Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crystalsky has too many bugs. FRUSTRATED OWNER
4152 37 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PimpDawg
First Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I've had my Crystalsky for about 1.5 weeks now and used it extensively on a trip over the weekend. I was previously using an iPhone 7+ which worked flawlessly but I wanted a brighter screen so I bought the 5.5" Crystalsky.

The GO 4 app crashes every time I fly using it. The app behaves strangely while using it - aside from crashes and disconnects, I can go into camera settings to try to select HDR but the only option it will show is Single Shot until I reboot the CS......  I also tried to use the Gallery app to delete some video files from the microSD card I inserted into one of it's two slots and I can select the video, press delete and get "Unfortunately, Gallery has stopped." EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Rebooting didn't fix it, still does it. I had to break out my laptop to delete files from the sd card (frustrating when you're out in a remote location like I was). The app will sporadically record video. Sometimes it will just stop recording on it's own. I tried a different SD card, same result.

^^^keep in mind, I can fly using the same SD cards, same Mavic and controller, using my iPhone and I have none of these problems. What is the common denominator? Buggy Crystalsky.

I have restored factory settings, still loaded with bugs. WTF DJI? I am VERY unhappy with this product. Yes, it is on the latest firmware.

I know the GO app crashes a lot on Android but I chalked that up to there being so many different Android devices out there. But this is your custom made device with custom made Android platform!

This thing is not ready for use out in the field and I feel like I've been scammed out of nearly $500. The only thing it has going for it is the bright screen.....but that isn't enough to carry this device when it's usability is rubbish.
2017-8-14
Use props
jlm1951
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Install the August 11th updates.
They solve a lot (not all) of what you mention.
Also, turn wifi off when flying. That seems to add to CPU load if you aren't connected to a wifi network.
2017-8-14
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

jlm1951 Posted at 2017-8-14 07:36
Install the August 11th updates.
They solve a lot (not all) of what you mention.
Also, turn wifi off when flying. That seems to add to CPU load if you aren't connected to a wifi network.

As I stated in my post, my CS is on the latest firmware (v02.02.08.01). Updated as soon as I took it out of the box. When I have it check for updates it says it's on the latest. If there is a newer one please advise.

WiFi is not on when I fly, never has been.

Thanks.
2017-8-14
Use props
jlm1951
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ok

Hopefully, a moderator will see your post and come up with something.

FYI,
After the updates on my 5.5 and 7.85 most of the problems went away.
The biggest was DJI starting both apps at the same time.
Having two apps accessing the same ports and such at the same time is asking for trouble.
The only big problem I'm having is the app coming up "disconnected" even though the Mavic and Phantom controllers I have are both connected to the AC.
In fact, the aircraft both fly fine even though the app isn't showing anything. Takes much plugging/unplugging of cables and rebooting to get the app to show the AC is connected.
This happens on both size CSs.

2017-8-14
Use props
fans11489028
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

not sure this will help, but a lot of my problems were solved when i connected 5.8ghz only and i shut off local cache recording. before i did this, the app would crash everytime i tried to take a picture
2017-8-14
Use props
PimpDawg
First Officer
United States

fans11489028 Posted at 2017-8-14 14:32
not sure this will help, but a lot of my problems were solved when i connected 5.8ghz only and i shut off local cache recording. before i did this, the app would crash everytime i tried to take a picture

I'm not sure what you mean about 5.8ghz. I connect the Crystalsky to my Mavic and P4A controllers via cable, both of which operate solely on 2.4ghz from RC to aircraft.

Also, this would do nothing to solve the gallery app consistently crashing. It's just buggy software....

Pretty sad that you have to disable to local cache for the product to function properly.
2017-8-14
Use props
Fistworthy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1613953 ft
Australia

jlm1951 Posted at 2017-8-14 08:23
ok

That's also the only problem I've had with my 7.8", occasionally when I start it will stay 'disconnected' until I unplug and replug the cable. I'm using the Evo3D mount with my own type-C cable and I've found that they're not all created equal, some fit the CS input more tightly and it seems to happen less with those.

2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

PimpDawg, we have been aware of this problem and will get it fixed in next firmware, which will be release very soon.
We are deeply sorry for the trouble that has been caused, please wait patiently.
2017-8-15
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-15 02:12
PimpDawg, we have been aware of this problem and will get it fixed in next firmware, which will be release very soon.
We are deeply sorry for the trouble that has been caused, please wait patiently.

Thank you.
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jlm1951 Posted at 2017-8-14 08:23
ok

jIm, sorry for the experience with our product, this issue will get fixed in next firmware release, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-15
Use props
NFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 372533 ft
Portugal

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-15 19:42
jIm, sorry for the experience with our product, this issue will get fixed in next firmware release, appreciate your patience.

Any estimated date to launch the new firmware release?
2017-8-16
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

NFC Posted at 2017-8-16 13:32

Anyone know where the CS FW is located, I have searched

DJI official website/Click "Support"/Click "Product Support"/Click "Professional"/Click"CrystalSky"/Click"Software Features" and all I get is a FAQ page??

If someone could provide a link it will be much appreciated.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-16 15:55
Anyone know where the CS FW is located, I have searched

DJI official website/Click "Support"/Click "Product Support"/Click "Professional"/Click"CrystalSky"/Click"Software Features" and all I get is a FAQ page??

http://www.dji.com/crystalsky/info#downloads
Here is the link of CrystalSky firmware release note.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

NFC Posted at 2017-8-16 13:32

The new firmware will be released recently, please wait patiently, thanks.
2017-8-17
Use props
Matman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I hope the new version fixes the problem where trying to move files to a USB thumb drive using the explorer just fails and deletes your files.

Everything I shot this weekend is now deleted from the SD cards,
2017-9-5
Use props
fansf78a6b80
lvl.1
United States

My CS 5.5 never worked right straight out of the box. Refreshed numerous times, blah, blah, blah, still had the same issues. Sent it in for repair early August and I keep being told to be patient. Today is now September 12 and still nothing. DJI makes good products, but unfortunately their after sales support leaves little to be desired. With this type of support, I can see the competition easily catching them and surpassing them in innovation and happy customers.
2017-9-12
Use props
Mountaindrone
Captain
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

my 5.5 works perfectly from the august 11th update
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

fansf78a6b80 Posted at 2017-9-12 17:56
My CS 5.5 never worked right straight out of the box. Refreshed numerous times, blah, blah, blah, still had the same issues. Sent it in for repair early August and I keep being told to be patient. Today is now September 12 and still nothing. DJI makes good products, but unfortunately their after sales support leaves little to be desired. With this type of support, I can see the competition easily catching them and surpassing them in innovation and happy customers.

Firmware updates usually will resolve many of the problems you are having. What are you experiencing at this time?
2017-9-13
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fansf78a6b80 Posted at 2017-9-12 17:56

"... I can see the competition easily catching them and surpassing them in innovation and happy customers ..."

Oh, that's great news, thank you!!! Who??? Where??? Links??? Tell us, pleeeeez!!!!!
2017-9-13
Use props
Funkmaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70774 ft
Barbados

I am using the Dji CS mount on my Phantom 4 Pro and i get constant disconnects on my 7.85" CS.  I can fly all day with my iPad Air 2 but can't manage 2 minutes with this Crystalsky.  I'm using the latest firmware on both devices and yes before you ask I have reset the CS by going into the settings several times.  I have even tried using a USB-C and bypassing the mount and still having the disconnects.  Fortunately I was able to safely fly the drone back home as I was in line of sight.  Really need some help with this problem as I have invested in this device and mounts for all my drones!!!
2017-11-26
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
First Officer
United States

Funkmaster Posted at 2017-11-26 12:05
I am using the Dji CS mount on my Phantom 4 Pro and i get constant disconnects on my 7.85" CS.  I can fly all day with my iPad Air 2 but can't manage 2 minutes with this Crystalsky.  I'm using the latest firmware on both devices and yes before you ask I have reset the CS by going into the settings several times.  I have even tried using a USB-C and bypassing the mount and still having the disconnects.  Fortunately I was able to safely fly the drone back home as I was in line of sight.  Really need some help with this problem as I have invested in this device and mounts for all my drones!!!

I had a similar experience again this weekend. My CS screen froze up and was completely unresponsive. The screen eventually went black and the device would not power on or do anything and I had to pull the battery. Meanwhile my Mavic was in the air across a river and I had to bring it in without a screen.

Since DJI always says "please provide a video of the incident" I grabbed my phone and recorded it so I'll make another thread and post my video. CrystalSky is so completely unreliable and flaky. My iOS device never crashed once. You'd think this custom Android platform would be stable since it is supposedly "optimized for DJI".....rubbish. I am seriously considering selling my CS and staying with iOS.
2017-11-27
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I ran into that behaviour a few times, so when i fly with CS, i always reboot CS prior takeoff. That helped me staying out of trouble while my DJI aircraft are in the air... So i prefer to fly with my IPad whenever possible.
2017-11-27
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
First Officer
United States

Keule Posted at 2017-11-27 11:00
I ran into that behaviour a few times, so when i fly with CS, i always reboot CS prior takeoff. That helped me staying out of trouble while my DJI aircraft are in the air... So i prefer to fly with my IPad whenever possible.

I'm glad that workaround works for yours.... not for mine though. My CS was just powered on before the incident. I've had other times where I was able to reboot it when it malfunctioned mid-flight and regain my screen view. This time it was the entire CS that froze up, not just the GO app. Not happy.
2017-11-27
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3
Flight distance : 455312 ft

Well I have a brand new, just out of the box CS, and my recordings randomly shut off on their own when I use this piece of garbage. Tried it with several SD cards, and they all do the same thing. Works fine with my ipad, and iPhone. Going to box it up and send it back if I can't get this resolved by the end of this weekend. This is the type of thing we have to put up with when a company dominates a market, and starts losing control over quality. And this is 4 months after the last lost in this thread.
2018-4-19
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3

Should have added that I updated to the latest firmware, and I get the same behavior from 2 different P3P systems.
2018-4-19
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-8-14 07:58
As I stated in my post, my CS is on the latest firmware (v02.02.08.01). Updated as soon as I took it out of the box. When I have it check for updates it says it's on the latest. If there is a newer one please advise.

WiFi is not on when I fly, never has been.

Latest "CRYSTALSKY UPDATE", is v2.6.3.0 it has a glitch though so don't download yet. DJI should be coming out with a fix shortly.
2018-4-19
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3

TomWolves Posted at 2018-4-19 09:26
Latest "CRYSTALSKY UPDATE", is v2.6.3.0 it has a glitch though so don't download yet. DJI should be coming out with a fix shortly.

What glitch? I already installed it.
2018-4-19
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3

Just wanted to update my post, on the chance that this information may help someone struggling with the same issue I was having, where the video recording would stop by itself. I was trying everything I could think of. Finally I tried "reset camera" from the app. This seems to have resolved my issue. It is now recording as it should. The only setting I ever recall changing was changing from .mov to .mpg. Funny that the iPad had no issue with the camera set as it was before I reset it.

I guess it could be that the CS has an issue recording .mpg. I'm just glad it's working, I really wanted to keep it.
2018-4-19
Use props
Elettrone78
Captain
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I hardly have any issue with my CS 5.5", guess it's pretty case sensitive....even tho I don't understand why.
2018-4-19
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
First Officer
United States

I rarely even use my CS any more. It has frustrated me too often and left my drone in dangerous situations with it freezing up mid-flight. When I say freezing up it is the entire CS device, not the GO app. So I typically just use my iPhone especially since it allows me to use pano mode. A DJI rep responded to me in one of my posts (you can look for it on here) saying that they're aware of the issue and it'd be addressed in the next firmware update. Well that next firmware update did not solve it. Then they just stopped responding to me....

There are tons of reports of problems associated with Android based tablets used with DJI drones but hardly any with iOS.

I think the CS hardware is good but perhaps the software is lacking refinement. I'll probably just end up selling mine.
2018-4-19
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer
United States

dmiles Posted at 2018-4-19 10:22
Just wanted to update my post, on the chance that this information may help someone struggling with the same issue I was having, where the video recording would stop by itself. I was trying everything I could think of. Finally I tried "reset camera" from the app. This seems to have resolved my issue. It is now recording as it should. The only setting I ever recall changing was changing from .mov to .mpg. Funny that the iPad had no issue with the camera set as it was before I reset it.

I guess it could be that the CS has an issue recording .mpg. I'm just glad it's working, I really wanted to keep it.

No not at all, I am referring to the "Flight Log" , If you updated your CrystalSky to 2.6.3.0  check your flight log in the GO 4 App see if it recorded your flight.

2018-4-19
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-4-19 13:41
I rarely even use my CS any more. It has frustrated me too often and left my drone in dangerous situations with it freezing up mid-flight. When I say freezing up it is the entire CS device, not the GO app. So I typically just use my iPhone especially since it allows me to use pano mode. A DJI rep responded to me in one of my posts (you can look for it on here) saying that they're aware of the issue and it'd be addressed in the next firmware update. Well that next firmware update did not solve it. Then they just stopped responding to me....

There are tons of reports of problems associated with Android based tablets used with DJI drones but hardly any with iOS.

You shouldn't give up so easily on the issue. the CrystalSky cost a lot of hard working money. The wheel that squeaks the loudest, gets oiled the most. i have Pano on my CrystalSky too!
2018-4-19
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
First Officer

TomWolves Posted at 2018-4-19 16:33
You shouldn't give up so easily on the issue. the CrystalSky cost a lot of hard working money. The wheel that squeaks the loudest, gets oiled the most. i have Pano on my CrystalSky too!

I wouldn't exactly say I'm *easily* giving up on the issue. I've worked with DJI over several months, multiple firmwares, provided multiple videos of proof, provided every log file available that they have asked for, yet the issue persists and DJI has gone silent about it. It simply isn't a reliable platform for me. This isn't me trying to bash on DJI, it is simply my personal experience with the device.

Perhaps I just got a lemon... but DJI has yet to offer to replace it, just gone silent.
2018-4-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-4-19 13:41
I rarely even use my CS any more. It has frustrated me too often and left my drone in dangerous situations with it freezing up mid-flight. When I say freezing up it is the entire CS device, not the GO app. So I typically just use my iPhone especially since it allows me to use pano mode. A DJI rep responded to me in one of my posts (you can look for it on here) saying that they're aware of the issue and it'd be addressed in the next firmware update. Well that next firmware update did not solve it. Then they just stopped responding to me....

It has frustrated me too often and left my drone in dangerous situations  with it freezing up mid-flight. When I say freezing up it is the entire  CS device

That was problem I had with my first CrystalSky 7" Ultra-bright.   It would freeze or hang or lock-up (pick your favorite term).
After all you have done with working with DJI, they need to replace yours with a new one.

2018-4-19
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer
United States

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2018-4-19 17:00
I wouldn't exactly say I'm *easily* giving up on the issue. I've worked with DJI over several months, multiple firmwares, provided multiple videos of proof, provided every log file available that they have asked for, yet the issue persists and DJI has gone silent about it. It simply isn't a reliable platform for me. This isn't me trying to bash on DJI, it is simply my personal experience with the device.

Perhaps I just got a lemon... but DJI has yet to offer to replace it, just gone silent.

Yes I understand, they keep telling me to do this and do that, nothing works and wasting a lot of my time. They should just say " we will replace it", at least for your anyway. For my issue DJI should admit there is a glitch. At least that way customers are aware there is a issue with the FIRMWARE UPDATES and won't update until the issue of what is causing the problem is fixed.
2018-4-20
Use props
dmiles
lvl.3

TomWolves Posted at 2018-4-19 16:26
No not at all, I am referring to the "Flight Log" , If you updated your CrystalSky to 2.6.3.0  check your flight log in the GO 4 App see if it recorded your flight.
[view_image]

OK, I see what you are saying. Yes I did update, and no it is not recording my flights.
2018-4-21
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer
United States

dmiles Posted at 2018-4-21 16:36
OK, I see what you are saying. Yes I did update, and no it is not recording my flights.

I was told they are coming out with a fix on the next update.
2018-4-22
Use props
Collywog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124032 ft
Ireland

Had my crystalsky for months it’s the worst monitor I can use for my ma and p4p v2. It’s a dedicated DJI product for flying their drones, it should be the first thing updated (iPhone already updated for Mavic 2 no update yet for crystalsky had to wait for the ma update as well) every time not the last. Updates have fixed no problems for me so far. I even have the picture breaking up so I can’t see it while my drone is about 20 feet away and that’s when it’s not crashing or freezing. Editing on it just leaves me with an unusable laggy clip even just cutting a small clip out of the footage. Too many problems to mention on here but they are all online there for people to read and DJI know about them and have done nothing about it. Which is why I’m in the process of getting an iPad for my drones as I have never had one problem when I was using my iPhone. I just wanted a brighter screen and I got it, along with enough problems to make it a waste of money or put you off flying the drones with it. I don’t understand how the drones can be so good and their dedicated monitor for flying them so rubbish.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules