I2 reliability
742 10 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Erka56
lvl.2
Netherlands

Dear members,

First some info, I bought my first drone 4 months ago which was the Mavic.
Had some problems with the drone ( jello effect ), drone came back from repair but as a die hard photographer my interest went to better image quality.
So I also bought the P4P as well, too bad again problems after firmware update ( Bricked IMU ), but the image quality was way better then the Mavic ( offcourse )
I took my P4P back to the store, and i want to step up the game to the I2 with X5s, this becuase my hunger for better data is big.

I see lots of positive videos and reviews, but you must understand that something inside me does make me feel uncomfortable with another Dji product.
On youtube i found 3 people which had a I2 falling out of the air, sure we got insurance but lets say it doenst make me feel satisfied to see it.
Also on the forum i see several complains about issues which does make me concern if this product will fit in my demands.
Now, before ill pick up the package what are your experiences with the I2?

Thanks in advice, Kind regards Erwin Kats.

2017-8-14
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Erka,

I understand your concern and I wish I could give you comfort and say the I2 would be a different experience but the reality is, it would probably be worse than what you have experienced so far (from my own experience with it).In regards to all those positive reviews online. DJI picks and sends 'good I2s' to famous Youtubers to review them. They give it credit because they did not pay for it and anyhow, like I said, these are handpicked ones to make sure they don't have the otherwise common problems.

I also have the Mavic, got it right away when it came out. Never had issues with it, flew it all over the world in the last 10 months and it has never had problems.

I also have the Inspire 2 and it has been a different story (I also had the Inspire 1 Pro, which was much better).

Here is a short summary of the Inspire 2 problems:

-The Infamous I2 rattle propellers. ALL I2 propellers rattle when spun (more often than not the Red ones), the propellers have a tolerance issue which is well known and understood but DJI does not seem to think it is worth fixing
-The Inspire 2 propeller mounts are also not quite right, there are issues, these ideally need replacing too
-Poor signal quality (you will be very disappointed especially after flying the Mavic) Signal is WORSE than the DJI Phantom 2, seriously, no joke. Video cuts at 350m, RC signal cuts at 650. DJI P2 goes to 2km before cutting out.
-Poor Build quality (don't expect it to be straight and aligned properly, it will be wonky and potentially even loose at some parts, very irritating
-Poor Quality Control, they will literally send you a broken unit making you wonder whether anyone even checked it was working
I have the X5S camera which I send back because it has crazy amount of noise in it. Got a new one back which works fine.
Upon receiving my Inspire 2 I immediately noticed the arms being loose and wonky, not straight. This can cause vibration mid-flight and lead to a crash, very bad. I also send the Inspire 2 back, they did not send me a new one but instead tightened a screw and returned it (after 4 weeks). Needless to say, literally after 5 min after unpacking it was straight back to loose miss-aligned arms like I bought this from a street shop in india.

However, if you don't mind having these issues and are willing to pay a small fortune for it, then you will be rewarded with probably some of the best image quality you can get right now, if your camera works and your I2 does not disintegrate in mid-air.

I guess its a bit of luck, you might get a broken one or not. Kinda shocking when you consider the price though. Only you can make this choice.If I was you, I would be looking at Yuneec products for the larger drones which also have great cameras. This is what I will be doing now since I learned my lesson here with DJI

2017-8-14
Use props
Erka56
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hey JBSonic,

Thanks for your experience!
The things you explain are the things that made me wait with before getting one.
It scares me even more, I dint read about ''major'' X5s problems yet until now !
I received several requests by company to supply them with drone footage, last Saturday I almost pulled the trigger, and now I am even more concerned.

But you made me laugh as well with this one ''if your camera works and your I2 does not disintegrate in mid-air.''
next week a new batch of I2's will arrive at one of the Dutch dealerships, if I pull the trigger I will wait for that batch for sure, but it seems like some problems are not solved yet. ( just like the Mavic Jello and Phantom firmware problems)
Thanks again for your very useful information!!!
2017-8-14
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Erka,

to be fair, the X5S is a very good camera and I would not expect you to have any problems with it, I am sure mine was a rare exception and like I said, I was sent a new one which works perfectly.
The Inspire 2 itself is where most of the issues lie and most of them are unresolved.
It might be wiser to wait for a new release of it, like the Inspire 1 Pro back then, which might be of better quality.
2017-8-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I had the prop issue with the I2, but I solved it using the CA glue on the bottom of the props so it wasn't a big deal.  Shouldn't have happened but given I've built RC planes from sticks it was just part of the hobby to fix things as they are not perfect.

I have had an issue when the RC itself disconnected, but it was within sight and I got it back on restarting the RC unit.  Happens with RC helicopter and planes too at times.  Might be radio interference.

My X5S camera has a strong magenta tint to it in manual white balance where the 45mm lens needs a CC05 Green, and the stock 15mm needs a strong CC10 Green to get a neutral gray, but DJI is aware of it and supposedly will issue a update soon to address it - I hope!  Some of it can be fixed in post, but I hate spending hours editing and then finding some colors just don't come out right with the tint messing it up originally.  If image is right going in, it's lot easier coming out.

I've learned a lot of this is pot luck with DJI.  Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not.  Depends if you can deal with it or not, but crooked sensors and bad batteries is my limit and they go back pronto to the store for an exchange.  Best Buy is really good on their exchanges within 14 days if you find something wrong.

Good luck!
2017-8-14
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yea you described it well, with DJI it's all about luck, despite the premium price.
My I2 arrived like this:
You noticed how the propellers are not level, for this it was send back to them and it came back being miss-aligned the other way. It seems if it just about stays in the air is good enough for DJI, it does not need to be straight or well put together,

after all, you got a screw driver and some glue right? Get screwing and gluing !! They should change the describtion from: "RTF (Ready to Fly)" to "ARTFWG (Almost Ready to Fly with Glue)
2017-8-14
Use props
Erka56
lvl.2
Netherlands

Its making me laugh and cry hahahahaha.
I have three assignments waiting for me, people can't wait to get drone footage for their company.
So there is some kind of positive pressure building up, and I want the I2 but my glue skills aren't that good.
The misalignment is quiet an issue I assume, it will cost more battery I think to keep te drone flying correctly because its correcting its own mechanical fault right?

@fansa84fe8a4 sounds like a lottery !, well I am not afraid of the guarantee and after sales service, it was perfect till so far!
Only what makes me crazy is that I and also other people need to spend valuable time with things we already know .
Both thanks again for the information!
2017-8-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the I2 with X5S and absolutely love it. Best bird yet, this is my 8th DJI drone and haven't had problems with any of them.
Providing you buy from a reputable dealer. things can and will work out. My I2 arrived in a very confused state. It would not completely start up. The FPV camera kept rolling side to side and up and down. After trying all I could do, (FW updates, delete and reload GO4 app, etc.) I called the dealer. He sent me a second one immediately with no hassles whatsoever. (Florida Drone Supply)
Did NOT make me wait until the bad one came back, Did NOT tell me to send it to DJI, Did NOT tell me to call DJI. He replaced it right away. Label to send back the bad one arrived the same day the replacement did. (In 2 days)
Thankfully, #2 rocks!!!
And the X5S Rocks!
Only thing I changed is I upgraded to the Heleingaden folding CF props.  

DJI does have some bugs to work out, but what cutting edge technological product doesn't?
2017-8-14
Use props
Erka56
lvl.2
Netherlands

Aeromirage, you are right about that!!
For something that stands on your desk I can live with it that there are bugs, but with at least 4kg hanging in the air I ''expect'' that there are no problems.
Can you tell me more about the Heleingaden folding carbon props? I can not find anything online about it.
I have seen foldable CF props on Youtube from Koptermax they look very promising and will eliminate the rattle.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Appreciate to your support to DJI products and sorry for the experience with Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro. If you need our assistance about repair process, please keep us posted.
But for Inspire 2, I think it would a good choice for a professional photographer due to its all-new image processing system.
As for what JBSonic mentioned, we have improve the propellers and that would not affect the performance of aircraft and its life.
The image transmission quality is fine and much better than other products.
For the quality control, we are sorry that the problem persists after repair, we apologize to JBSonic.
The product may not be perfect, but we listen to all the feedback on social media and our engineers are working on improving quality to make customers have a pleasant experience with our products.
2017-8-14
Use props
Erka56
lvl.2
Netherlands

Thanks Mindy,

I just did the order for the I2, the store where I ordered from will receive a new batch of I2's coming week or next week.
With this I hope te receive a ''better'' version then the stores that have them in stock currently.
Thanks to above information I know where I have to look at for sure.
I Will keep everybody posted on my own experiences.
If the propellor fix is the foam insert, then I read online that people still experience the rattle but after a certain amount of time then my interest will still go to the third party carbon props.

Regards, Erwin.
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules