Will DJI Ever allow gimbal Follow mode in sports mode?
3241 8 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

this is really the one thing that I find missing on the Spark: gimbal only operates in FPV mode as soon as you switch to sports, making it impossible to use it to shoot faster moving subjects even though the Soark can handle the speed. Is it a gimbal hardware limitation or a software choice. If so, will it be addressed in future updates?

Here is a clip I did with a Mavic, there is no way to do this with the spark... yeah I know... the Spark isn't supposed to be a Baby Mavic

https://instagram.com/p/BXlC88vBsYj/
2017-8-9
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

what is the difference between fpv and follow ... if I use the spark for filming?
2017-8-9
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
United States

Follow keep the gimbal level at all time which let's you move the drone in any direction you want including sideway sweeps as iN the link I posted   In FPV mode, which is what you get in sports mode on the  Spark the gimbal tilts when turning or sweeping sideways making it totally useless
2017-8-9
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

i highly doubt this will ever be an option although it would be awesome.
2017-8-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-9 09:14
i highly doubt this will ever be an option although it would be awesome.

Gimbal is fairly limited range of movement.. it’s also a tad bit too slow in stock settings of firmware.. you can really speed it up with mods but dji being dji will save it for spark 2...

watch spark 2 be a clone of spark 1 just has all features/soft mods we want/been playing with.  
2017-8-9
Use props
kasei
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

there should be an advance sport film mode !

i can imagine the gimbal isnt fast enough for quick level changes and movements. but there is a lot of room.

it shouldnt be that hard to programm a mode where the gimabl is in follow mode as long as its possible, with enough room for countermovemnts.

it wouldnt be taht big of a difference for the hardware. in sport mode the gimbal moves to and doesnt lock instantly
2017-8-9
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
United States

I can understand why some extreme stick movement in sports mode may be harder to follow but I can't believe the gimbal isn't quick enough to handle reasonably smooth inputs
2017-8-9
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lian82 Posted at 2017-8-9 08:16
what is the difference between fpv and follow ... if I use the spark for filming?

Follow = follow horizon.
FPV = first person view. Think of it as being superman.

I think its hardware limitation. The gimbal maxes out very fast on sports mode.
If there is enough processing power, i am sure DJI can do software enhancements with the EIS (electronic image stabilisation) to keep up. If (theoretically) the spark is using the entire sensor (4K) and then cropping back to 1080p then technically software should be able to step in and compensate the stabilisation.   
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It is introduced by our manual 云台自动进入FPV模式.png
Thanks for the advice, I'll forward this need to the engineers.
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules