Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drones @ NYC
251 11 4 days ago
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 404541

Headed to New York with the newest addition to my drone fleet, the easy to carry DJI Spark, hoping to do some flying in the very few spaces around the Jersey side of the Hudson where it’s ok to fly (since all of Manhattan is a no-drone zone), only to find that a TFR was put in effect the second day I was there, thanks to the president’s decision to go golfing in New Jersey…

However, I was happy to find that there was a drone exhibition at the Intrepid aircraft carrier museum, so it was a great opportunity to see very unique pieces of aviation history, from sea based, to unnamed, and out to space!

The City is always a fun place to visit, but until air space regulations and city ordinances change, it certainly won’t be called Drone City.

Here's the video summary of the trip: https://youtu.be/ldYxbhj4eD4

As always, thanks for watching. Any comments, questions, Likes, and new subscribers are much appreciated!

SKYER

“Fly your drone as though you were flying in it yourself…”

See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w

4 days ago
Use props
Jimmers
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 12341
United States

The shots just above the water surface were awesome! Made me a little nervous though! LOL
4 days ago
Use props
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot

Jimmers Posted at 2017-8-12 16:59
The shots just above the water surface were awesome! Made me a little nervous though! LOL

Hey thanks! As long as you disable the VPS, make sure to have enough battery left to return,  and keep an eye on your altitude, flying over water is no issue at all.

Fly on!
Skyer
3 days ago
Use props
Jimmers
Student Pilot
United States

SkyerUAS Posted at 2017-8-13 04:03
Hey thanks! As long as you disable the VPS, make sure to have enough battery left to return,  and keep an eye on your altitude, flying over water is no issue at all.

Fly on!

Why do you need to disable the VPS?
3 days ago
Use props
Tviscomi
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 32295
  • >>>
United States

Well done...thanks for sharing
3 days ago
Use props
Lucas775
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 836659
Canada

Very nice flying!
3 days ago
Use props
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot

Jimmers Posted at 2017-8-13 13:15
Why do you need to disable the VPS?

Because highly reflective and uneven surfaces, like water, don't allow the ultrasound and visual sensors to measure distance and displacement accurately. So the drone could over or under compensate if it gets too close to the surface, which could end up with it in the water.
3 days ago
Use props
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-8-13 13:20
Well done...thanks for sharing

Thanks a lot!
3 days ago
Use props
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot

all seven seconds of it ;) Thanks a lot!
3 days ago
Use props
Jimmers
Student Pilot
United States

SkyerUAS Posted at 2017-8-13 16:54
Because highly reflective and uneven surfaces, like water, don't allow the ultrasound and visual sensors to measure distance and displacement accurately. So the drone could over or under compensate if it gets too close to the surface, which could end up with it in the water.

Thanks for explaining.  I plan to eventually use mine over water while kayaking.  I just have to get brave enough first.  
3 days ago
Use props
SkyerUAS
Student Pilot
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-8-13 18:10
Thanks for explaining.  I plan to eventually use mine over water while kayaking.  I just have to get brave enough first.

No problem. As long as you keep it high enough from the water, and keep an eye on battery levels, you should be ok.
2 days ago
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 4337
Brazil

Heading to NYC also.

NFZ on entire Manhattan? Even Central Park?
2 days ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next