Manfrotto D1 vs MANFROTTO Pro-Light MB PL-3N1-36
1637 15 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc7605bcf
lvl.2
Australia

Looking at getting one of these bags, which one will have more space? Would love to hear from people who have these bags
2017-8-9
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I purchased the Pro-Light just recently in order to take my P4 on a trip via commercial airline.  I couldn't have been more pleased with it, and was impressed by the quality.  It was really the perfect size for taking on an airplane and fit all my P4 accessories AND my laptop.  I still had room for more stuff if I had the need.  I will say that I wish it was just a few millimeters wider, because the way I had things organized, the controller was sort of a tight fit with that metal stand part on the bottom.  But it zipped up fine without too much fuss.

I've never had the D1, but I can tell from the photos that it's much taller.  So to answer your question, I'd say the D1 should have a lot more space.  Looks too large to carry on an airplane, but for other uses it may be what you want.  I personally wouldn't want anything larger than the Pro-Light that I've got.  Unless of course I needed to carry some camping gear as well.
2017-8-9
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

For my P4 I have the Ultimaxx Pro II which appears to be identical to the Manfrotto D1. This photo shows it in blue but mine is in identical colours to the Manfrotto, I suspect that maybe Ultimaxx manufacture them for Manfrotto?

http://www.ultimaxxusa.com/catal ... hp?products_id=1731

As Irate Retro says, the top section provides extra space which I find useful for non-drone items such as a light fleece and cagool in case the weather changes (I'm British : ) The P4, RC, spare batteries, filters etc all fit in the lower section. It's a close fit to get everything in but not too tight.

It's comfy to wear when walking.
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-8-9 08:01
For my P4 I have the Ultimaxx Pro II which appears to be identical to the Manfrotto D1. This photo shows it in blue but mine is in identical colours to the Manfrotto, I suspect that maybe Ultimaxx manufacture them for Manfrotto?

http://www.ultimaxxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1731

Wow - and a third of the price. If it really is identical to the Manfrotto D1 I might have to get myself one. Nice find. Don't suppose you want to track down the OEM for the Pro-Light too do you?
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-8-9 08:01

http://www.ultimaxxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1731

Infact... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimax ... ories/dp/B01AKD6758 Not far off??!!
2017-8-9
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-9 08:31
Infact... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimaxx-Backpack-Quadcopter-Professional-Accessories/dp/B01AKD6758 Not far off??!!

It's similar in basic layout only.  Not close enough IMHO to even be called close to the Pro-Light.  

Will it do the same thing, sure.  But you won't know about the level of padding and quality until you can touch it.  I will say that all my P4 stuff and my oldish laptop was VERY heavy and I was glad there was quality stitching on those straps.  A cheap backpack I'm sure would have ripped threads out.
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-9 08:39
It's similar in basic layout only.  Not close enough IMHO to even be called close to the Pro-Light.  

Will it do the same thing, sure.  But you won't know about the level of padding and quality until you can touch it.  I will say that all my P4 stuff and my oldish laptop was VERY heavy and I was glad there was quality stitching on those straps.  A cheap backpack I'm sure would have ripped threads out.

I personally use a cheap Navitech bag. Not the greatest quality but the bird sits deep inside the bag and protects the s**t out of it. I couldn't say the same for the D1 where the wings are very close to the edge of the bag. It's also one of the few bags on the market that meets budget European airline carry on restrictions. And it fits my modded antenna, which larger bags could not https://www.amazon.com/Navitech- ... ional/dp/B01BYDUPU6

I've not looked at the pro light before. It looks like it could tick a lot of the same boxes. Like the look of it a lot.
2017-8-9
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-9 08:31
Infact... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimaxx-Backpack-Quadcopter-Professional-Accessories/dp/B01AKD6758 Not far off??!!

That one you have found is I think the previous Ultimaxx version, and seems to me to be very similar to the previous official DJI backpack, which is part of why I wonder whether Ultimaxx make them for other companies and rebadge them.

http://www.dronesforless.co.uk/dji/dji-original-phantom-backpack/

My Ultimaxx Pro II seems to have good quality cloth and stitching and I doubt the genuine Manfrotto D1 would be any better though I've not seen one of those.

Not only did I pay less because mine has an Ultimaxx badge instead of Manfrotto, I paid even less because I got it on eBay, brand new with tags, from someone who must have bought in error or bought it and didn't like it

2017-8-9
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
Flight distance : 781624 ft
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-9 03:07
I purchased the Pro-Light just recently in order to take my P4 on a trip via commercial airline.  I couldn't have been more pleased with it, and was impressed by the quality.  It was really the perfect size for taking on an airplane and fit all my P4 accessories AND my laptop.  I still had room for more stuff if I had the need.  I will say that I wish it was just a few millimeters wider, because the way I had things organized, the controller was sort of a tight fit with that metal stand part on the bottom.  But it zipped up fine without too much fuss.

I've never had the D1, but I can tell from the photos that it's much taller.  So to answer your question, I'd say the D1 should have a lot more space.  Looks too large to carry on an airplane, but for other uses it may be what you want.  I personally wouldn't want anything larger than the Pro-Light that I've got.  Unless of course I needed to carry some camping gear as well.

I have a D1 and I have taken it on a European airliner , no issues at all . In my D1 i can fit my p4, 3 batteries, the controller, 2 sets of props, car charger and standard charger, ND filters, an iPad mini, a laptop a Nikon D810 with 24-70mm, nikkor 16-35mm f4 lens and a large filter pouch.It has a fair bit weight when loaded up but handles it well

Perfect for me to do DSLR and drone work.
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Max App Posted at 2017-8-9 13:39
I have a D1 and I have taken it on a European airliner , no issues at all . In my D1 i can fit my p4, 3 batteries, the controller, 2 sets of props, car charger and standard charger, ND filters, an iPad mini, a laptop a Nikon D810 with 24-70mm, nikkor 16-35mm f4 lens and a large filter pouch.It has a fair bit weight when loaded up but handles it well

Perfect for me to do DSLR and drone work.

You obviously haven't been on the same sh**y airlines as me because I also have owned the D1 and have been stopped on two occasions. It's the length that did it. Most of em never check but get on enough planes and you will get caught out eventually.
2017-8-9
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-9 13:56
You obviously haven't been on the same sh**y airlines as me because I also have owned the D1 and have been stopped on two occasions. It's the length that did it. Most of em never check but get on enough planes and you will get caught out eventually.

Not sure who your flying with but in the Uk,Ryanair tends to be the strictest and the D1 meets their requirements.
2017-8-9
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Max App Posted at 2017-8-9 14:51
Not sure who your flying with but in the Uk,Ryanair tends to be the strictest and the D1 meets their requirements.

Ryanair's carry on dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm
The D1 is 56cm x 34cm x 23cm without being packed to the brim.

Like I say, when you are talking a couple of cm, 99 times out of 100, you will be fine - but when the alternative is handing your drone (in a soft bag) over to be checked in (it has happened to me on Ryanair)... I'd just prefer to take a case that is slightly under rather just over the specified dimensions!
2017-8-9
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to throw another option out there, this pack is great. It's really well thought out and well built.
2017-8-9
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Even if you can barely get by your chosen airline's size restrictions, you've still gotta get that thing into an overhead bin.  And on a regional aircraft with small bins that might be difficult.  If you've gotta stick the thing in the long way (monopolizing the size of like 3 bags), and if you're not in a priority boarding group, you might be stuck in a difficult position.  

I sure would not want to have to gate check a drone contained in only a soft case... I'm certain it would be smashed to bits.  Maybe EU airlines are nicer to your junk.  Then again probably not as many CRJs flying around over there so overhead space might not even be an issue.  Here we don't have the "luxury" of 737's for 1 hour puddle jumps usually.
2017-8-9
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-8-9 15:31
Ryanair's carry on dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm
The D1 is 56cm x 34cm x 23cm without being packed to the brim.

well I have the bag and full loaded it measures slightly smaller in real life, meeting the requirements, believe me i checked like 10 times the first time i flew with it. it will also fit in the measuring rack with minimal compression. they can't take it in the hold due the batteries. It's illegal for lipo batteries to be put in the hold due to pressure change. its the best bag on the market IMO as either i can carry a suitcase like backpack thats just hideous and super obvious that you have a drone or i can take a hardcase and look like i am hired assassin wheeling my gun about. Either way the D1 is most practical and doesn't draw too much attention. especially if your a taller man.
2017-8-14
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-8-9 18:05
Even if you can barely get by your chosen airline's size restrictions, you've still gotta get that thing into an overhead bin.  And on a regional aircraft with small bins that might be difficult.  If you've gotta stick the thing in the long way (monopolizing the size of like 3 bags), and if you're not in a priority boarding group, you might be stuck in a difficult position.  

I sure would not want to have to gate check a drone contained in only a soft case... I'm certain it would be smashed to bits.  Maybe EU airlines are nicer to your junk.  Then again probably not as many CRJs flying around over there so overhead space might not even be an issue.  Here we don't have the "luxury" of 737's for 1 hour puddle jumps usually.

it was fine in overhead compartment on a budget airline, bare in mind people take small suitcases. a
As a precaution i just pay for priority boarding
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules