Mavic Pro - Choppy videos while recording on IOS in MP4?
1561 6 2017-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bwall18
New
Switzerland

Hello,

I thought it is usefull to give this topic its own thread.

One week after I had bought and played with my MAVIC PRO I expierenced suddendly very choppy vidoes while recording and even the message "CPU load ... on mobile device" appeared a few times. Espcially in Active Track - Follow mode - Rounding you could litterally see how the images got badly choppy as soon as I pressed the record button.

My Set-Up:
- Mavic Pro with 64GB U1 Class 10 miniSD
- RC with Iphone 6
- Video Caching while recording in mobile device  enabled
- Resolution 4k
- Recording format: mp4

Playing with a number of setting, calibrating everything didn't help. I reduced resolution to 2.7k format: No improvement.
I was already guessing that it was somehow related to my Iphone 6 because with my crappy Samsung J3 it was better. Also the recent CPU-Load alarm concerend me.

In this forum I found the hint to disable "Video Caching while recording". It did it ..... and the problem was solved. Smooth movements again. :-)

But I was still wondering why I didn't have the issue at the begining with "Video Caching" enabled . So I compared the videos I recorded at the begining with the later ones.
And found it:

The first videos I recorded   were in ".mov" format and had 1920x0180 resoltuion (factory settings).
The choppy videos were recorded in ".mp4" and 4k-format.

So obviously processing mp4-format datastreams demands so much processing power from the Iphone6 (or IOS in general) that it made the videos choppy and caused the high CPU-load.
I moved back the ".mov"-format, enabled the Video Caching and stayed in 2.7k resolution. I looks ok.

Based on this my recommedation is
- For IOS-devices with "Video Caching" enabled only record in ".mov"-format
- If you expirience any performance issues on your mobile device connected with the RC (choppy videos while recording, CPU load issues) disable "Video Caching"

Best regards,
Knut

2017-8-13
Use props
bwall18
New
Switzerland

P.S: It was the "CPU overload ..." message
2017-8-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey Knut - thanks for the breakdown.
2017-8-13
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

I beleive that it has all to do with .mov for IOS
MP4 is for android.
I do not think that video caching has a role to play
2017-8-13
Use props
bwall18
New
Switzerland

It seems so.
But disabling Video Caching on mobile device (Iphone) prevented the iphone from needing to process and store the video locally and helped therefore as well reducing the CPU load.
Nevertheless, one should not use mp4 on Apple  I learned now the hard way.  ;-)
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Had you checked the original video, I guess only the cache video is choppy. You can also try to fly the drone in an open and wide environment. CPU overload message will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU, when CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get heat. We suggest that users use a monitor hood or avoid the direct sunlight to the mobile screen.
2017-8-14
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3574003 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-14 00:43
Had you checked the original video, I guess only the cache video is choppy. You can also try to fly the drone in an open and wide environment. CPU overload message will test the usage of the mobile device's CPU, when CPU is overloaded, decoding of transmission and flight communication system may be affected and the device will get heat. We suggest that users use a monitor hood or avoid the direct sunlight to the mobile screen.

When we (my job) got the CPU overload message, it wouldn't even allow us to fly. It wouldn't load up the maps or anything. Basically it was saying our iPad Mini 2 was no longer powerful enough to run the latest version of the Go App. We used an iPad Air the other day and we had no problems.
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules