Ipad Mini 4??
2229 25 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KyleM
lvl.1
United States

New here, actually just received my Mavic Pro 2 days ago.  I feel like I am off to a great start and I am absolutely in love with this thing (my first drone)!  Hoping someone could maybe help me out with an Ipad Mini4 question.  Currently I am flying my mavic with my iphone 7+, it works but id like a bigger screen.  I have already ordered the tablet holder that goes into the mavic remote.  I am having a hard time deciding what tablet to buy.  I am a Mac guy so I would much rather stick with that.  Can I just go to the store and buy a Ipad mini or do I need to get one through my cell phone provider with cell service?  I am willing to get what ever I need that will work best for the mavic.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks y'all!
2017-8-12
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

iPad 4 mini and you don't need a tablet holder.
2017-8-12
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

Agreed, mini will work fine.  I use the Air2 with special holder.
2017-8-12
Use props
KyleM
lvl.1
United States

So you don't need cellular service in order to fly?  I thought that's what gave you your GPS.
2017-8-12
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

iPad Mini 4 fits perfect in the RC, no need for a tablet holder. One advice: remove and do not use the micro-usb/lightning cable provided by DJI but use on to connect your iPad via the bottom USB-connector.
2017-8-12
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64944 ft
United Kingdom

Don't quote me on this but without cellular on the device there will be some restrictions. You won't have maps. Fix for this is to cache maps or hotspot to your phone. 'Follow me' won't work, not sure if 'hotspotting' fixes this also. I'm sure there was a 3rd restriction I read about but I can't think of it at the moment.
2017-8-12
Use props
Steve1503
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89104 ft
United States

Also, you can not Facebook live either.
2017-8-12
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I actually grabbed a slightly used iPad mini 4 cellular model on Ebay.  There is no sim card in the unit, but it still has the GPS chip.  You can tether to your phone if you wish.
2017-8-12
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
United States

KyleM Posted at 2017-8-12 13:08
So you don't need cellular service in order to fly?  I thought that's what gave you your GPS.

Mine does not have cellular.  Wifi iPad Air2 only.  I do not tether it and it does work in follow me mode.  Maps are cached.  And GPS does work.

Mavic Goggles does not have cellular and it works fine also (without a phone or tablet) otherwise why would they sell it?
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mobile device with 6.5-8.5mm for the thickness,160mm for the length can fit Mavic Pro's RC.
2017-8-12
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPad Mini 4 actually fits better than an iPad Mini 2 even though its a couple of mm wider/longer. The thickness of the mini 4 is slimmer and glides into place. No additional pieces of plastic required!
2017-8-13
Use props
KyleM
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm going to go with the cellular model.
2017-8-13
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

dspecgsx Posted at 2017-8-12 18:54
Mine does not have cellular.  Wifi iPad Air2 only.  I do not tether it and it does work in follow me mode.  Maps are cached.  And GPS does work.

Mavic Goggles does not have cellular and it works fine also (without a phone or tablet) otherwise why would they sell it?

I'm curious how the 'Follow Me' mode is working on yours if your device is not cellular?!?! Where is it getting GPS from I wonder.
2017-8-13
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
United States

calmari Posted at 2017-8-13 03:42
I'm curious how the 'Follow Me' mode is working on yours if your device is not cellular?!?! Where is it getting GPS from I wonder.

You are correct.  I meant active track works.  Follow me does not work.  Sorry about the confusion.
2017-8-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A word of caution - iPad mini 4 is great (i fly with it), but I tried 2 beta's of IOS 11 and both times I had a choppy video feed from Mavic and whenever tried screen recorder - "mobile device cpu fully loaded...".
I know beta is beta, but what bugs me if CPU (A8) is not powerful enough for next IOS/next DJI GO 4 and next update we might see "this app is not supported on this device";) as on many other apple devices
2017-8-13
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249364 ft
  • >>>
United States

dspecgsx Posted at 2017-8-12 18:54

The GPS your experiencing is in the aircraft..You don't NEED a GPS mini to fly but its highly recommended..
2017-8-13
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

KyleM Posted at 2017-8-13 02:39
Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm going to go with the cellular model.

Good move..Having the GPS is much better than not.
2017-8-13
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't work..I caught that too
2017-8-13
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

dspecgsx Posted at 2017-8-13 06:29
You are correct.  I meant active track works.  Follow me does not work.  Sorry about the confusion.

Appreciate the update.
2017-8-13
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

KyleM Posted at 2017-8-12 13:08

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S8 in my RC. I always switch the S8 to Flight Mode (Airplane Mode for the Apple crowd).
GPS is on the RC, not the mobile.
All Intelligent Flight Modes work including Follow Me. The Mavic is following the RC, not the mobile.

You do not need a cellular service on your mobile device ... BUT(!) ... you would need to 1) log into your DJI account in DJI GO 4 and you will also have to 2) download your maps via your WiFi network at home before you can fly your Mavic with your mobile device connected to the RC.
2017-8-13
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine isn’t a cellular one either. Follow me works fine. ActiveTrack
2017-8-13
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

You don't need a tablet holder, however I recommend one because the arms of the controller need to be really bent otherwise. Something like this is very good. http://amzn.to/2wVqoQz
2017-8-13
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-8-13 12:58
Mine isn’t a cellular one either. Follow me works fine. ActiveTrack

What do you mean 'Follow me works fine. Active track' it looks like you hit post before you finished typing? 'Follow me" and 'Active track' are two different things.
2017-8-13
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Both follow me and active track work fine with a standard iPad Mini.
2017-8-13
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-8-13 13:56
Both follow me and active track work fine with a standard iPad Mini.

Strange, it's not supposed to.
2017-8-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

'Follow Me' tethers the GPS in the cellular device. 'Active Track' (totally different intelligent flight mode) traces and follows the subject using the main sensor in the camera. Therefore follow me will not work without a GPS module in the device and active track will work depending on sufficient lighting conditions and a clear line between the main camera and the subject at all times or the track will be lost. In addition, you will not be able to use the dynamic home point feature in the app to reset your home point to either the drones current position or your new position mid flight if your device does not have GPS too. It is my understanding that GPS is only inclusive with cellular devices so if using a WiFi only device you can not use follow me, cache maps in real time whilst flying, upload live feed to social media or use the dynamic home point. Everything else works fine. GPS in the drone is not to be confused with GPS in your device. Whilst not essential it is advisable to use a cellular device in order to be able to fully utilise all of the features of the drone.
2017-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules