Disposal of mavic batteries
5530 31 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

What is the proper way to dispose of mavic batteries.

I have read about putting it in salt water to discharge and dropping off at battery recycle centre (we do not have any of that around here) and about dicharging fully and throwing in the bin (as LiPo is environmentally friendly?)

What is the proper way to dispose of a mavic battery?, thanks
2017-8-12
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Discharge to zero, put it in bath for a day or so and then you put it with your household trash.
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

1. Dispose of the battery into specific recycling boxes only after a complete discharge. Do not place the battery into regular rubbish bins. Strictly follow your local disposal and recycling regulations of batteries.
2. If the power on/off button of the Intelligent Flight Battery is disabled and the battery cannot be fully discharged, please contact a professional battery disposal/recycling agent for further assistance.
2017-8-12
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-12 18:41
1. Dispose of the battery into specific recycling boxes only after a complete discharge. Do not place the battery into regular rubbish bins. Strictly follow your local disposal and recycling regulations of batteries.
2. If the power on/off button of the Intelligent Flight Battery is disabled and the battery cannot be fully discharged, please contact a professional battery disposal/recycling agent for further assistance.

Thanks Thor - - i do not remember seeing anything about battery disposal in our local area.
In theory i get what you say but in some areas we (our town) is not so first world - in waste disposal we are somewhat behind.
We do not have any specific battery box - the discharge i can do.
I will look in the next town if they offer some proper solution according to yr recommendation - but if there is not then i need to know the best other way.
2017-8-12
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

dronist Posted at 2017-8-12 17:04
Discharge to zero, put it in bath for a day or so and then you put it with your household trash.

Thanks dronist - regular bath water or salt bath - or maybe does not matter?
2017-8-12
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-12 23:50
Thanks Thor - - i do not remember seeing anything about battery disposal in our local area.
In theory i get what you say but in some areas we (our town) is not so first world - in waste disposal we are somewhat behind.

Here in Belgium we have battery recycling disposal bins in every store.
The batteries that are thus disposed of for recycling are the usual AAA, AA or similar batteries, but not humdingers like the Mavic batteries.
I would therefore also have to contact the company that does the battery recycling to ask for their advice.

I am not sure whether the Lithium in our batteries can still be recycled, but it might be worth it, as the price of Lithium has doubled in the past ten years and is currently soaring, mainly due to speculators driving the price of Lithium artificially to prohibitive heights.
Therefore, expect the price of all Lithium batteries to rise significantly in the future.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-12 23:50

You are welcome. We don't suggest just leaving it to the regular rubbish bin, if the battery has no impact damage and you can not find a better way to dispose of the battery, you can send it back to DJI, we will help to handle it.
2017-8-13
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Ukraine

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-12 23:54
Thanks dronist - regular bath water or salt bath - or maybe does not matter?

Sorry, missed adding the SALT. Yes it is SLAT BATH!
2017-8-13
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-13 01:59
You are welcome. We don't suggest just leaving it to the regular rubbish bin, if the battery has no impact damage and you can not find a better way to dispose of the battery, you can send it back to DJI, we will help to handle it.

If I send two old Mavic batteries to DJI, will they give me a new one in exchange?
2017-8-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-13 11:34
If I send two old Mavic batteries to DJI, will they give me a new one in exchange?

that would be great - you are too optimistic :-)
2017-8-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

dronist Posted at 2017-8-13 11:25
Sorry, missed adding the SALT. Yes it is SLAT BATH!

A SLAT bath, ok gotit....
errrm whats a slat bath??
2017-8-13
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-13 12:32
that would be great - you are too optimistic :-)

If I don't ask, I won't get an answer...
2017-8-13
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-13 12:34
A SLAT bath, ok gotit....
errrm whats a slat bath??

https://www.google.com/search?q= ... =utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can use both, Slat or Salt or Salt in a Slat...
2017-8-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont dispose of lithium batteries.. if they are "broken" or running weak, i tend to manually charge them bypassing the smart circuits and i have had fairly good success on reviving dead lithium batteries from drills and other high current applications...   fairly easy if you have a bench power supply that's capable of constant current and constant voltage. first safely desolder the terminals off cells, noting the polarity,  set it to 4.200 V charging and set current to .500 mA  it take a while to charge up if flat, make sure bench supply switches over to constant voltage mode once reaches 4.1/4.2V.  once charged run a discharge curve test..  set the discharge to 1 amp and set cut off at 2.8V  note the time it took to go from full to flat and using 1 amp curve makes math easier  new battery has 3,830mAh.. means 1 amp discharge rate it should run you 3.8hours with new battery..   .. start charging again..  same settings. half amp.. 4.2V ..  figure the math hour actual capacity..  a lot of times lithium cells are in fantastic condition and can hold 80% or more charge at end of 12 months of heavy use, it's the circuitry that isn't calibrated or is the problem.. if you do have a lot of capacity left then i suggest not tossing it and retrying the intelligent board the mavi barriers include.  a lot of time if the board isn't damaged and the board is just out of calibration, it will work again..  if board fails again, then harvest the cells for another project maybe...  
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-13 11:34

Hmm... unless you pay for it I think.
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-14 02:33
Hmm... unless you pay for it I think.

The trick here would be NOT to pay.

BTW, isn't it possible for DJI to partially recycle the Mavic's battery?
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-14 03:01

Not available at the moment, but I'll make a proposal for it.
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-14 03:35
Not available at the moment, but I'll make a proposal for it.

That's great.
I could imagine that the plastic casing with its electrical contacts can easily be re-used, so replacing the battery cells only might possibly make a new Mavic battery cheaper.
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-13 18:02
i dont dispose of lithium batteries.. if they are "broken" or running weak, i tend to manually charge them bypassing the smart circuits and i have had fairly good success on reviving dead lithium batteries from drills and other high current applications...   fairly easy if you have a bench power supply that's capable of constant current and constant voltage. first safely desolder the terminals off cells, noting the polarity,  set it to 4.200 V charging and set current to .500 mA  it take a while to charge up if flat, make sure bench supply switches over to constant voltage mode once reaches 4.1/4.2V.  once charged run a discharge curve test..  set the discharge to 1 amp and set cut off at 2.8V  note the time it took to go from full to flat and using 1 amp curve makes math easier  new battery has 3,830mAh.. means 1 amp discharge rate it should run you 3.8hours with new battery..   .. start charging again..  same settings. half amp.. 4.2V ..  figure the math hour actual capacity..  a lot of times lithium cells are in fantastic condition and can hold 80% or more charge at end of 12 months of heavy use, it's the circuitry that isn't calibrated or is the problem.. if you do have a lot of capacity left then i suggest not tossing it and retrying the intelligent board the mavi barriers include.  a lot of time if the board isn't damaged and the board is just out of calibration, it will work again..  if board fails again, then harvest the cells for another project maybe...

1 amp curve ...wtf dude you are way ahead f me.
and so far as math is concerned - my ability is limited - i simply trust that people who are bold enough to make math solutions know what they are talking about and that their answer is probably right
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-14 03:01

How  about for every battery returned to dji (ok every 3) then the user gets a free tshirt.

This way dji gets more free global marketing exposure and comes off as being seen to be an active participant in best recycling practices and good waste control management.

and we get a cool tshirt
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-14 05:59
How  about for every battery returned to dji (ok every 3) then the user gets a free tshirt.

This way dji gets more free global marketing exposure  and comes off as being seen to be an active participant in best recycling practices and good waste control management.

What does the text say on that T-shirt?
"I returned my old Mavic battery and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-14 09:55
What does the text say on that T-shirt?
"I returned my old Mavic battery and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

or "i returned my old mavic battery and i got this cool T-shirt " - same thing with positive spin .

My first dead battery is going to the workshop bench and will be opened to see whats inside.
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-14 10:11
or "i returned my old mavic battery and i got this cool T-shirt " - same thing with positive spin .

My first dead battery is going to the workshop bench and will be opened to see whats inside.

I agree, my first dead Mavic battery will also be dissected.
Post the pictures of the insides here, if you can.
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-14 11:06
I agree, my first dead Mavic battery will also be dissected.
Post the pictures of the insides here, if you can.

ok - will do - but it is going to be a while before my batteries retire - although one has developed a bit of a bump along the length (bottom side) -
do you know if the battery is under warentee? - i mean if it is and my battery has swelled could i send it back for a warentee replacement?
feels like a good new thread question.
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-14 11:39
ok - will do - but it is going to be a while before my batteries retire - although one has developed a bit of a bump along the length (bottom side) -
do you know if the battery is under warentee? - i mean if it is and my battery has swelled could i send it back for a warentee replacement?
feels like a good new thread question.

Wasn't the battery still under warranty as long as the 200 recharging cycles had not been reached?
Regarding the swelling of your battery, you better read the battery's manual again and search for "swelling".
https://goo.gl/JNggfC
2017-8-14
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Manufacturers have a legal obligation to dispose of electrical goods, especially hazardous waste like batteries. DJI should not be failing in this area of the law...  

Please see: https://www.gov.uk/electricalwas ... ur-responsibilities
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-8-14 12:57
Manufacturers have a legal obligation to dispose of electrical goods, especially hazardous waste like batteries. DJI should not be failing in this area of the law...  

Please see: https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-producer-supplier-responsibilities/your-responsibilities

although authorised by DJI Technologies the actual manufacturer is or was Dongguan Amperex Technologies.
i would rather have a dji Tshirt :-)
2017-8-14
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-14 12:27
Wasn't the battery still under warranty as long as the 200 recharging cycles had not been reached?
Regarding the swelling of your battery, you better read the battery's manual again and search for "swelling".
https://goo.gl/JNggfC

Thanks yes - it has been a long trip around trying to establish certain facts - ultimately that is where i was heading towards - Is my battery still under warrentee?
If not for the full 200 cycles period then at least some measure must apply - the warentee says according to each country but in this country it is according the product producer - so i wonder still what is the answer?
2017-8-14
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-14 13:42
Thanks yes - it has been a long trip around trying to establish certain facts - ultimately that is where i was heading towards - Is my battery still under warrentee?
If not for the full 200 cycles period then at least some measure must apply - the warentee says according to each country but in this country it is according the product producer - so i wonder still what is the answer?

Only DJI Support can answer your question.
2017-8-15
Use props
M.williams
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Anyone got any old batteries, for sale
where the 4 lights indicates that the board in the battery still works
(I.e. The lipos are gone but the intelegent charge board is functional)
My lipos are fine but after a firmware upgrade the board went into unrecoverable error
Will pay cash
Either the whole battery, or a scavenged board
2017-12-16
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Take them to your local tip and treat them as car batteries. The guys are usually very pleased that you are being sensible and doing the right thing. Our trash goes from bin to lorry to recycle plant to massive grabber to incinerator. Ever seen a Lipo battery explode under the wrong environment........They are lethal.
2017-12-16
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Charge them up then shoot it with a nail gun and stand back. Let it sit overnight, then throw in the trash. Do it outdoors in a safe place.
2017-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules