Faulty gimbal on DJI official refurb
1287 11 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
graves_clay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8363 ft
United States

I purchased a refurb unit about 2 weeks ago and have had her up about 3 times. On the initial flight I noticed some slight roll oscilating in the footage (camera only, bird is stable). The gimbal was warm on return but everything I've found online said that was normal. Now after the 3rd flight I have a hard roll back and forth forever in the gimbal. Occasionally she will lose it and just start spinning the camera in random directions into the hard stops of motion. I've tried IMU, Gimbal, and Compass calibrations as well as 2 firmware updates and neither has corrected the issue. I've used the official DJI contact form for email support, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone have any ideas? I feel like this is a faulty sensor somewhere. Should I try to get the retailer to take it back?
2017-8-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I would return it.  Warranty is good for refurbished products too.
2017-8-8
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

absolutely
2017-8-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

?

I thought the warranty stated that the product had to be returned within 7 days of purchase.  Am I mistaken?

http://www.dji.com/service/policy
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Have you crashed it before? If not, I would recommend you to send it in for diagnosis and repair/replace.
2017-8-8
Use props
graves_clay
lvl.1
United States

No crashes. Gimbal has never touched the ground. One fast landing in atti mode, gave a little "hop" when it touched down, but not by much. Issue was apparent when brand new. Shuddering in the roll axis of the gimbal, maybe 2 or 3 degrees. After firmware update where the gimbal lost its mind, it now it is swinging wildly. Motors were running too-hot-to-touch from the first powerup.

I'm suspecting someone part-swapped a new one, and that is why it was refurbished. Reached out to DJI support, but not getting a fast reply.
2017-8-9
Use props
graves_clay
lvl.1
United States

Holy god the repair website AND customer service are TERRIBLY
2017-8-9
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Stick with the admins
2017-8-9
Use props
graves_clay
lvl.1
United States

Sent in for diagnosis. The repair form took almost an hour to complete because it kept crashing out. Here's hoping they figure it out. If they try to bill me for it I'm telling them to keep the thing. From the horror stories around here, I'm worried they are going to try to pin it on me, because I did the firmware update and it got worse at some point after. Fingers crossed.
2017-8-10
Use props
graves_clay
lvl.1
United States

Now being pressed to accept a refund instead of a replacement or repair (even though it has already been shipped for repair). A refund won't even get me a new unit as the price went back up $50.
2017-8-15
Use props
Watdowehavehere
New
Australia

Got a refurb p3 standard unit in Australia. From dji official store on ebay. Sigh. Worst decision ive ever made. Flew it straight up 30m in beginner mode then went to fly over a sparsely branched tree... couldnt regain signal. "Saftey landing" began right on top of the tree. Phantom crashed... rather gently to be fair.... now I have a horrid rolling shutter effect on all footage both gov and on the ad card. And im lucky to get further than 50 meters in any direction even in complete view in an open field without losing vision and control. Would have been more fun wiping my butt with 6 $100 bills and flushing them down the dunny. Should have bought the $40 "selfie drone" from Kmart. Gŕrr.

And stupid me is actually considering a mavic. SURELY this one will work... right?
2017-8-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

It's a roll of the dice.
2017-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules