Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dronie not working - The Falling - and the theory
1854 17 2017-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi guys,
I am quite sure nobody even cares who I am, but to make the thread sounds a bit trust-worthy:
-I played Spark since the very first days of release (15th June), back then, there were issue with quickshots where Helix lost target and run wide, or rocket lost target and drifted. Who used Android during that time must have noticed that DJI Go 4 did not really fit the phone screen. I proposed the theory that: because the live feed from Spark is 1080p, and the phone screen resolution is more than that (some phone even have 4K resolution). Therefore, when choosing the target on the screen and send back to Spark, it was messup, and target not accurately followed. Temporary solution I proposed at that time was downscale the phone resolution to 1k. I did experiment on myself, and I fixed the issue. I did made video with Helix and Rocket to prove the fix. 1 or 2 weeks after that, DJI updated the DJI Go 4, and fixed that as well, the app resolution now fit perfectly on your phone screen. Quickshots work with most people. And new users would not know that old issue.

-Next, the falling, I was the first one brought up the dicussion about the battery batch and compare with Gopro Karma incident, However, the myth is still going on until now. We don't know if it is the real issue, but in the latest update, DJI did request you to run the firmware with each battery and they did even make a new video showing you how to plug in the battery and check for tighteness:

-And today, I would like to bring up another theory. I know haters are gonna hate, some elite pilots will deny. People with no issue so far will deny.(They actually did that with some of my other threads, but who cares, they cannot discourage me). However, my purpose of those threads is not to get credit from anyone, I announce my thinking for the goods of community. Because, put myself in your shoes, I believe many of you also came from a poor country like me and Spark cost you a fortune, you don't want your money go down the drain for some unknown reason.
Mark my word as follow, if DJI Mods read this thread, they will surely comment that their product has been carefully test many hours...etc, and I don't blame them, they are not engineers or manufacturer, it is their responsibility to say so to calm the public, they might not have technical background to see thing the way I see, and most important, they cannot admit something that might harm the com

The theory for today is:
-Recently, some falling Spark has been fixed and sent back to customer, user SparkDad3 confirmed on facebook DJI replaced the Drone body with new SN, however, the battery still the same one. That would likely to tell us seems like the falling because of some bad-manufactured Spark, not the battery as I doubted earlier. In the mass manufacture of electronic devices, sometimes it is understandable for some bad-quality one. And I did mention about Dronie, recently, one of the user complain the dronie still not working after the firmware update:
(1) First of all, the question is, why just only few users cannot have dronie work? Mine is working, my friends' are working, and many other users on the forum confirmed working. If it is firmware related, all Spark must face the same issue.
(2) Secondly, as I am being an embedded programmer that did program for some quadcopters, and because DJI has been successfully launched many drone like Phantoms, Inspire, I can assure that it is not hard for them to fix by software (If the problem is really software). Then, why not yet fixed until now.
(3) Thirdly, I asked the user with the video above to try with other phones just to make sure it is not the problem with the phones, he confirmed in his post to me that he tried 2 other platforms but none work.
----> So (1) + (2) + (3), tell me that seems like it is not software (firmware) related matter, but your hardware of Spark is not in good condition. And there may be no firmware update can fix that (I am saying maybe. If they can fix that by future firmware, I am happy for you guys, really, and I am happy to be a wrong person in that case)

So, this is a calling to guys with falling cases, can you please confirm that: before the fall, did your Dronie work? By "work", I meant go backwards and lift up?
If not, the theory is: can we use dronie as an indicator for bad quality products? Which meant if your Dronie does not work, most likely you have issue with Spark hardware, and most likely your Spark can fall (drop) in the future?

To conclude guys, this is just my personal idea. If it is true, maybe DJI should recall all the Sparks that cannot do Dronie...
If it is not true, just consider this as a time-killing thread to read during your weekend

Peace.   

2017-8-11
Use props
kabekid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128002 ft
United States

i never used dronie on mine. sorry, so i couldn't tell you.

i did however update the firmware on my batteries and had no problems until my 35th flight. mine was just hovering about 2 minutes into the flight, and fell to it's death.

the best part is dji just sent me a bill to repair or told me to use my care refresh to replace it.

i doubt they'll ever fess up to the issue, or resolve it. i would think it has to be more then a bad batch, i had almost 4 miles on my drone total flight time before it fell.
2017-8-11
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

interesting theory and interesting read!   i have had 1 very bad spark hardware wise, and right now i have 1 very good spark, hardware wise.. so from my experience i will agree with you, it is hardware based issue more likely than software.  my newer spark out of the box, flew it right away after battery charge before updating it and found it was massive difference in how it behaved and handled situations..

however i am not sure if gesture modes will be a good indicator or not?  my current spark is fairly flawless, other then tiny glitches and gesture mode is a complete mess:

my gesture modes are half broken...i cannot launch them 80% of the time.. "faceaware" works for palm launching.

active track for following a subject is god awefull, legit horrible if i took it out on a fishing trip i know it would lost my spark because it can fail to locate a red ATV in a green field, and its easily fooled by slightly change in directions.

tap to fly, no relation to where i tap that it flies other than general direction, it will keep going until it hits a tree or a hill 300 feet beyond the target i tapped, dumb as a bag of bricks

i haven't tested dronie, dronie feature wont even launch, seriously it takes off then then just says i cannot be bothered.

the jedi hand trick with moving my spark around, works surprisingly well unless i move too fast.

jedi wave to move it and shoo away, 50/50 shot it will work, and p!sses me off to much and i give up usually..

palm landing works but occasionally it refuses.. not sure why?

my RTH is about as intelligent as putting a trapdoor on a canoe.. meaning its blind idiocy!  both sparks i owned, old retarded one and my new much better one, i really wouldn't trust RTH on either, tested it once on my new one and it tripped over itself on a small slow incline qt my farm, intentionally set the RTH alt as as 20M, and it failed on least steep incline ta my farm, pretty much raised up 65 feet.. flew over the first field then dragged its belly on ground until it tripped up and landed sidewalks.. like i thought VPS would have prevented that but, i guess not.. not sure why..
2017-8-11
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Dronie is part of go4, it relies on the software to track and control the drone. It has nothing to do with hardware failures in my opinion.
2017-8-11
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-11 19:45
Dronie is part of go4, it relies on the software to track and control the drone. It has nothing to do with hardware failures in my opinion.

most gestures that track dont even need the app.. why would dronie?  it could explain it, but i thought the spark used simple tracking technique of following subject (contrast based)

if it is app based, that could explain why sparks run a muck, since i mean face it, the app isnt well polished and could be issue with latency. but on my ipad mini 2 it doesn't lag with any inputs i give it physically via RC + OTG (wifi off on the ipad), so then again i dont know
2017-8-11
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-11 19:49
most gestures that track dont even need the app.. why would dronie?  it could explain it, but i thought the spark used simple tracking technique of following subject (contrast based)

if it is app based, that could explain why sparks run a muck, since i mean face it, the app isnt well polished and could be issue with latency. but on my ipad mini 2 it doesn't lag with any inputs i give it physically via RC + OTG (wifi off on the ipad), so then again i dont know

Guys, maybe you miss point (1) and (3) in my thread, if it is app related issue, why many users can use Dronie (including me), and some cannot (Considering we are using the same app). Please note I can use dronie in both types of connection:

1. AC and phone directly

2. AC through RC to phone
2017-8-11
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-11 19:49

There are only a few limited gestures that run on the drone itself. Tapfly, active track, panos, and the 4 quickshots all use the app to control the drone.
2017-8-11
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-11 20:07
There are only a few limited gestures that run on the drone itself. Tapfly, active track, panos, and the 4 quickshots all use the app to control the drone.

Guys, maybe you miss point (1) and (3) in my thread, if it is app related issue, why many users can use Dronie (including me), and some cannot (Considering we are using the same app). Please note I can use dronie in both types of connection:

1. AC and phone directly

2. AC through RC to phone
2017-8-11
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-11 20:05

1. AC and phone directly

Please post a video of your dronie working. It goes up at a 45 degree angle and stops at the set distance? Please share.
2017-8-11
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-11 20:10
Please post a video of your dronie working. It goes up at a 45 degree angle and stops at the set distance? Please share.

Hi,
Sorry to correct you, and I don't know where you get the inforrmation for goes up at 45 degree. However, DJI never said it is 45 degree, and I never see any document say 45 degree, they only say "backward and upward. With the camera locked on your subject"
This is Dronie (before the update, it has always rised up for me even before the new update). I have a new clip after the update but left at home and I am at work now, will up later today):

And this is Helix, it hit the tree during the run, but you can see how it kept steady distance from me:
2017-8-11
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-11 20:10

Hi, this is the Dronie with the latest firmware. I chose 10m. Sorry, the video and log a bit off. Distance from 4m to 14m, and height from 3m to 5m.On the flight log, there is a green notification when it reach 14m say: "Quickshots ended", then you can see it return to original distance 4m, original height 3m.
So yeah, it works perfectly for me.

2017-8-11
Use props
hobez
Flight distance : 38543 ft
Portugal

My dronie worked before the app update and firmware update. How it just flies straight without stopping at the set distance.
2017-8-12
Use props
lafoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Dronie doesn't work for me too... i'm using a Asus zenpad s8 connected via OTG. Latest firmware and APP. It goes back but don't climb...
2017-8-12
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

My spark turn off the motors during flight because I pressed the pause button during forward sport mode. It crashed. And yes I have the problem of droni ( not gain altitude) and helix (only does 180 degrees)
2017-8-12
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

My Spark suddenly fell from 100m, same old as described in other threads. The dronie does not raise for me as well.
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

My spark works exactly the same as the guy in the video, dronie can't control distance and aircraft raises no more than 3/6 feet, helix the same if you want to orbit the earth then use my helix, hehe,

I don't believe either of these have anything specific to do with drone falling from the sky they are a software issue, loose battery bad connection well yes that could happen , if someone did not check battery was in correct then they are not going to admit this, but if this was the case then I would expect dji to come out more forcefully to get people to double check battery.

It always takes time for firmware in these drones to bed down, we also might see some more software updates to correct these smaller issues and a smaller firmware update .

Remember spark is only 2 months old, in Mavics 10 month history they have received 10 firmware updates plus numerous software updates, for me this is just a bedding in process I don't believe it is anything like Karma, but I do remember when Mavic was released and karma was recalled there were many on these forums baying for Mavic to be recalled and many looking file lawsuits.

For those who have lost their aircraft it's really tough, but it's the many who have no problems who decide to create some hysteria be telling us they're afraid to fly they have grounded there drones etc, so the problem gains momentum and it's made look much bigger than it really is.

For me everyone should go out and fly but fly safe.
2017-8-13
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-13 03:01
My spark works exactly the same as the guy in the video, dronie can't control distance and aircraft raises no more than 3/6 feet, helix the same if you want to orbit the earth then use my helix, hehe,

I don't believe either of these have anything specific to do with drone falling from the sky they are a software issue, loose battery bad connection well yes that could happen , if someone did not check battery was in correct then they are not going to admit this, but if this was the case then I would expect dji to come out more forcefully to get people to double check battery.

Hi Mr.Hallmark,
I always like your thread and useful advice and I mostly agreed with you in all the idea.But when it is down to technical analysis,i kind of disagree with you.
I understand you have to be optimistic,but,you say the falling and dronie is software matter.idon't think so.All spark use the same hardware,same firmware and same software.if it is matter with software,all Sparks must face the same issue,which means Dronie should not work with all Sparks and All should fall by now.But the fact is just a few had matter telling that it is not software matter.
Believe me,I don't want to be you enemy,but trying to point out the fact here.
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-13 03:14
Hi Mr.Hallmark,
I always like your thread and useful advice and I mostly agreed with you in all the idea.But when it is down to technical analysis,i kind of disagree with you.
I understand you have to be optimistic,but,you say the falling and dronie is software matter.idon't think so.All spark use the same hardware,same firmware and same software.if it is matter with software,all Sparks must face the same issue,which means Dronie should not work with all Sparks and All should fall by now.But the fact is just a few had matter telling that it is not software matter.

I think if you believe this then you would see the same problems for everyone around here and this is just not the case, if you take a look at this video you will see there are many different variables that can effect firmware and software, the device we use and it's set up also plays an important part. I think if your theory was right then how do you explain post number 12, has he now developed some sort of hardware bug because his dronie worked before FW update but now it doesn't, you can't have your cake ,and eat it as the saying goes.

2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules