Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Canadian Drone Regulation - as of July 20th 2017
2344 30 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lucsvette
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Recreational Purposes

Subject to subsection (2), this Interim Order applies in respect of model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds).

It does not apply to
      a.  unmanned air vehicles; and
      b.  model aircraft operated at events organized by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) or at airfields located in a zone administered by MAAC or a MAAC club.

Suspended Provision Of Regulations

Prohibited Use

The effect of section 602.45 of the Regulations is suspended in respect of the model aircraft referred to in subsection 3(1).

Model Aircraft Operating and Flight Provisions

Prohibitions
   No person shall operate a model aircraft
      (a) at an altitude greater than 300 feet AGL;
      (b) within controlled airspace;
      (c) within restricted airspace;
      (d) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
      (e) over or within an open-air assembly of persons;
      (f) at night; or
      (g) in cloud.

No person shall operate more than one model aircraft at a time.

No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft.

No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 1 kg (2.2 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 250 feet (75 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft.

(a) within 3 nautical miles (5.5 km) of the centre of an aerodrome, except a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters;
      (b) within 1 nautical mile (1.8 km) of a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters; or
      (c) inside an aerodrome control zone.

(a) over or within an area of natural hazard or disaster; or
      (b) any area that is located within 9 km of an area of natural hazard or disaster.

Right of Way

A person operating a model aircraft must give way to manned aircraft at all times.

Visual Line-of-Sight

A person operating a model aircraft must ensure that it is operated within VLOS at all times during the flight.

No person shall operate a model aircraft at a lateral distance of more than 1640 feet (500 m) from the person’s location.

Contact Information

The owner of a model aircraft shall not operate or permit a person to operate the aircraft unless the name, address and telephone number of the owner are clearly made visible on the aircraft.

Link to the Regulation: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaro ... model-aircraft.html
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

whats this aboot?   eh?

sorry, i had to.... ywhat is with these stupid drone laws..  i get certain common sense aspects but can't fly no more then 500 metres and must always have VLOS?  its like lawmakers have no idea first person view is a thing and works staggeringly well and i think better than VLOS! flying VLOS is slightly disorienting sometimes specially if you dont instantly know which way you are facing.  first person view is actually pretty nice and if you're a bit lost you can just move around hovering in place and move gimble up and down.. its just more natural.. my only 2 complaints about FPV is the field of view is a bit to narrow, would like it if i got a few degrees wider..and i forgot my second complaint..wtf?!  guess not that bad then..

im considering getting some HDMI based goggles of some kind, and use a apple lightning to lightning+HDMI splitter  pairing them up to that and a battery bank.. i have a friend who let me borrow her apple lighting hdmi splitter thingy and i tested lag out on my gaming monitor and its honestly 1:1 mirroring of my iPad mini 2, very rare occasional delay which isnt that large maybe  like 100ms delay, but that could be because i'm running ios 11 beta and i was also recording screen on ipad itself, and could be because im on an older iPad..
2017-8-8
Use props
Surface2Air
First Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

This PDF version is handy to keep on your device in case you end up  dealing with someone that wants to argue the laws

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docum ... g_for_fun_EN-V6.pdf
2017-8-8
Use props
lucsvette
Captain
Canada

Surface2Air Posted at 2017-8-8 10:55
This PDF version is handy to keep on your device in case you end up  dealing with someone that wants to argue the laws

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Flying_for_fun_EN-V6.pdf

good addition .. I forgot to add it to my original post
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

at least canada is loosening their death grip against Small UAS aircraft
2017-8-8
Use props
Rawsome
First Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hopefully DJI will update their NFZ soon. I was pleasantly surprised when i found out that TC had loosen their regulations
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-8 12:41
Hopefully DJI will update their NFZ soon. I was pleasantly surprised when i found out that TC had loosen their regulations

ya kinda cool, now if i visit canada i will be able to fly around not not be hassled.. actually i probably still will be hassled.. that's just what bored police like to do sometimes..
2017-8-8
Use props
Rawsome
First Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Unless you are flying around the parliament or in an airport and follow our restrictions - no one here will bother you.
The truth it Transport Canada is trying to set new laws(wich is kinda needed) but has no way to enforce them due to a lack of funding and staffing.
I always carry a copy of the latest restriction with me just in case some one gets on my case. Wich yet has to happen in real life (online is a different beast lol)
It's Canada - peeps here are just way too chill ;)))
2017-8-8
Use props
Surface2Air
First Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-8 17:14
Unless you are flying around the parliament or in an airport and follow our restrictions - no one here will bother you.
The truth it Transport Canada is trying to set new laws(wich is kinda needed) but has no way to enforce them due to a lack of funding and staffing.
I always carry a copy of the latest restriction with me just in case some one gets on my case. Wich yet has to happen in real life (online is a different beast lol)

Yeah we're pretty chill and layed back, being polite always helps too
2017-8-9
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Has anyone in Canada found an affordable insurance provider? The new proposed regulations require $100K liability. It says that they estimate the cost to be $15/year (which I am fine with), but I can't find it for less than $1000/year (which is ridiculous).
2017-8-9
Use props
Mattymatt
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-9 15:16
Has anyone in Canada found an affordable insurance provider? The new proposed regulations require $100K liability. It says that they estimate the cost to be $15/year (which I am fine with), but I can't find it for less than $1000/year (which is ridiculous).

The insurance and license for a 250g-1kg drone is just ridiculous. This is going to absolutely kill the hobby for Canadians and DJI will be losing a lot of Canadian business.

I am content with the current drone regulations in Canada (other than the clearly marked name, address, phone number, and prohibited night flying) but adding in the examination to pass and renew every few years and insurance is just crossing the line.

This being a drafted proposal, can anyone familiar with legislation tell me how likely it is for these new regulations and laws to actually pass?
2017-8-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

everyone should have some liability insurance regardless..100K is nothing, i recomend a lot more, specially if you own property/land or have increased risk, such as hobby of quadcopters..   just good to have anyway.   i dont know if canada considers drones as high risk and wants to separate it into another category, which would suck.

as for insurance for drone in terms of if it's stolen or broken or dies... check with your agent and see if they can slide it into your personal property insurance, the specialty underwriters maybe able to work with you.
2017-8-9
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Canada

Mattymatt Posted at 2017-8-9 16:08
The insurance and license for a 250g-1kg drone is just ridiculous. This is going to absolutely kill the hobby for Canadians and DJI will be losing a lot of Canadian business.

I am content with the current drone regulations in Canada (other than the clearly marked name, address, phone number, and prohibited night flying) but adding in the examination to pass and renew every few years and insurance is just crossing the line.

The proposed "license" is similar to the boating exam. Simple, just makes sure people know the rules. I'm not opposed to that, mostly because I see these things being sold in camera stores and big box retailers, places where they really don't care about teaching the rules, just selling product.

I also don't like the name/address/phone number thing. I don't want my address on there lest some crazy person decide to pay me a visit for no reason. No thank you!

And the night thing stinks. Many of my best photos have been long night exposures with my Phantom. Long exposures are what got me into photography!
2017-8-9
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-8 10:41
whats this aboot?   eh?

sorry, i had to.... ywhat is with these stupid drone laws..  i get certain common sense aspects but can't fly no more then 500 metres and must always have VLOS?  its like lawmakers have no idea first person view is a thing and works staggeringly well and i think better than VLOS! flying VLOS is slightly disorienting sometimes specially if you dont instantly know which way you are facing.  first person view is actually pretty nice and if you're a bit lost you can just move around hovering in place and move gimble up and down.. its just more natural.. my only 2 complaints about FPV is the field of view is a bit to narrow, would like it if i got a few degrees wider..and i forgot my second complaint..wtf?!  guess not that bad then..

too bad FPV is illegal in Canada as well
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-9 15:16

where do you see the regulations stating you need insurance? or are you using for professional work?
2017-8-10
Use props
Mattymatt
Canada

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-10 02:46
where do you see the regulations stating you need insurance? or are you using for professional work?

Here is a link to the proposed regulations about insurance and licensing.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... nada.html#liability
2017-8-10
Use props
lucsvette
Captain
Canada

My 2cents after reading the Transport Canada Liability Insurance requirements for anyone flying an aircraft.  It doesn't call out Drones specifically which means either they need to update the ruling or come up with a new rule for drones.  

I have mixed feelings around liability insurance for drones weighing 250g to 2000g (2kg).  
     - Yes I agree that liability would protect the pilot and it's surroundings of any accident; which might cause the pilot to be more respectful of where / how they fly their drone.  
     - Where I don't agree is the ac owner's liability insurance is needed to cover accidental damage caused by equipment failure; the manufacture (DJI in this case) is liable for a malfunctioning drone due to ac, rc or app equipment failure.  Why as an ac pilot/owner use my liability insurance to cover damages caused by a drone that crashed due to equipment failures; not pilot errors (like those listed in the forum of drones dropping from the sky for no reason)

Like I said, I have mixed feelings about liability insurance.
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

Mattymatt Posted at 2017-8-10 07:25
Here is a link to the proposed regulations about insurance and licensing.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html#liability

Non-recreational users must continue to seek authorization from Transport Canada to operate through a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), unless they meet the strict safety conditions in our exemptions.

this is what i found. i am not deviating from those guidelines so i guess i don't need the insurance or license.
2017-8-10
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Canada

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-10 08:49
Non-recreational users must continue to seek authorization from Transport Canada to operate through a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), unless they meet the strict safety conditions in our exemptions.

this is what i found. i am not deviating from those guidelines so i guess i don't need the insurance or license.

Did you not read the link? it literally says everyone will need some minimum license and insurance...
2017-8-10
Use props
Mattymatt
Canada

Liability insurance

All operators who fly a drone that weighs more than 250 g for any purpose will need to be insured through a liability insurance provider for at least $100,000.
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-10 16:52
Did you not read the link? it literally says everyone will need some minimum license and insurance...

sorry i must have missed it but i just seen it. that sucks!
2017-8-11
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

so has anyone found a decent provider yet?
2017-8-11
Use props
lucsvette
Captain
Canada

haven't looked .. don't want to ask my insurance as they may force me to get insurance even if it doesn't become a regulation.  i'll wait for TC to finalize the regulation here in Canada first
2017-8-11
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Canada

lucsvette Posted at 2017-8-11 09:52
haven't looked .. don't want to ask my insurance as they may force me to get insurance even if it doesn't become a regulation.  i'll wait for TC to finalize the regulation here in Canada first

That's my plan, too. Usually when regulations are set, there is an adoption period where you will only get warnings. I'll let that period pass while insurance companies get their act together.
2017-8-13
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-13 12:10
That's my plan, too. Usually when regulations are set, there is an adoption period where you will only get warnings. I'll let that period pass while insurance companies get their act together.

good plan, i will also do this.
2017-8-14
Use props
fansce75b10b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41837 ft
United States

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-8 17:14

Off topic, but I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks. Any scenic places nearby that I could go video? Nature type stuff, waterfalls etc.?
Thanks
2017-8-14
Use props
TheCyberKnight
lvl.4
Canada

fansce75b10b Posted at 2017-8-14 05:35
Off topic, but I'm going to Montreal in a couple of weeks. Any scenic places nearby that I could go video? Nature type stuff, waterfalls etc.?
Thanks

- Mont Royal (forest like urban park)
- Rapides de Lachine (Lachine's rapids - turbulent water where kayaks have fun)
- Mont Saint-Hilaire (small 400m isolated mountain in a plain, park and lake in its center, 30 min from Montreal)
- Parc des Iles de Boucherville (Boucherville Islands Park - several small islands near the city in the St-Lawrence river)

Unfortunately no waterfall in the immediate city vicinity. Large one near Quebec city (Montmorency Waterfall, 230 km from Montreal)

Also, be aware of the Montreal International Trudeau airport located about 12 km west of Mont Royal but about 6 km from Lachine.

Will post again if I think of something else.
Enjoy your stay.
2017-8-14
Use props
fansce75b10b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41837 ft
United States

TheCyberKnight Posted at 2017-8-14 07:53
- Mont Royal (forest like urban park)
- Rapides de Lachine (Lachine's rapids - turbulent water where kayaks have fun)
- Mont Saint-Hilaire (small 400m isolated mountain in a plain, park and lake in its center, 30 min from Montreal)

Thanks! Appreciate it!
2017-8-21
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

A slightly different question on Canadian regulation regarding Drones.

In the US only the FAA has jurisdiction over air space. So agencies such as the National Park Service or local cities can enact laws or regulations governing takeoff, landing, and operation from within their boundaries but not overflight. So absent controlled or restricted airspace, or a TFR (temporary flight restriction) it is legal (although perhaps not a good idea) to fly into (for example) a National Park so long as you are operating the aircraft from outside the national park and do not land or take off there.

How does this work in Canada?
2017-8-21
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Canada

OneMatt Posted at 2017-8-13 12:10

i agree and align with this strategy .. the longer the wait the better ..
2017-8-21
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Canada

TranceMist Posted at 2017-8-21 06:03
A slightly different question on Canadian regulation regarding Drones.

In the US only the FAA has jurisdiction over air space. So agencies such as the National Park Service or local cities can enact laws or regulations governing takeoff, landing, and operation from within their boundaries but not overflight. So absent controlled or restricted airspace, or a TFR (temporary flight restriction) it is legal (although perhaps not a good idea) to fly into (for example) a National Park so long as you are operating the aircraft from outside the national park and do not land or take off there.

my non-educated guess would be, the same here.  Each city, municipalities or other can have restrictions over and above what has been set out by Transport Canada (= to FAA).  Example: City of Ottawa have a no fly policy in all their parks and city owned property.

I just hope that north America don't become to restrictive and allow us some freedom to flying our drones for fun.
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules