Polar Pro ND filters VS Polar Pro polarized ND filters
3666 2 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The_Death_Angel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134062 ft
Australia

I use my P4P mainly to shoot video. I recently purchased polarpro's Artisan Collection which comes with ND32/PL, ND64/PL and ND128/PL. I was reading somewhere on the internet about rotating the filter to get the best results and i don;'t know what that means ecaxtly. Question i am asking did i waste my money purchasing polarized filters when i should have purchased standard features? Can i use polarized filters to shoot video or are polarized filters made for photos only?
2017-8-8
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

Hi The_Death_Angel,

I saw your post and would be happy to provide a little more information about this for you.  Polarizer filters work equally well for both photos and video work, their purpose (and the reason for the rotation) is the removal of glare, lens flares, or other polarized light in your shots.  For an example of this in action, hold one of the filters up in front of your computer monitor and begin rotating it - at peak polarization, the monitor will appear completely blank when viewed through the filter.

Polarizers by nature require more setup time and adjustment to get consistent results with, due to the fact that the way the polarization looks is variable depending on the angle of the camera relative to the sun.  They can provide absolutely stunning results, however, so I have found the added effort to be well worth it when shooting with my own polarized filters (I fly a Mavic).  The question of whether to use a polarized filter should depend on your needs and the amount of time you have to spend on the shoot.  If you want something you can simply mount and fly without needing to spend any setup time on, then a normal ND filter would likely serve you better.

In the case of the specific pack you bought, those will be most useful for photos, not because of the polarization but rather due to the high ND values those filters offer.  The ND32/PL would be the only one in that pack I would recommend for use when recording video - the 64 and 128 will darken the image by too much to be useful for that.  The Artisan and Exposure collections for the Phantom 4 Pro are designed with long exposures in mind, so if you're looking for a more general-use set then either the Vivid or Shutter collections would be the best fit.  Should you want to return or exchange this set, please email support@polarpro.com and we'll happily set that up for you.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-8-9
Use props
ImFly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164081 ft
United States

First I enjoy your videos. I'd stick with ND's without polarizer. For polarizer to work correctly you need to be 90 degrees angle from the sun. Rotating the lens on our drones is impossible unless you bring it down but then you must be at the same point in your scene to capture correctly. I mainly do photography on the ground and circular polarizer can be difficult at times with the scene and relative position to the sun. Set your drone on a flat surface and point it at a shiny surface then rotate the filter you'll see on you display the the filter changes the glare on that shiny surface. Water is good one to practice on the polarizer should let you see into the water but again this is relative to your position to the sun. I hope that helped, I ended up trading my polarizers for the ND's they work very well. I kinda think this was marketing to the ground photographer who had them on their land cameras because they work, but in the air thats a different story. 8)
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules