Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic / Camera Yaw Issue
1904 12 2017-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powerflo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25302 ft
Germany

Hi there!

So after struggling with myself i finally bought the Fly more combo package and received it a week ago.
I first tried to get familiar with flying the mavic itself. I didnt paid a lot attention to the screen at first. But after having my second flight I noticed the following issue:

After starting the mavic im climbing to ard 8m and stay there hovering for a while. Then i noticed that the screen slighty yaws. One time its counterclockwise the other time its clockwise.
I tried to figure out if it is the gimbal/camera or the mavic itself. So far its kinda a combination of it. I even noticed the yawing on the ground after i turned on the mavic. The other time i paid attention to the heading of the mavic while hovering. Without giving any signal it changed his heading slighty though continously.
It even affects my heading during the flight. If im just pushing the stick forward it occassionally changes his heading and drifts away.
Considering that, you could easily dash into trees e.g. while assuming flying forward...

Btw: Yes, i did calibrate everything. IMU / Compas / RC.

Now im worried and also dissappointed by this issue. Since I consistently heard postiv things about the mavic especially considering its ability to take long exposure pictures or time lapse videos. But having this issue its impossible to take a picture with more than 1s of exposure. And you have to re-adjust your heading continously. Thats frustating!

I already found a similar thread with the same stated issue: http://forum.dji.com/thread-74901-1-1.html

I made a two video's to show what im talking about:

During the flight i had connection to 20 satelites.

Also a few pictures of the route on the map:

You can see that the heading is changed in the end although I just pressed the forward stick.

I know there a few people out there having the same issues. Any of that solved yet?
Help from DJI?
Screenshot_20170810-235341.png
Screenshot_20170810-235349.png
2017-8-10
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I tend to think it is the gimbal, not the drone. I assume you have done a gimbal calibration.
Try turning off the Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow and see if that helps.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, did you run the latest firmware for the Mavic? Please check and upgrade it. Besides, did the drone's orientation also change when you checked the flight records?
If it does, both the gimbal and the drone drifted. It might possibly be the interference of the compass, try to fly it in another place, make sure that you have calibrated IMU and compass and please fly a bit higher. If the problem still persists, please export the flight data of the drone and upload it to Dropbox, we will help to check. Thanks.

2017-8-11
Use props
powerflo
lvl.1
Germany

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-8-10 22:12
I tend to think it is the gimbal, not the drone. I assume you have done a gimbal calibration.
Try turning off the Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow and see if that helps.

Yes i did. I dont really see any difference between having it turned on or off (Synchronous Follow).  I assume whether its turned on it the gimbal should behave similar to the my video i uploaded once you change the heading. But even turned off there is no change.
2017-8-11
Use props
powerflo
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-11 02:08
Just to verify, did you run the latest firmware for the Mavic? Please check and upgrade it. Besides, did the drone's orientation also change when you checked the flight records?
If it does, both the gimbal and the drone drifted. It might possibly be the interference of the compass, try to fly it in another place, make sure that you have calibrated IMU and compass and please fly a bit higher. If the problem still persists, please export the flight data of the drone and upload it to Dropbox, we will help to check. Thanks.

Hi Thor,

yes i updated the latest firmware. Im trying it one more time in another location and keep focus on your advises. Since its rainy for the next 24 hrs im trying it the days after. Last time I also tried course lock and he changed his heading. I will focus on that also since the APP shows the angle in this mode.

I just want to make sure that I didnt got a lemon mavic. Cause there shouldnt be an issue like this on a 1000 EUR ++ Drone.
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

powerflo Posted at 2017-8-11 12:06
Hi Thor,

yes i updated the latest firmware. Im trying it one more time in another location and keep focus on your advises. Since its rainy for the next 24 hrs im trying it the days after. Last time I also tried course lock and he changed his heading. I will focus on that also since the APP shows the angle in this mode.

Thanks, please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-8-13
Use props
powerflo
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-13 02:56

So I finally catched good weather and made another tests in a new location.

First of all the heading itself was way better. I could almost fly a rectangle when I take a look at the flight route history. But the screen was still moving in around 50% of all changes made to the mavics heading. So it should be a gimbal issue. While watching at the course lock heading, it didnt changed its angle while the screen was moving counterclockwise.

I made a few video's therefor:

First the screen is stable. After I changed the heading it began to yaw.

Same Issue in the second video. You can clearly see how I need to re-adjust its heading to keep the center on the same spot:

And it got worse in this example:

First I thought its caused by the pan synchronous follow option. But even when I turned it off nothing changed. Guess there is something wrong with the gimbal?
2017-8-14
Use props
powerflo
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-13 02:56

Any suggestions?
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Thanks for your feedback, I had forwarded this case to our engineers, will reply you once I heard from them. Appreciate your patience.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hey, I need to confirm again, since we had updated the Mavic's firmware to v01.03.1000 on 22/08, one of the updates for this version is that it fixed an occasional issue where the gimbal would drift after self-checking. Please check if you are in this version and test again. Thank you very much for your assistance.
2017-8-24
Use props
powerflo
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-24 18:29
Hey, I need to confirm again, since we had updated the Mavic's firmware to v01.03.1000 on 22/08, one of the updates for this version is that it fixed an occasional issue where the gimbal would drift after self-checking. Please check if you are in this version and test again. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Hey Thor,

sorry for the late reply. Ive been on a short vacation and i couldnt really recreate the situation as bad as in my previous videos. Occasionally the gimbal is yawing. I updated its firmware to v01.03.1000.  It feels like it wants to adjust the same heading as the body of the mavic. But its such slow, that it takes a couple seconds till the screen is stable. I also still noticed some drift while flying straight forward / backward. The horizont is moving left or right while pushing straight forward / backwards. I couldnt figure out whats the problem here. Because sometimes the mavic is able to fly straight lines and then hes turning little curves. As far as I know I always had very good GPS connection..

Im trying to get a few more shots on the weekend again.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

powerflo Posted at 2017-9-11 13:34
Hey Thor,

sorry for the late reply. Ive been on a short vacation and i couldnt really recreate the situation as bad as in my previous videos. Occasionally the gimbal is yawing. I updated its firmware to v01.03.1000.  It feels like it wants to adjust the same heading as the body of the mavic. But its such slow, that it takes a couple seconds till the screen is stable. I also still noticed some drift while flying straight forward / backward. The horizont is moving left or right while pushing straight forward / backwards. I couldnt figure out whats the problem here. Because sometimes the mavic is able to fly straight lines and then hes turning little curves. As far as I know I always had very good GPS connection..

Thank you for getting back, that's alright. And It would be better if you can have a video to illustrate the issue. And I also recommend calibrating the IMU and RC first. Looking forward to your feedback.
2017-9-12
Use props
David Bartenfield
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

I am having this exact same issue.  Latest firmwares, everything calibrated, gimbal drifts dramatically.  The Mavic cannot be flown safely via the camera view.  The map/compass view is rock steady.
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules