Jell-O Effect after repairs?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
funnyman850
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44918 ft

United States

A while ago I crashed my P3P into a tree and it fell into the water. I recovered it, replaced the ofdm module, and the ribbon cable for the camera and gimbal along with getting new props directly from DJI. Everything works fine but I did notice a Jell-O effect when the aircraft is holding in one position. When the gimbal/aircraft is moving the Jell-O effect is not present. The gimbal does sometimes switch axes where the roll is supposed to be changed but the pitch changes but that usually goes away after a few minutes. My question is would it be a balance issue or something else like a gimbal?
2017-8-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It sounds like the gimbal is either not stabilising the camera properly or is vibrating. Post a section (short) of the problem to Dropbox so we can see it.
2017-8-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Check the vibration dampers and anti drop pins on gimbal.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

quadpilot Posted at 2017-8-13 16:21
forgive me for asking but what is a jell o effect

Read this, it explains jello: http://forum.dji.com/thread-34408-1-1.html
2017-8-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

quadpilot Posted at 2017-8-13 16:21
forgive me for asking but what is a jell o effect

Wiggle a bowl of jello. Notice how it jiggles.

Sometimes, the gimbal doesn't react as if should during video recording,, and we see wavy lines and distracting picture movement.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Could you send us some videos for further assistance? Also, please PM me your case number, I'd like to look into it.
2017-8-13
Use props
funnyman850
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-13 14:59
It sounds like the gimbal is either not stabilising the camera properly or is vibrating. Post a section (short) of the problem to Dropbox so we can see it.

Example of jell-o effect: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5qvfxcf3cgw95z/DJI_0007.MOV?dl=0
2017-8-13
Use props
Hemlock_Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 107418 ft
Canada

never heard of the jello effect, best of luck tho
2017-8-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

funnyman850 Posted at 2017-8-13 18:42
Example of jell-o effect: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5qvfxcf3cgw95z/DJI_0007.MOV?dl=0

Yeah, that is pretty serious. AS RedHot Poker says, check the silicone rubber dampers that connect the camera assembly to the aircraft. Some times they fail. Als check you only have two anti-drop pins fitted, not four.

2017-8-13
Use props
funnyman850
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-13 18:55
Yeah, that is pretty serious. AS RedHot Poker says, check the silicone rubber dampers that connect the camera assembly to the aircraft. Some times they fail. Als check you only have two anti-drop pins fitted, not four.

Only have 2 pins fitted and I replaced the ripped anti-vibration pieces after the crash. A couple were broken before and they worked fine. I did also have to use a ziptie to keep the shell together which leads me to think it might be a balancing issue. I just put one on the opposite side and will see if it works tomorrow.
2017-8-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

funnyman850 Posted at 2017-8-13 19:01
Only have 2 pins fitted and I replaced the ripped anti-vibration pieces after the crash. A couple were broken before and they worked fine. I did also have to use a ziptie to keep the shell together which leads me to think it might be a balancing issue. I just put one on the opposite side and will see if it works tomorrow.

I should not think the tie would cause that, but try it anyway. The best trick is to fire up the aircraft on a wooden table, with props and all, but don't take off. Then look carefully to see if the camera is vibrating. Next, take off and hover just over your head and check it again. Also touch the camera to see it it is vibrating. Be very careful of the props while doing these tests.

2017-8-13
Use props
funnyman850
lvl.1

United States

Turns out the problem was the ziptie unbalancing the aircraft. Thanks for the help everyone!
2017-8-15
Use props
funnyman850
lvl.1

United States

funnyman850 Posted at 2017-8-15 14:54
Turns out the problem was the ziptie unbalancing the aircraft. Thanks for the help everyone!

It was not the problem. Still looking. I just replaced a lock as one was kind of loose. That also did not really fix it.
2017-8-15
Use props
funnyman850
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-13 20:26
I should not think the tie would cause that, but try it anyway. The best trick is to fire up the aircraft on a wooden table, with props and all, but don't take off. Then look carefully to see if the camera is vibrating. Next, take off and hover just over your head and check it again. Also touch the camera to see it it is vibrating. Be very careful of the props while doing these tests.

So here is what I got when the AC was started with motors on. No jello effect. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a47phbw4qg0026i/DJI_0011.MOV?dl=0

But afterwards I did it again and there was a little stuttering but no jello effect. The stuttering happens around 0:25
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pia00zhd567cn9z/DJI_0010.MOV?dl=0

I also noticed on the first clip I sent a link to originally did have a weird movement at about 27 seconds where the roll motor shifted the gimbal. I'm thinking it might be an issue with alignment there or with tightness.
2017-8-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

funnyman850 Posted at 2017-8-15 15:59
So here is what I got when the AC was started with motors on. No jello effect. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a47phbw4qg0026i/DJI_0011.MOV?dl=0

But afterwards I did it again and there was a little stuttering but no jello effect. The stuttering happens around 0:25

Seeing that removing the cable tie stopped it happening, I am guessing it was preventing the gimbal supports from isolating the vibration.
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules