I get this dang GPS error, Atti mode almost every flight now.
3207 15 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lfkiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111942 ft
United States

I can't figure it out, I don't think it's a battery issue.  I flew a battery today, took off at the beach.  I get to an altitude of about 30 feet, and ac goes into Atti mode.  Always the IMU, GPS, NoFly Zone RTH, then Atti mode bull...and actually it's happened so much that I'm able to steer her back.  I notice it only happens for about 5-10 seconds, and then always recovers GPS.  Today, I had it happen, flew it back and landed.  I set the home point again, took back off, and flew the rest of the battery with no errors at all.  I always have plenty of satellites upon takeoff (17 today), GPS and IMU are normal, map setting looks great, compass working.  I hope DJI figures out this error, and applies a fix via firmware.  I'm using the 2 stock batteries that came with my white fly more.  and I received my spark around 6/23.

2017-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you upload logs to link below and post link here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please refer the tutorial video and export the flight log and send it to us for analysis:
2017-8-11
Use props
Vasco Hill
New
Flight distance : 218501 ft
United States

Ok - I am experiance the same situation.  

After a compass error and automaticly switching from GPS to ATTI mode and drifting off (fly away).  I have to quickly start flying it back towards me.  Once it starts it will go in and out of GPS and ATTI modes. I then struggle to get it landed.

I experianced it today while in landing mode.  It reported a compass error, switched to ATTI mode and started its fly away, after recovering it, it did it again as soon as it got back in landing mode.

I have the latest firmware on my Spark, Remote Controller, Battires and iPhone.  I fly with a OTG Cable.  I live in a area with lots of trees so I tend to fly between 200 - 800 feet.

2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Vasco Hill Posted at 2017-8-12 10:09
Ok - I am experiance the same situation.  

After a compass error and automaticly switching from GPS to ATTI mode and drifting off (fly away).  I have to quickly start flying it back towards me.  Once it starts it will go in and out of GPS and ATTI modes. I then struggle to get it landed.

Did you calibrate the compass before take off? For me, I prefer to calibrate the compass every time before I fly it.
2017-8-13
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

One moderator saying it's a bad idea to always calibrate, another one says calibrate before every flight.
Of course, calibration is not the issue if done correctly and in the right places but I can bet a few percents will be done in the wrong spots. And this is how you get fly-aways ...
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-13 00:32
Did you calibrate the compass before take off? For me, I prefer to calibrate the compass every time before I fly it.

While you say this and many will take your advice, this is an unnecessary risk if you have a good compass no matter how many times you calibrate your compass you are not going to make it any better.
The most likely outcome of this continuous procedure is you will eventually end up getting a bad compass,
It very clear and set out in the manual Not to calibrate unless prompted and if you receive magnetic interference prior to flight then you are advised to move your AC and start procedure again.

I feel you should clear up this matter of confusion for those who might be confused about what you are saying.
2017-8-13
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

I think DJI received a batch of bad compass components from their supplier. There have been several threads concerning this issue. I would try and have it replaced if you're getting this error in multiple locations.
2017-8-13
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-11 13:22
Can you upload logs to link below and post link here.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Here are some links to multiple logs with Atti mode

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/QSRTNLZEL3LILBK5708X/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/O9KRK2SDJKEHJRD44H1V/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/P2DPLVLBKE6FKL515AUT/

2017-8-13
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-11 22:35
Please refer the tutorial video and export the flight log and send it to us for analysis: https://youtu.be/ngEHdAlAh9A

Hi DJI Susan,

I just sent an email to DJI with all of my flight records, black box and flight data files.

Hopefully it helps out.

Thanks
2017-8-13
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I think its not a problem of spark itself, but a magnetic field. It may change a bit. So if you calibrated compass few days ago and you are sure its correct, and in the same place you are getting a compass error, then something is wrong with that place.

And IF you recalibrate compass, then you will get wrong calibrated compass and after take off and fly few meters you will get compass error and fly away, and it may never recover gps.
It will recover GPS only in a case when it will be in magnetic interferences-free location, so if you calibrated it in interfered location, then any other location will be considered as not good by the spark computer.

I had today a compass error before start, and i calibrated it few days ago, and flied every day. I turned off the spark, and moved to a different place, a 10 meters i think, and then compass was fine.
I was unable to start a spark from that specific place, but i was able yesterday.

Its normal - there may be a magnetic interferences, magnetic storms and our magnetosphere may not always remove it from space, and in that case our drones can may simply switch to atti.
That may happen, thats why by the rules in most countries they should be used in VLOS and uav operator should be prepared to fly in no stabilisation mode.

I saw parameters in flight controller about compass sensivity and a threshold when compass readings are considered as wrong and when atti mode will appear. Maybe that values need to be adjusted a bit, maybe they are too sensitive.
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi ifkiter, just looking at those logs, the first one looks like you took off close to some boardwalk or steps, if there was metal in construction of this it could have an effect on your compass other locations it's difficult to see, but it looks like you definitely have a problem with your compass which leads directly to problems with Imu heading and mag yaw errors.

You need to go to another location clear of all the usual objects i.e. Rebar concrete metal objects cars jewellery etc and try calibration, then just do a short test flight. If you still have problems you may need to send for repair.
It is 100% compass problem and you need to sort it. BTW you did a great job keeping your spark under control when in Atti mode.
2017-8-13
Use props
RoK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1245154 ft
Norway

Trouble DJI Spark, I bought it with the idea of ​​having a drone for travel and avoid having to carry my P4P. The experience with the Spark has been terrifying in at least 5 occasions in different locations on my trip to Norway (mostly wilderness). I have been about to lose it since either the app disconnects or unexpected IMU and compass failures by entering ATT mode with no GPS data. As in other opportunities video signal disconnection ... the best of the worlds to have a fly away if you do not have previous experience with drones. Compass calibration on every single flight and IMU calibration required by the app in two occasions don't solve the problem...fly with caution this Baby or you will lost it soon if you don't have your toolbox of tricks....On the photo, the space between my Spark and my remote was ATTi mode  (19 satellites?) and returning Home relaying on video feed for orientation and a very unstable flight back on a 10 kts wind.
IMG_9006.PNG
2017-8-13
Use props
RoK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1245154 ft
Norway

Where I can send info about this failure and which files are needed to sent? There is a full description of the procedure?
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RoK Posted at 2017-8-13 15:09
Trouble DJI Spark, I bought it with the idea of ​​having a drone for travel and avoid having to carry my P4P. The experience with the Spark has been terrifying in at least 5 occasions in different locations on my trip to Norway (mostly wilderness). I have been about to lose it since either the app disconnects or unexpected IMU and compass failures by entering ATT mode with no GPS data. As in other opportunities video signal disconnection ... the best of the worlds to have a fly away if you do not have previous experience with drones. Compass calibration on every single flight and IMU calibration required by the app in two occasions don't solve the problem...fly with caution this Baby or you will lost it soon if you don't have your toolbox of tricks....On the photo, the space between my Spark and my remote was ATTi mode  (19 satellites?) and returning Home relaying on video feed for orientation and a very unstable flight back on a 10 kts wind.

According to your screenshot, it seems that the GPS signal quality is not very good, I would recommend you to send an email to our Support Team via support.eu@dji.com for further assistance.
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-13 02:20
One moderator saying it's a bad idea to always calibrate, another one says calibrate before every flight.
Of course, calibration is not the issue if done correctly and in the right places but I can bet a few percents will be done in the wrong spots. And this is how you get fly-aways ...

i agree to an extent but i have never calibrated it and this happened to my drone once on a large beach with absolutely no interference so your theory is probably true for some but not all!
2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules