3078 20 2017-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3621066 ft
  • >>>
United States

My friend has had his Inspire 1 for a couple years now, and last year he tried to do a firmware update and screwed up something... so now I've decided to try and help him figure it out. I downloaded the latest firmware from the DJI website and put it on a new formatted SD card and then updated the Inspire with it. The update seems to have been successful, because before the update, the drone was making a loud beeping coming from the motor/ESC or whatever, and I had no tail light or LED light. Now the loud beeping is gone, and it sems to be doing a regular start up sequence; tail light cycles through the multiple colors, then the rear LEDs go to a slow flashing yellow light for a while, then a fast flashing yellow light, like it can't find a remote to link to.

The other issue I am having is when I go into the app with the remote turned on, it recognizes the remote and goes to the Phantom 3 Advanced instead of the Inspire. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a feeling this is because I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and the iPad is the device that I regularly use with it.

So I think my main issue is that I can't seem to get the aircraft and the remote linked properly, even after trying the linking button located at the front/right of the inspire. Is there something simple that I'm missing, or could it be that the remote and the drone are on different firmware versions? If I can't get the app to recognize the remote as an Inspire remote, how can I check the firmware version of the remote?

Any recommendations or answers would be greatly appreciated, from both me and my friend!
Thanks!
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was reading your post and thought you might want to just do a factory reset on the remote. Then do a manual linking process to connect to the Inspire. Once you are connected and have the Green LED on the remote... try the App again and see if it changes to Inspire 1
Rich
Try to reset the remote controller.
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

Manually relink the aircraft to the RC using the following:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
*Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon

2017-8-9
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-9 19:46
I was reading your post and thought you might want to just do a factory reset on the remote. Then do a manual linking process to connect to the Inspire. Once you are connected and have the Green LED on the remote... try the App again and see if it changes to Inspire 1
Rich
Try to reset the remote controller.

Thanks for the reply. I tried the method you said for manually linking it. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. I got the blue light with the constant D-D-D-D from the remote, then I pressed the linking button on the aircraft and after a few seconds, I got a small green light just above the linking button, but now the LED light on the remote is flashing very rapidly through what appears to be green, yellow, and red; too fast to discern the exact colors. I have let it sit for a few minutes, and still no luck with getting the app to recognize the inspire.

any other ideas?
2017-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-9 20:11
Thanks for the reply. I tried the method you said for manually linking it. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. I got the blue light with the constant D-D-D-D from the remote, then I pressed the linking button on the aircraft and after a few seconds, I got a small green light just above the linking button, but now the LED light on the remote is flashing very rapidly through what appears to be green, yellow, and red; too fast to discern the exact colors. I have let it sit for a few minutes, and still no luck with getting the app to recognize the inspire.

any other ideas?

Okay, that is telling you the remote FW is inconsistent with the Inspire 1 and you will need to update the remote FW.  But it sounds like you are linked to the Inspire.

When you connect the remote to the Go App you should be able to update the FW depending on the level you are currently.  First you need to see what version the remote FW is, then you will know how to proceed. When the App is running look at the general information tab on the far top right (three dots) go to about and read the version information.

If it is an older version you need to put the .bin file on a flush drive and install it into the remote USB port (inspire not turned on!!)  here is a link to Donnie's write up
http://forum.dji.com/thread-47577-1-1.html
If you are  on  VERSION 1.3 (I believe) its late and you should read the post above to be sure. Then you can update the FW using the Go App.
Make sure it is looking at the Inspire 1 page in the App. You might need to have the Inspire 1 turned on to get the proper page in the App, then you can turn off the Inspire 1 before updating

Hope this gets you moving in the right direction
Rich

IMG_0118.PNG IMG_0119.PNG IMG_0114.jpg
2017-8-9
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I am currently unable to even get into the camera/menu screen for the Inspire whether the aircraft is on or off. Usually when the remote is connected and powered on, you get a change from the "How To Connect" option to the "Camera" option. So far, I have not even been able to get it to change off of "How To Connect" so I havent been able to go in and see what firmware is actually being run.

I also tried updating the remote with the .bin file by putting on a newly formatted micro SD card and using a USB adapter directly into the back of the remote. No luck with that one either, just gives me the typical red light on start up and does not change at all. I think I need to figure out a way to get the app to recognize the remote and give me the option to enter the Inspire one camera screen with all the menus and setting and everything.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-9 21:38
I am currently unable to even get into the camera/menu screen for the Inspire whether the aircraft is on or off. Usually when the remote is connected and powered on, you get a change from the "How To Connect" option to the "Camera" option. So far, I have not even been able to get it to change off of "How To Connect" so I havent been able to go in and see what firmware is actually being run.

I also tried updating the remote with the .bin file by putting on a newly formatted micro SD card and using a USB adapter directly into the back of the remote. No luck with that one either, just gives me the typical red light on start up and does not change at all. I think I need to figure out a way to get the app to recognize the remote and give me the option to enter the Inspire one camera screen with all the menus and setting and everything.

Smith, if the RC was recognized as Phantom 3 Advanced, the RC firmware was failed to update, please try the steps below:
press the C1 button, C2 button, video recording button and camera settings dial at the same time, then restart the remote controller, open the APP to see if you can enter the main interface, then tap Overall Status. “The RC is required to update” will be shown under Overall Status.
2017-8-9
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have also tried that method and had no luck. Is it possible that I am unable to get into the main interface because I have never actually used an Inspire with my iPad? I have used both the Phantom 3 Advanced and the Osmo with my iPad and both menu screens give me the "Camera" button instead of the "How to Connect" button even when the app is disconnected from everything. I also have the same "How to Connect" button on the Matrice, and I have also never flown one of those using my iPad.

inspire

inspire
2017-8-10
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-10 15:40
I have also tried that method and had no luck. Is it possible that I am unable to get into the main interface because I have never actually used an Inspire with my iPad? I have used both the Phantom 3 Advanced and the Osmo with my iPad and both menu screens give me the "Camera" button instead of the "How to Connect" button even when the app is disconnected from everything. I also have the same "How to Connect" button on the Matrice, and I have also never flown one of those using my iPad.

Sorry you are still having trouble

Yes, if the iPad has not been successfully connected to a Inspire 1, the you will not be allowed further into the App. This explains why you are seeing the Phantom screen.
My question is, when you turn on the remote while it is connected, does it work at all with the Go App?  
Do you see the Phantom menu? Do you see aircraft disconnected on the top left?  If not the remote is not talking to the device at all.

1> I was thinking you need to try another device cable or other device?
2> Wondering if you have a bad USB port on the remote.

Because technically you should get the Inspire menu working with the remote powered up and connected regardless of the FW.
What do you think?
Rich
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-10 15:40

I think he RC can connect to the APP at the first time, but it recognize the RC as Phantom 3, now the problem is, the RC failed to connect to APP completely, then no further attempt can be done.
Please refer to Rich's suggestion, change another mobile device and USB cable, if the problem persists, please send in the RC for repair.
2017-8-11
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-10 19:29
Sorry you are still having trouble

Yes, if the iPad has not been successfully connected to a Inspire 1, the you will not be allowed further into the App. This explains why you are seeing the Phantom screen.

Made a video explaining what is going on. I used my moms Samsung phone, and it allows me to go into the Camera screen in the app, but even with the remote on and connected, the app isn't recognizing the remote, so I can't see what firmware version is on the remote. I have the latest firmware (from Dji website) on the aircraft, and it seems like the update went well without any issues, so I have a feeling the firmware on the remote is different, but it still seems weird that the app isn't recognizing the remote at all.

2017-8-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-11 14:17
Made a video explaining what is going on. I used my moms Samsung phone, and it allows me to go into the Camera screen in the app, but even with the remote on and connected, the app isn't recognizing the remote, so I can't see what firmware version is on the remote. I have the latest firmware (from Dji website) on the aircraft, and it seems like the update went well without any issues, so I have a feeling the firmware on the remote is different, but it still seems weird that the app isn't recognizing the remote at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6RqcoqUSc

MS
Yes, the remote is on a different FW version ( I think this is pretty clear). Did you try looking into the general settings menu on the App with the remote (only) turned on. Does the main Inspire 1  page camera button ever turn blue?  It is hard to see, but the DJI Go App looks like a much older version.   

What version is your Go App?  It needs to be the latest version Android Version v3.1.8. or iOS Version v3.1.14.

The remote should be able to connect to the Go App without the Inspire 1 turned on. these are screen shots with nothing connected
Rich
IMG_9054.PNG IMG_9053.PNG IMG_9052.PNG IMG_9051.PNG

2017-8-11
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Camera button has never turned blue but the app version is on Android and it is 3.1.10. I went into the Play Store to try and do an update, but it doesnt show any update available. I might try this proces again tomorrow with a friends iPhone that can download the latest version of the app, because I'm thinking if it's going to work, its gonna work best on iOS.

IMG_0316.PNG
IMG_0317.PNG
IMG_0318.PNG
2017-8-11
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Still gray camera button with the remote turned on. The phone recognizes the connection from the remote, but the App doesnt.

IMG_0320.JPG
2017-8-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-11 17:48
Still gray camera button with the remote turned on. The phone recognizes the connection from the remote, but the App doesnt.

Man that sucks

Can you go into the Go App with the remote turned on? Did you look at the About page and see what shows up?  I am just curious
If it is not connected, then you will see the same as my screen shots above..

It is possible the USB port is bad?>? Maybe Mindy could comment on this too
Rich
2017-8-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-11 17:46
Camera button has never turned blue  but the app version is on Android and it is 3.1.10. I went into the Play Store to try and do an update, but it doesnt show any update available. I might try this proces again tomorrow with a friends iPhone that can download the latest version of the app, because I'm thinking if it's going to work, its gonna work best on iOS.

okay, sorry missed this information ..... So you need to get the latest version of the Go App. Go to the bottom of this page and scan the QR code to get the latest one.

PS: I am not convinced you are connecting through your USB port to the remote. Something seems wrong to me. We have seen the module on the back of the remote go bad $99 will get you a new one module

Link
2017-8-11
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-11 19:35
okay, sorry missed this information ..... So you need to get the latest version of the Go App. Go to the bottom of this page and scan the QR code to get the latest one.

PS: I am not convinced you are connecting through your USB port to the remote. Something seems wrong to me. We have seen the module on the back of the remote go bad $99 will get you a new one module

Ok so today I tried starting it up using my friend iPhone and hse never had the Dji Go app downloaded on it. I got everything connected up and was able to get to the camera screen, but it definitely has a bad connection that is causing little to no camera view (FPV) so I think as you said, it is a bad USB module. I was also able to link the drone and the remote and start up the motors for a while, but after starting and stopping them twice, the connection went bad and I wasn't able to reconnect the droen and the transmitter.

So after all that, I talked to my friend and told him we may have to buy a couple new USB modules and hopefully that will solve the problem. The only thoughts I had on that was that when I am connected to the drone, the main LED on the transmitter is still flashing red and green very fast and at random intervals... so another concern would be if that has anything to do with the USB module or if that is something else that has gone bad within the remote.

Either way, I really do appreciate your patience and taking the time to help me troubleshoot some of this stuff. Just for refference here is a shot of the screen that I was able to get to today.

Camera Screen

Camera Screen
IMG_0328.PNG
2017-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-13 19:20
Ok so today I tried starting it up using my friend iPhone and hse never had the Dji Go app downloaded on it. I got everything connected up and was able to get to the camera screen, but it definitely has a bad connection that is causing little to no camera view (FPV) so I think as you said, it is a bad USB module. I was also able to link the drone and the remote and start up the motors for a while, but after starting and stopping them twice, the connection went bad and I wasn't able to reconnect the droen and the transmitter.

So after all that, I talked to my friend and told him we may have to buy a couple new USB modules and hopefully that will solve the problem. The only thoughts I had on that was that when I am connected to the drone, the main LED on the transmitter is still flashing red and green very fast and at random intervals... so another concern would be if that has anything to do with the USB module or if that is something else that has gone bad within the remote.

That is great you got it connected and this tells me that the module is working and good (at least the first part of your message). Based on your remote FW version 1.6, the reason the flashing red / greed LED's is your remote is not on the correct FW version. Once you update the remote FW it should work properly again.  Latest is 1.7.60 I believe  

Can you connect the remote back to the Go App and update the FW?

Rich
2017-8-13
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-13 20:06
That is great you got it connected and this tells me that the module is working and good (at least the first part of your message). Based on your remote FW version 1.6, the reason the flashing red / greed LED's is your remote is not on the correct FW version. Once you update the remote FW it should work properly again.  Latest is 1.7.60 I believe  

Can you connect the remote back to the Go App and update the FW?

YES! Updated the remote firmware and did an IMU calibration and now everything seems to be working great! Gonna do a compass calibration tomorrow morning then take it for a flight and see how things go.

Again, thank you so much for your help and advice!
2017-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr Smith Posted at 2017-8-13 21:13
YES! Updated the remote firmware and did an IMU calibration and now everything seems to be working great! Gonna do a compass calibration tomorrow morning then take it for a flight and see how things go.

Again, thank you so much for your help and advice!

MS

Great job and I am happy you were able to get everything going again. You are welcome

Take is slowly and definitely calibrate the IMU and compass before you fly to be safe.

Happy flying
Rich
2017-8-13
Use props
Cloud View
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-13 21:37
MS

Great job and I am happy you were able to get everything going again. You are welcome

So there was finally a solution that worked, I continued to try each thing you had been through and still no luck. So, if the FW versions are supposed to be the same, and you are using version 1.10.01.40 on the inspire then shouldn't controller version be 1.10? can't get controller version above 1.7.80 and cannot find version 1.7 for the bird.

Am I not getting it? All I know right now is that everything worked until I put z3 camera on and then updated controller. Do I go backwards and then upgrade again or am I just screwed right now. I have a job in about 4 hours and no working copter.
2018-12-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cloud View Posted at 12-21 02:49
So there was finally a solution that worked, I continued to try each thing you had been through and still no luck. So, if the FW versions are supposed to be the same, and you are using version 1.10.01.40 on the inspire then shouldn't controller version be 1.10? can't get controller version above 1.7.80 and cannot find version 1.7 for the bird.

Am I not getting it? All I know right now is that everything worked until I put z3 camera on and then updated controller. Do I go backwards and then upgrade again or am I just screwed right now. I have a job in about 4 hours and no working copter.

Wow, this is a very old post.
Not sure reading this, what's not working? The camera view or the drone connection?
1) The remote FW is updated using the Go App. sounds like you need to downgrade it to the last version.
2) If you changed from the X3 camera to the Z3 camera, you will need to update the Inspire 1 FW for the Z3 camera. Try putting the X3 camera back on the Inspire 1 and see if you are getting the camera view

Rich
2018-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules