2558 66 2017-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 410499 ft
United States

Background:
My Phantom 4 crashed and was sent in for repair.  When it was returned I noticed that the camera wasn't behaving properly.

The camera tilts to one side if I maintain a heading or hover to take a picture.  If I turn about the axis the camera levels out, then again tilts to one side.  

I sent it back for repair.  

When I got it back, the problem was not resolved.  In addtion, I noticed a couple of other things.

1 ) There is slight clicking sound when the camera moves on the vertical axis.  It is particularly noticable when putting the brace on or taking it off, but you can hear it when moving the camera through the vertical axis when it is on.
   - I don't know what this is, but I don't imagine it can be good.

2) When turned off, the camera flips downward and back until it hits the ribbon cable.  Before it would droop a bit but remain more or less pointed forward.
   - I am concerned that this will damage the ribbon cable over time.

3) The camera now has much more travel up than it did before.
   -I don't know that this much of a problem unless it overextends something.

The Fells (1 of 1).jpg
2017-8-12
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced this?  And if so, what was the solution?

2) Can this be repaired or is this going to be an ongoing problem?
2017-8-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You might do a cold drone IMU calibration, then immediately calibrate the gimbal. Do these on a completely flat surface.
You can calibrate the compass when you go out of doors, away from any ferrous metal, or significant electrical interference.

Hopefully that will fix and keep your camera horizon straight..  ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Please try what the post 3# suggested, besides, you can also try to adjust the gimbal roll. If it is the same, please provide me with your case number and post a short video about this issue for better assistance.
2017-8-12
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-12 20:55
You might do a cold drone IMU calibration, then immediately calibrate the gimbal. Do these on a completely flat surface.
You can calibrate the compass when you go out of doors, away from any ferrous metal, or significant electrical interference.

That was done prior to sending it in for repair.  I have not done that since it returned.  I will do it again.

Thank you.
2017-8-13
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-12 22:59
Please try what the post 3# suggested, besides, you can also try to adjust the gimbal roll. If it is the same, please provide me with your case number and post a short video about this issue for better assistance.

Thank you.  I have now done that.  I will attempt to take to the air today to see if this has resolved the issue.
2017-8-13
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Try and do a gimbal adjust while flying to straighten the horizon or get a flat surface and adjust your gimbal
2017-8-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-13 03:42
Thank you.  I have now done that.  I will attempt to take to the air today to see if this has resolved the issue.

Looking forward to a positive outcome, from you today. Fingers crossed!! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-13 03:42

Hope it goes well, please keep us updated.
2017-8-13
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-12 22:59

I checked the camera before leaving today.  I noticed that the camera was not level.  I adjusted the gimbal roll and was able to level it.  I was really hoping I could come back and say I'd been an idiot and the problem was resolved.

I took it out again this evening.  Unfortunately, the problem still exists.  I attempted to level the camera in flight, and it appeared that it was successful, but ultimately it was not.  The camera continues to dip to one side.  Sometimes it seems more pronounced than others.

I was going to PM you the case number, but am unable to send you a message.  The case number is: CAS-756308-C5R1J7.  I can provide further background if you wish.

2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-13 19:48
I checked the camera before leaving today.  I noticed that the camera was not level.  I adjusted the gimbal roll and was able to level it.  I was really hoping I could come back and say I'd been an idiot and the problem was resolved.

I took it out again this evening.  Unfortunately, the problem still exists.  I attempted to level the camera in flight, and it appeared that it was successful, but ultimately it was not.  The camera continues to dip to one side.  Sometimes it seems more pronounced than others.

Thank you for the info. If you don't mind, could you please provide a short video to show us the self-inspection process of the gimbal, I'll forward it to our engineers for a look first.
You can use a phone or a camera to record it, put your phone or camera in the front of the gimbal when it is on the same level of the gimbal, start to record, then power on the drone, keep recording until the drone is totally powered up. Sorry for the trouble you have been caused, thank you in advance.
2017-8-13
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

I can, although I might not be able to do it until next week.  I am preparing to leave for a few days and don't know if I will get a chance to do it before I head out.  If I don't, I will upon my return.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-14 01:02
I can, although I might not be able to do it until next week.  I am preparing to leave for a few days and don't know if I will get a chance to do it before I head out.  If I don't, I will upon my return.

Thanks, please reply my post once it's done, then I'll get a reminder, will forward it to our engineers in time.
2017-8-14
Use props
mpaka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19252874 ft
Serbia

What is your firmware version in the aircraft?
2017-8-15
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-13 23:57
Thank you for the info. If you don't mind, could you please provide a short video to show us the self-inspection process of the gimbal, I'll forward it to our engineers for a look first.
You can use a phone or a camera to record it, put your phone or camera in the front of the gimbal when it is on the same level of the gimbal, start to record, then power on the drone, keep recording until the drone is totally powered up. Sorry for the trouble you have been caused, thank you in advance.

DJI Diana,

Will this video suffice?  

Also note that you can hear the clicking I mentioned as the camera goes through the vertical movements.  Between 5 and 9 seconds you can hear 3 distinct 'clicks.'

If you need something else, please let me know.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-23 07:10
DJI Diana,

Will this video suffice?  

Thanks, I've forwarded it to our engineers for analysis, will get back to you once I got a reply from them.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-23 07:10
DJI Diana,

Will this video suffice?  

Antares, I am sorry to say that you may need to send the drone in again. Please refer to the link below to contact the Support to start a case, then provide me your case number, I'll do my best to escalate it for you. Sincerely sorry again for the trouble you have been caused.
2017-8-24
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-24 20:18
Antares, I am sorry to say that you may need to send the drone in again. Please refer to the link below to contact the Support to start a case, then provide me your case number, I'll do my best to escalate it for you. Sincerely sorry again for the trouble you have been caused.

Thank you.  I am okay with that if I can get it fixed.

I am not seeing a link.  Should I just go through the DJI website?
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-8-24 20:40
Thank you.  I am okay with that if I can get it fixed.

I am not seeing a link.  Should I just go through the DJI website?

Sorry, you can go through the DJI website, here is a link again. http://www.dji.com/support , click repair service, then choose Online Repair Request.
2017-8-25
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-25 01:21
Sorry, you can go through the DJI website, here is a link again. http://www.dji.com/support , click repair service, then choose Online Repair Request.

DJI Diana,

The new case number is CAS-930897-L6Y4N3

I do, however, have concerns.  I have been going back through my correspondence regarding the repair history.   

When I originally sent the unit in, I was quoted $301 for repairs, which I approved.   I received the repaired unit which now had the tilted camera issue.   The serial number of the unit that was returned does not match that of the one that was originally sent in.

I sent that in repair.  Once that was done, I had it returned to me.  The serial number of that unit does not match that of the one that I sent in.

So, if the serial numbers are to be believed,
I sent in my damaged Phantom 4, paid $301 and had a different Phantom 4 returned to me.
- I sent that Phantom 4 back because the camera tilted to one side and was sent a completely different Phantom 4 with the same issue.  

To say I am...frustrated...would be an understatement.  I would have gladly paid the $301 to have the Phantom 4 repaired, even receiving a refurbished one, if it had been returned working correctly.

Thank you for looking into, and keeping an eye one this.
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Sincerely sorry for this, if I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. I am keeping an eye on it, will escalate it once the drone arrives. Hope everything goes smoothly.
2017-8-28
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-28 23:31
Sincerely sorry for this, if I were in your position, I would feel just as you do. I am keeping an eye on it, will escalate it once the drone arrives. Hope everything goes smoothly.

The package was delivered yesterday.

Thank you for looking into this.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-7 03:41
The package was delivered yesterday.

Thank you for looking into this.

Thanks for the update, I've forwarded this case to the local office to double check it and escalate it, sorry for the trouble you've been caused.
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-8 02:03
Thanks for the update, I've forwarded this case to the local office to double check it and escalate it, sorry for the trouble you've been caused.

Thank you DJI Diana.  

I have already received an update from the repair center.  
"Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to six business days. "

Under remarks there is the following entry.  "No fault found."

This concerns me as there is obviously a problem.

2017-9-8
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

We call it tilted horizon.  You will never 100% fix it - it will never go away.  I highly recommend you do not waste your time swapping drones.  You are better off trying IMU calibrations and gimbal calibrations.  You may eventually get a phantom that works a bit better - but the issue will always crop up.  

I'm surprised your first issue didn't have it more prominently.  Every single DJI product I have ever had eventually has a tilted horizon issue.
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana,

I just received a call from someone and we spoke briefly.  He says that t he unit has been tagged for warranty repair.  I sent him a link to the video and he said he will review it and go over it with the technician who
is doing the repair.   He gave me some additional information which including the likely resolution and said that it would be sent back via 2 day shipping.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
2017-9-8
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-9-8 05:51
We call it tilted horizon.  You will never 100% fix it - it will never go away.  I highly recommend you do not waste your time swapping drones.  You are better off trying IMU calibrations and gimbal calibrations.  You may eventually get a phantom that works a bit better - but the issue will always crop up.  

I'm surprised your first issue didn't have it more prominently.  Every single DJI product I have ever had eventually has a tilted horizon issue.

If I had the problem when I first got it, it wasn't really noticeable.   My avatar was shot from my Phantom and I don't recall having to do any correction to the horizon.  I may have, but if I did, it was negligible.
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-8 07:55
DJI Diana,

I just received a call from someone and we spoke briefly.  He says that t he unit has been tagged for warranty repair.  I sent him a link to the video and he said he will review it and go over it with the technician who

You are welcome, hope it can be sorted out shortly. Should you have any further questions about this case, please feel free to contact us.
2017-9-10
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-10 01:00
You are welcome, hope it can be sorted out shortly. Should you have any further questions about this case, please feel free to contact us.

DJI Diana,

I have an update.

I received a notice that the repair was completed and that the unit has been shipped.

I have concerns.  There is no indication as to what was repaired.  I simply got an email that repairs were completed.   When I paid for the repair, I received an itemized list of what was being repaired.  This does not provide any such list.

The gentleman I spoke to on Friday said that they were going to probably end up replacing the unit.  I told him I was fine with that; I just wanted the problem fixed.  According to the email, the SN of the unit being returned matches the the one that was sent out.  I am wondering if that is just an auto-filled field based on the case number.

I am going to reach out to the guy I spoke to on Friday and see if I can get clarification as to what was done.   I don't want to be a Negative Nellie, but I hope you can understand my cause for concern.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-11 18:57
DJI Diana,

I have an update.

Antares, I totally understand your cause for concern, checked your case, the gimbal has been replaced under warranty. There is no itemized list since this is a warranty case.  I think you would receive the drone soon, please check the performance of the drone once it arrives and keep us updated.
2017-9-11
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

Thank you very much, DJI Diana.   

I had wondered if the fact that it was warranty work might be the reason there was itemized invoice, but was concerned since it said the same thing when it was returned last time.

I am  looking forward to getting some air time this weekend and will report the results.
2017-9-12
Use props
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI Diana...

Any particular reason you decided to not support my similar problem - after posting a video as you requested?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D369%26typeid%3D369

Thanks, or...?
2017-9-12
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

Just a quick update.  

I received the drone on Wednesday.   I won't get a chance to fly it until this weekend, but two things are immediately apparent in regards to points 1 and 2.  

The clicking sound as the camera moves through the vertical axis is now absent.

The camera sits in what I have come to think of as the 'normal' position when the drone is powered off.

I'd expect that to be the case with the gimbal having been replaced.

I am optimistic that when I get out this weekend the tilted horizon and the excessive upward travel will prove to be fixed as well.
2017-9-15
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-11 23:13
Antares, I totally understand your cause for concern, checked your case, the gimbal has been replaced under warranty. There is no itemized list since this is a warranty case.  I think you would receive the drone soon, please check the performance of the drone once it arrives and keep us updated.

DJI Diana,

I had hoped to provide photos and/or a video showing that the problem had been corrected.  Unfortunately, I cannot say that it is.

It is obvious that the drone was not flight tested after the repair was made.   The controller will not connect to the drone.  I have now spent at least 90 minutes trying to get this to work.

-I have restarted the drone, controller, and my tablet numerous times.

-I have uninstalled and re-installed the DJI app.

-I have updated the firmware.  

I keep getting messages about the Spark.  I don't own a Spark.  Why am I seeing this every time I start the app?

-On occasion I will get "RC Connected" with the option to "Enter Device" on my tablet.  When I tap "Enter Device"  I get "Aircraft Disconnected" on the next screen.  

I am at wits end.  It has been nearly 2 month since I sent it in to repair this problem and not only have the problems not been fixed, I've had more of them every time I get the drone back.  I am to the point now where I can't even fly my drone.   To say I am unhappy is a gross understatement.

I have no idea where to go from here.

2017-9-16
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-11 23:13

I should also add that I have tried to link without using the tablet following the instructions here.  That does not work either.

2017-9-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-16 20:14
I should also add that I have tried to link without using the tablet following the instructions here.  That does not work either.

https://youtu.be/zKa8F1rsx-o?t=1m14s

Antares, are you able to check the firmware version of the RC and the drone? Are they both up to date? For the drone, you can check it via DJI Assistant 2.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Mike65 Posted at 2017-9-12 06:17
DJI Diana...

Any particular reason you decided to not support my similar problem - after posting a video as you requested?

Replied your thread, should you have any further questions, please click 'Reply' button, then I'll be able to reply you in time.
2017-9-18
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-18 01:53
Antares, are you able to check the firmware version of the RC and the drone? Are they both up to date? For the drone, you can check it via DJI Assistant 2.

DJI Diana,

The controller is 1.9.3

The drone is 1.02.0602
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Antares Fortune Posted at 2017-9-18 03:20
DJI Diana,

The controller is 1.9.3

Could you please upgrade the firmware of drone via DJI Assistant 2, then try to link them again?
2017-9-19
Use props
Antares Fortune
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-19 22:13
Could you please upgrade the firmware of drone via DJI Assistant 2, then try to link them again?

I upgraded to  2.00.0106.

It will still not connect to the controller.
2017-9-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules