814 8 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi guys,
So, I was curious the whole time, is it really true that Spark is a failure compare to Mavic in terms of technical issues? (I am not discussing the spec here because they have different hardware)

People keep saying Spark is a failure because it falls, it lost GPS then flyaway and it has battery mal-function,... If you spend some time on Mavic forum, Phantom forumd or especially, on facebook groups, you will find that Mavic, or even the newly Phantom 4 has the same issues. Don't believe me?:
1. Batter issue for Mavic: https://forum.dji.com/thread-108460-1-1.html
2. Mavic lost GPS, compass error and change to atti for no reason: https://forum.dji.com/thread-73707-1-1.html
3. And even falling from the sky, you have it on Mavic as well: https://forum.dji.com/thread-89401-1-1.html

Personally, I do think it might be the manufacturing we are dealing with, where there is unintentionally some bad quality products sold out. So, why Mavic issues or phantom issues did not make a big fuzz on the network community like Spark?
Let me give an example: Spark you have 10 bad products over 100 sold, compare to Mavic 1 bad product over 10 sold. The ratio is the same 1/10. But you have 10 customers with Spark complain comparing to only 1 Mavic user makes the complain. And because DJI is targetting the non-professional users for Spark, with the cheap price (comparing to other DJI drone), more Spark were sold than other type for sure. Therefore, even the bad product ratio is the same with Mavic and Phantom, you will hear more complain from Spark (Not to add in some pilot errors as well).

I do appreciate all the hard work our DJI Mods doing in the forum. And I also understand they can only say sorry and offer according to company sales policy.
But I do think DJI engineers should develop some kind of tool to determine when the power lost suddenly, what is the real issue rather than saying"since we cannot determine, we offer you 30% off for the new one".

So, in a nutshell, is Spark a great product? I have to write in capital here ... YES, DEFINITELY SPARK IS A GREAT PRODUCT. It is light weight, but powerful, I can do lots of stuff with it like timelapse, Night exposure, Gesture mode,...much much more that I maybe not yet even think of.
But I do seriously think DJI needs to re-write their sales policy...

So, if your Spark has issue, grounding it and wait for a miracle firmware might not help, why? Because there are many many users out there flying with no issue. if it is really the firmware, again, all Spark must have fallen by now, not only a few one. So waiting for a miracle firmware is not realistic. Also, if it is really firmware, do you think DJI will keep silent and let all the Spark fall with no immediate update?
If the hardware is bad and it falls, then I am really sorry, just like me, Spark cost a fortune so I can understand the worry. But if it falls, it will fall. Me and nearly 10 other friends still have no problem until now. And one of my friends often flies to the max range.
So, bring the Spark out, enjoy your weekend and enjoy the wonderful product.

Peace
2017-8-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Personally having been through a lot of these releases, spark isn't any worse than others, they all have teething problems usually rectified by firmware/software updates.
While there appears to be a problem of some spark just dropping out of the sky I believe it's a very small number but on a forum like this it's highlighted to a point where some envisage that all sparks are falling.

When Mavic was released it had many teething problems and Mavics crashing camera problems etc but again the vast majority flying with no problems.
Because of the extremely high technology involved in these AC and the sheer amount of extras coming with all dji new AC the growth in people using them some with experience and others very new to this hobby the small niggly problems get exaggerated some times.
My spark has been flying perfectly since day one I don't worry about the small problems because I know they will be sorted soon . My main interest is that the Aircraft flys as it should and camera works as it should. I don't need all the bells and whistles most of these can be done manually so I don't have problems others have.
2017-8-12
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I concur with Hallmark...my Spark has been fine since day 1 (except for video lag) and packs very nicely on my motorcycle.  I also have a Mavic which is more robust.  My only real complaint with the Spark was/is the pricing.
2017-8-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-8-12 05:15
I concur with Hallmark...my Spark has been fine since day 1 (except for video lag) and packs very nicely on my motorcycle.  I also have a Mavic which is more robust.  My only real complaint with the Spark was/is the pricing.

It does make Mavic look like really good value, $500 was enough to pay for Combo and it should have included 3 batteries.
2017-8-12
Use props
Retroglide08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13015 ft
United Kingdom

Nice to see a thread that dampened the fears I’ve been having as a new Spark. As with most things it’s the negatives that get posted that stand out more than the positives. Which is completely justified as the poor owners have had issues. I’ve been lucky so far and have enjoyed the Spark once my nerves went. It’s all about learning about the thing too. Had compass issues while in the open country this week only to realise I was stood on a circular reinforced concrete base that used to be a building for it was cleared and demolished. Hopefully that was the cause of the interference. So I guess that’s user error right there
2017-8-12
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Retroglide08 Posted at 2017-8-12 05:36
Nice to see a thread that dampened the fears I’ve been having as a new Spark. As with most things it’s the negatives that get posted that stand out more than the positives. Which is completely justified as the poor owners have had issues. I’ve been lucky so far and have enjoyed the Spark once my nerves went. It’s all about learning about the thing too. Had compass issues while in the open country this week only to realise I was stood on a circular reinforced concrete base that used to be a building for it was cleared and demolished. Hopefully that was the cause of the interference. So I guess that’s user error right there

Great to hear it helps. You are right about the compass. I once received the compass calibrate request, however, knowing that area is opened to interference, I chose to move to another spot rather than calibrate at the place. And the warning gone away.
Happy flying during your weekend. you should timelapse (interval shooting), pretty cool. I just tried last night:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-108656-1-1.html
2017-8-12
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

You can also use one of the many magnetometer applications for your phone in order to check the area and find if it's the drone that really needs calibration or you have a lot of electromagnetic interference.
2017-8-12
Use props
SafariMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-12 07:04
You can also use one of the many magnetometer applications for your phone in order to check the area and find if it's the drone that really needs calibration or you have a lot of electromagnetic interference.

No worry here as well and enjoying my spark on holiday very much!
My Mavic is flying at home in beautiful Switzerland but I take my Spark when I'm travelling further.
I don't need to reach miles or fly at insane altitude and even if the Mavic is very portable I prefer to take the spark in my luggage. Looks also more as a toy and does not attract so much attention as bigger drones. So thumbs up to DJI for that nice hardware.
2017-8-12
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

When people ask me about it, I tell them it's almost a toy. The red color also helps
2017-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules