Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using a mini Ipad to fly my Mavic
1002 22 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7dc640c3
lvl.1
Australia

Does my Ipad need to have cellular data like a mobile in order to fly further than 50m? Or am I missing something? Done all the updates. Every thing is working fine, exept I wont be able to fly further away than 50m or climb mor than 30m.

2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nope, no need to have cellular data. Have you signed in the APP? Try to reinstall the APP, then sign in the APP  with cellular or wifi, see if it works.
2017-8-9
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

It sounds like you are not logged in and registered on the app. I just got my iPad mini4  (WiFi only) and have flown out well over a mile and over 250 meters in elevation (this is in the mountains).  I love it. It fits nicely in the RC and provides a much better view than a small phone.
2017-8-9
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-8-9 05:50
It sounds like you are not logged in and registered on the app. I just got my iPad mini4  (WiFi only) and have flown out well over a mile and over 250 meters in elevation (this is in the mountains).  I love it. It fits nicely in the RC and provides a much better view than a small phone.

What is your method in caching map?
2017-8-9
Use props
Bobfin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52618 ft
United Kingdom

I've just ordered iPad mini 4 as i find using the iPhone 6 no use, battery life on these phones is poor. good luck with it. Think the only issue you will have is with the maps, you could connect to the hotspot on your phone if its with you when flying, this may help.
2017-8-9
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-8-9 09:44
What is your method in caching map?

You can cache/download the map at home before leaving.
2017-8-9
Use props
Maveriksam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

You'll be fine. My iPad mini does not have cellular either and I've never had a problem.
Bobfin is correct with the map issue.
Who fly's with the maps anyway? I don't think I've ever used that screen.
2017-8-9
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2017-8-9 10:43
You can cache/download the map at home before leaving.

Where is that option hidden? On Android there is an option "off-line map", can't find that one on iOS...
2017-8-9
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

Mari Posted at 2017-8-9 11:40
Where is that option hidden? On Android there is an option "off-line map", can't find that one on iOS...

Don't turn your MP ON. Keep your MP OFF. Turn your DJI GO4 ON, connect to WIFI, then click on the radar map, bring the map up and it will cache.

Then before you fly you turn WIFI off and fly in airplane mode and you will see the map that was cached.

Under GENREAL SETTINGS, turn on "cache map in the background!".

2017-8-9
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

Bobfin Posted at 2017-8-9 09:54
I've just ordered iPad mini 4 as i find using the iPhone 6 no use, battery life on these phones is poor. good luck with it. Think the only issue you will have is with the maps, you could connect to the hotspot on your phone if its with you when flying, this may help.

IPhone 6 had a battery issues. I have been using IPHONE 6S+ WITH no issues in AIRPLANE MODE still on .700 FW

2017-8-9
Use props
fans7dc640c3
lvl.1
Australia

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-8-9 10:57
You'll be fine. My iPad mini does not have cellular either and I've never had a problem.

So why does that Mavic only go 50 m . I am on update .900. Can't see anywhere else where to change the height settings. I set mine to 120m but it stops at 30m
2017-8-9
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans7dc640c3 Posted at 2017-8-9 14:42
So why does that Mavic only go 50 m . I am on update .900. Can't see anywhere else where to change the height settings. I set mine to 120m but it stops at 30m

Are you using the goggles ?
2017-8-9
Use props
fans7dc640c3
lvl.1
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-8-9 14:45
Are you using the goggles ?

no, don't use them.
2017-8-9
Use props
TJAUS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16683 ft
Australia

Silly question, but do you have Beginner Mode switched on?
2017-8-9
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

fans7dc640c3 Posted at 2017-8-9 14:42

You need to login into your account and register your drone and then you will unlock the height and distance. and make sure you are NOT in beginner mode.

2017-8-9
Use props
fans7dc640c3
lvl.1
Australia

finally found the place where to unlock the NFZ but struck another problem. I have chosen the area where I want to fly and put in the serial nr of the controller. Then it asked me to click on the pin on the map, which I did several times since nothing was happening. Then clicked on submit. But it jumped back to the sentence "click on the pin "
So I am still not unlocked!?!?
2017-8-9
Use props
calmari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64944 ft
United Kingdom

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-8-9 10:57

I know you can cache maps or hotspt to the phone to get them but if you don't do any of that, am I correct in saying you don't even have a map showing what home point is registered?

I don't think I'd ever need to fly with a map but I can see it being essential for home point confirmation and in case you lost it.
2017-8-10
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
United States

calmari Posted at 2017-8-10 02:03
I know you can cache maps or hotspt to the phone to get them but if you don't do any of that, am I correct in saying you don't even have a map showing what home point is registered?

I don't think I'd ever need to fly with a map but I can see it being essential for home point confirmation and in case you lost it.

The home point defaults to where the Mavic starts up.
2017-8-10
Use props
Maveriksam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2017-8-10 02:03

You will still see the home point set in the middle of the blank map. As long as you see that then your good to go.
2017-8-10
Use props
calmari
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-8-10 05:45
The home point defaults to where the Mavic starts up.

Yes I get that. As long as it registers the home point properly then you should be good to go.
2017-8-10
Use props
calmari
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-8-10 10:18
You will still see the home point set in the middle of the blank map. As long as you see that then your good to go.

That's kind of what I thought. If there is no map I guess you rely on it actually registering home point accurately and hope for the best. I've seen people claiming their home point was off so i would have thought it best to check against a map.
2017-8-10
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
United States

calmari Posted at 2017-8-10 14:20
That's kind of what I thought. If there is no map I guess you rely on it actually registering home point accurately and hope for the best. I've seen people claiming their home point was off so i would have thought it best to check against a map.

That's correct. The App (iPad or phone) is not needed to register the home point for the drone but I think it's important to verify the home pad on the map to be sure it's correct.  I think it's important to make sure the map is working for that reason. An uninstall / reinstall is no big deal and fixes the problem. That said, I sure wish DJI would fix this bug.
2017-8-11
Use props
Tealk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

you try to fly in beginner mode?
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules