Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cannot Takeoff Until Activated ! and The Wasps are Safe for Now !
1252 10 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Osee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

I got my first drone ( Mavic ) yesterday and I spent untold hours trying to get my rig activated .
I have my daughter's old LG F40 and my new LG Stylo 2 Plus to work with .  With the LG F40 I could easily get to the login and all the way to the last activation screen but the phone is not in service and all I had was WiFi .  Every time got the controller and drone synched and plugged in the phone, it would knock the WiFi out . Then when I got to the activation page, I had to move very close to the WiFi router to get it to connect .  After that, it would sit there a while then finally come back with internet connection is bad or something like that .

Countless tries of that phone - and on the LG Sylus 2 Plus - on that phone when I connected to the controller USB, it would always blink off the main screen to the first agreement page, but then quickly blink to an all white page before I could tap the agree check box and the submit button on the bottom .  It would sit there and continually cycle to those 3 pages - staying on the main graphics image for a few seconds then go to the agreement page for about half a second then the white page for a couple fo seconds .  I kept trying to tap the checkbox and the submit button super fast each round .  I was able to get it a few tiimes and then it would let me login and continue with the several pages of directions and I could hit continue at the top right each page  until finally I got to the activation page .  On this phone I had WiFi and data connection, but it would just sit there forever .

During the previously mentioned cycling of the three initial pages, I could hit the fly button or the go fly button ( don't remember ) and it would take me to the main pilot screen where I could see the camera vew and settings etc.  It let me change settings and everything looked good - the bad part was the big red Cannot Takoff banner at the top left .

I was pretty sure that it was because of not being activated, but I had not read anything that stipulated that - everything I read was that piloting and flight distance and height was restricted, so I didn't know if something else was wrong .   So, for about 2 days, I never saw a prop turn and I didn't know if I ever would .

Finally I found some old versions of DJI Go and tried them on the phones .  Then I was about to give up tonight and decided to try about 3 versions back from the present one on the little LG F40 .  And it finally activated and I was able to launch for the first time .  I flew for about 30 seconds and almost crashed into the couch .

That is it for right now, I am tired of messing with it for a bit .  I went through 2 cycles of 3 Mav Batteries and about 3 cycles on the controller battery trying to get the thing to show some life .  I wonder how many new pilots spent a total of 6 battery drains just trying to get activated ?

I would have felt much better if not being activated would have at least let me fly even a little bit, instead of thinking that something else may be the problem .

So is that the official status now ?  No activation - no launch ?  I even tried a different app to try to get it to launch and it wouldn't .

Now for a good laugh -

2017-8-12
Use props
Osee
lvl.3
United States

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - when using one of the older versions of DJI Go - when the activation bombed - I got a message about NoServerDevicesFound ...

Also, I forgot to mention that another trick I tried was using BlueStacks Android emulator on my Windows 10 laptop and connecting to the Mavic with WiFi .  I was hoping that the BlueStacks would use the wired internet to talk to the activation servers ...
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Yes, the motor will not spin until you activate the drone. Both of your mobile devices are not on the support mobile list, might that be the reason you could not activate successfully. But luckily, you activated the drone at the end. BTW, we don't suggest flying the drone like the video you uploaded.
2017-8-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is the most wussy way to take care of a wasp nest.  
2017-8-13
Use props
Otterlake_Mavic
New
United States

That's probably the most expensive bee killer/hive destroyer in the country.  Now that's funny.
2017-8-13
Use props
Osee
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-13 02:49
Yes, the motor will not spin until you activate the drone. Both of your mobile devices are not on the support mobile list, might that be the reason you could not activate successfully. But luckily, you activated the drone at the end. BTW, we don't suggest flying the drone like the video you uploaded.

Why haven't I seen that or read that anywhere ?  I have watched dozens of videos and read many articles and the only thing I have heard is that a pilot is restricted before activation - not one time have I heard that you cannot takeoff .   Is that in the manual or the quick start guide ?

Did the policy change at some time in the past ?
2017-8-13
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

All I could think while watching that video was "what a silly way to potentially crash your $1,000 drone".
2017-8-13
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed ^^^
2017-8-13
Use props
chalde
First Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's some good pilot skills there And some balls - amazed that you didn't crash it.
2017-8-13
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Tekameleon Posted at 2017-8-13 06:36
All I could think while watching that video was "what a silly way to potentially crash your $1,000 drone".

Seconded. He could have at least put the gimbal cover on and not ram the camera into the nest.
Another thing that can go wrong is frying the controller board (read something about it on another thread)
2017-8-13
Use props
Osee
lvl.3
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-8-13 11:52
Seconded. He could have at least put the gimbal cover on and not ram the camera into the nest.
Another thing that can go wrong is frying the controller board (read something about it on another thread)

yeah - i agree about the camera - but it did look like he had a filter on it - at least he didn't get hornet guts on the lens .
2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules