Mavic and Strange Crashing in flight
878 5 2017-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
classiczone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1524875 ft
New Zealand

Hi Guys I'm having this strange problem with my mavic Crashing in mid flight as seen in my attachef video this has happend to me 3 times now what could be causing this? I do gimbal , Imu,compass calibrations on every flight
http://classiczone.synology.me:5000/sharing/rIvSB9b6K
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Looks like the gimbal is resetting.  Did anything happen before? What is the firmware version of the drone, is it up to date?
2017-8-14
Use props
classiczone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1524875 ft
New Zealand

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-14 00:25
Looks like the gimbal is resetting.  Did anything happen before? What is the firmware version of the drone, is it up to date?

I'm using latest firmware. I've never crashed the drone ever just crashing mid flight and I press return to home button takes a few moments for mavic to resettle thankfully all 3 times this has happened I've managed to get it back with Return to Home button. I'm just concerned that soon I might loose total control of my mavic.
2017-8-14
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

classiczone Posted at 2017-8-14 00:36
I'm using latest firmware. I've never crashed the drone ever just crashing mid flight and I press return to home button takes a few moments for mavic to resettle thankfully all 3 times this has happened I've managed to get it back with Return to Home button. I'm just concerned that soon I might loose total control of my mavic.

Ok - let's start from the beginning.

- calibrating everything before every flight is not a good solution - calibration is only needed when the device tells you do to so or if you see strange things happening - frequent calibrations is actually asking for trouble because every calibration can go wrong and then you might even have trouble controlling your device - gimbal calibration only when it does not function properly, compass calibration once after purchase and never again, IMU calibration only when the gimbal and/or controls act unreliably,

- RTH should be used sparingly and mostly in an emergency - sketchy behavior of the gimbal is not such an emergency - please try to always fly your craft manually and then you're avoiding most of the risk of badly acting software - this goes as well for the take off and landing (you can do this manually, no need to swipe the screen for it),

- gimbal malfunctioning has nothing to do with your flight controls - as long as you can control the aircraft all is good - the gimbal should not act like this of course but this is not something that is directly linked with your control of the aircraft - therefore you need to resolve the current problem but it does not mean you cannot fly.

To resolve the problem I would suggest the following:
- connect the craft to your computer,
- using Assistant downgrade to a previous firmware (the oldest available),
- just below the upgrade/downgrade you have a button for factory reset - use it,
- now update to the latest firmware,
- again reset to factory defaults,
- start your Mavic and double-check and choose all applicable settings and fly.

Hope this helps a bit at least. Happy flying ;-)
2017-8-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As "rnrnrn " said, no Calibration of any kind unless you are asked by the APP.

For now, you need to do a COLD IMU calibration, if the weather is NOT 10 C or less, take the battery out and place your MP in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then, turn your app on go straght to IMU CALIBRATIION, put the battery in and start the IMU calibration on a 100% level surface away from metal.

Then do an AUTO GIMBALL calibration.

Then do a compass calibration outside, away from metal, concrete slab, rail, cars, phone, metal wallet, keys etc.

Again don't do anymore calibration UNLESS the APP ask you to do it! Good luck!
2017-8-14
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

classiczone Posted at 2017-8-14 00:36

Hi Classiczone,

You were not the only one facing the problem.

Same strange behaviour happened to my Mavic Pro midflight on 13 Aug 2017. At about 12 minutes 49 seconds of my second flight on that day when my Mavic Pro was at 26m high and at a distance of 230m away from its home point, the gimbal acted randomly midair, and the video downlink was so odd that it was unable for me to comprehend what was happening. After a couple of seconds, a message "Tips Switch video resolution to 2.7k" appeared on the DJI Go4 App - the meaning of which I could not understand. I immediately brought it back and landed it.

This flight was the second flight after I updated my Mavic Pro to the latest firmware of ver 1.03.0900 on 12 Aug 2017, i.e. the day before such happening. Subsequent inspection of the video cache of the DJI Go4 App and the actual 4k video recorded in the microSD card revealed that both video cache and actual video in microSD card stopped at 12 minutes 36 seconds, which stopping was without my command!

Analysing the flight record via AIRDATA UAV site did not reveal any anomaly except only the showing the said "Tips" at 12 minutes 52 seconds, which I didn't understand. It seems there was something wrong with either the RC, iOS device, DJI Go4 App, or the Mavic Pro such that erratic yet machine-generated commands of stopping video recording, erratic gimbal pitching up and down, and finally a change of video resolution from 4k to 2.7k were received by the aircraft, all within a couple of seconds. I am not sure whether there was a crashing of the RC resulting with such erractic commands (if they were really generated) without any input of me!

The first flight and the third flight on that day were absolutely normal. For information, my Mavic Pro was bought on the first day Mavic Pro was released by DJI last year, and it has logged more than 31 hours of total flight time with over 480km flight distance before this incident.

I will keep in view of the situation in future and will report back of any similar anomaly if encountered.

Henry

2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules