How to make timelapse mode work in 4K.
4323 9 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

Many (myself included) have complained about DJI's odd decision to limit timelapse mode to 720p, well, as it turns out, it actually DOES produce a 4K timelapse, there is just an extra step to get it. Here is how to do it:

First, when you record your timelapse, set it to make the video AND keep the pictures (obviously, set your camera settings how you want them before you even start). This should be labled as J+V in your settings.

Next, just record your video in timelapse mode as normal.

Now you will need to go to DJI's site and go to the product page for the original Osmo (NOT the Osmo+). Click the tab for downloads. You will see a link, available in both Mac and Windows versions, for a seemingly little known program called "DJI Media Maker." Download and install it on your computer.

Now, get your Osmo footage on to your computer, you should see your normal DCIM video and photo files, but you will also see a folder labled timelapse.

Open the timelapse folder, in it you will find sub folders containing all the still pictures for each of the timelapse videos you took. No need to open them, but keep the timelapse folder open in the window.

Now open DJI media maker and click and drag each of the timelapse sub folders, one at a time, into the DJI media maker.

Now hit start (you can change the file name and destination too, but this seems buggy so don't bother).

2017-8-10
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Wait patiently for it to finish compiling your videos, depending on your computer and he length of the timelapses this may take awhile, mine takes around 1 minute to compile each second of video.

When it is done you will see that the timelapse folder now contains video files as well as the sub folders. These are your completed 4K timelapses, now just move them to a different folder and rename em whatever you like.

Enjoy.

If you want you can play with the stills in a photo editer like photoshop or literoom first, but that is up to you, you don't have to.

2017-8-10
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Sorry for breaking it into two posts but the forum software stubbornly refused to let me type the rest into the OP.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for your sharing of the details to obtain high quality Time-lapse, this is how it works, hope other users will learn from this.
2017-8-10
Use props
lvl.4
United States

I have made a video tutorial on this (please forgive the bad audio):

2017-8-19
Use props
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-10 23:10
Thanks for your sharing of the details to obtain high quality Time-lapse, this is how it works, hope other users will learn from this.

Thanks, to teach was my intent.
2017-8-19
Use props
Avz.chel
New
Flight distance : 635344 ft
Russia

Thank you!
2017-9-26
Use props
trialanderror
New
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-8-19 21:25
I have made a video tutorial on this (please forgive the bad audio):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Fe13TpUPI

great tip!  I'd love to hear that again with good audio when you have time.  Thanks!
2017-9-28
Use props
Croniat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16181 ft
France

Hi,
An about Osmo mobile, is there another way to do that 4K timelapse? I didn't find timelapse folder.
I don't understand why taking 4K vidéo with a Good smartphone able to take 4K phot and vidéo, DJI go timelapse remain in 720p...
Best regards
2018-9-2
Use props
lvl.4

Croniat Posted at 2018-9-2 08:15
Hi,
An about Osmo mobile, is there another way to do that 4K timelapse? I didn't find timelapse folder.
I don't understand why taking 4K vidéo with a Good smartphone able to take 4K phot and vidéo, DJI go timelapse remain in 720p...

I have never understood that either.

I believe the process is the same, though you may need to export the files to a computer so you can get the program, unless you have an app on your phone that can do it.
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules