Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I lost my Dji Spark :( Please help me dji
2229 34 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210 ft
Sweden

Hi,

I was flying with my DJI Spark today with Remote Controller in sports mode, I was on a big balcony high up on the house so I had a good view I was about 1,000 meters away at an altitude of about 90 meters in the air, I Had weak signal in the meter indicator and i do not remember how much battery i had, maybe approx. 60% so I turned around and started flying against me, after a few seconds my DJI GO 4 app crashed, I started DJI GO 4 again but never got back in touch with DJI Spark. At this point I could not see drone. So I was waiting for Return Home to be activated and waiting for DJI Spark to come back, but it never came back :

It has happened 2-3 times before the app crashed, but then I started DJI 4 GO and got a connection with drone. I have purchased a dedicated phone for drone just because I want a larger screen so I have no other apps set up on the phone.

Before I started flying with drone, I've always checked that the battery is sitting properly, and I have good GPS reception and set Home Point.

During today's flight, I had a warning about the wind, but nothing else. It did not feel like it blew a lot.

I knew about where the drone was when the app crashed, I went there and searched for 3 hours but I did not find drone

Now I came home and read here on the forum that you can download FlightRecord logs and DJI_RECORD cached videos from the phone, I connected the phone to computer, but in the FlightRecord folder there were no files, tested restart the phone and tested connect and unplug the phone several times and finally I used file manager from the phone and then I could see the log file when I tried to send the log file to my external memory card on the phone, I received the message "ERROR reading file" after 20 minutes of attempt I could copy file in the FlightRecord folder and the video file in DJI_RECORD to the memory card and then copy to the computer. When I test and watch the cached video file, nothing happens but the FlightRecord file contains strange text.

Please help me Dji, what should I do now?

I have now uploaded the files here that can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gv7sr ... 5-19-54%5D.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9ky30 ... 4_15_19_56.mp4?dl=0

Forgive for my english, I use googla translate

2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This doesn't help your case much, but be advised that winds can vary at different altitudes.  What you feel may not be as significant as winds above you at 100 meters.

And maybe something helpful:  I know you are trying to get your flight records from your phone, but the app has a way of visually seeing your flight records that you might want to try.  Below is an icon which in English is labeled "me".  And then there's an option called "Flight Record".  At the bottom is a "flight list", which can be expanded to show your flights, but (at least on my phone) shows the most recent flight.  If you click on your flight log row, you have options to "play back" your flight.  You can then observe where your craft was and what it was doing up until the app crashed.

That's presuming that the flight records are in fact present on your phone some place.  This might help you to look for your craft.
2017-8-14
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

But if the battery goes down the yellow line, the drone returns home alone ... dji go 4 or not, he has to go home. something is wrong

2017-8-14
Use props
Haris
lvl.1
Sweden

Thanks four your help!
After I start DJI GO 4 app , I could not see any flight logs at all in the DJI GO 4 app flight list, tested several times and then crashed the app again, but under "Find my drone" I could see the last post of drone, and it was around where I was looking for my drone.

2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-8-14 10:48
But if the battery goes down the yellow line, the drone returns home alone ... dji go 4 or not, he has to go home. something is wrong

I don't disagree.  Just wanted everyone to know that wind speed at ground level can be deceptive.

I concur, drone should have returned home.  My hope is that it was TRYING to return home when something failed.  If he can see the visual playback of the flightlogs, he can narrow down the places to start looking (and search towards "home").
2017-8-14
Use props
Haris
lvl.1
Sweden

Yes something is worg, I've been to once before that I've lost contact and drone returned to Home positions, that was what I was expecting this time too, but I waited 15 minutes but it did not come back, I asked my friend to stay there while I went to look for drone
2017-8-14
Use props
Haris
lvl.1
Sweden

I tested and upload flight data to this website:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/UJ7HRCF3PU17Q2ZTBROL/

2017-8-14
Use props
lucsvette
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry to hear you lost your spark, flight plan might help you figure out where it was last seen.
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Haris Posted at 2017-8-14 10:56
I tested and upload flight data to this website:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/UJ7HRCF3PU17Q2ZTBROL/

I can tell from the flight log that you made a variety of bold choices that I would not have made.  But we each fly based on risks we are willing to take, and I'm super cautious.

Between where you had last contact with your drone and your apartment, I see a variety of possible obstructions.  You were at a good height when the app crashed (and you lost contact).

There are a couple of observations that may help you find your craft:

1.  When you were in contact, you were in sport mode (which disables obstacle avoidance).  My interpretation of the manual is that when the craft goes into RTH mode, obstacle avoidance is activated.  I've never tested what happens when in sport mode and auto RTH is engaged, so this may not be right, but that's how I read it in the manual.
2.  Page 15 of the manual covers how the craft behaves as it is avoiding obstacles when returning to home.  Understanding this behavior may help you to find your craft.
2017-8-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why dont u use the app and go into "find my drone" then when u get close to coordinates sound off esc's....charles adams rth only uses obstacle avoidance within 100 m of home point not sure if it will do it while sport mode is on but I do know return to home works on any mode
2017-8-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

See here.....
Screenshot_20170814-154445.png
20170814_154530.png
Screenshot_20170814-154427.jpg
2017-8-14
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Italy

GPS Position NoMatch?? no signal GPS?
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yep Jimmy Hoffa, I found it in the manual.  The RTH Obstacle Avoidance procedures would not have activated (which goes to show you how frequently you can read the manual and not absorb the information, particularly if "you" is "me").

I don't know that the "find my drone" will work for him because the app crashed during flight.

I am trying to derive what the craft behavior would have been, and these are circumstances I've not tested myself.  Once signal was lost OR power level was low, it would have initiated RTH.  Since he was at some height, I don't think it would have descended to RTH altitude, I think it only "ascends" if flying lower.  It would have made an effort to return to home point.  IF it found an obstacle on the way...  I don't know.  I think it would have stopped and waited, until battery was critically low, and it would have then attempted to land in that spot.
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Where are you buried?
2017-8-14
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Italy

If you open app after, can not determine where it has fallen?

Does not make sense then .. that option is only when the drone falls for human error and the signal is still present?

ridiculous.
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-8-14 12:16
If you open app after, can not determine where it has fallen?

Does not make sense then .. that option is only when the drone falls for human error and the signal is still present?

I think that if the user re-establishes connection it works as expected.  I think that if you lost connection and didn't re-establish in time that's when you won't be able to count on it.
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-14 12:27
I think that if the user re-establishes connection it works as expected.  I think that if you lost connection and didn't re-establish in time that's when you won't be able to count on it.

To clarify:  I think this is a report of where the app last knew the spark to be.  Not where it "is", but where it "was" when app last "saw" it.
2017-8-14
Use props
JMR58
Captain
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

...just thinking, if you started from a building balcony there is a lot of steel worked inside the concrete or construction.
This can confuse the Sparks compass and so come back to a "wrong" homepoint??
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JMR58 Posted at 2017-8-14 12:29
...just thinking, if you started from a building balcony there is a lot of steel worked inside the concrete or construction.
This can confuse the Sparks compass and so come back to a "wrong" homepoint??

Maybe, but I think the spark is good at detecting when it's confused.  Based on my experience and other forum posts, it either has a good lock or it tells you if it doesn't.

I think starting from the last known spot and working back is a good approach.  Hopefully he flew where he has such access.
2017-8-14
Use props
Logan09870
lvl.1
Portugal

Hey Haris,

What phone were you using to connect to your RC? If it was an android that could contribute to your spark going rogue. Apple devices work much better with the DJI Go 4 app, it doesn't crash from my experience. (I use an iPad mini 2)
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Logan09870 Posted at 2017-8-14 13:15
Hey Haris,

What phone were you using to connect to your RC? If it was an android that could contribute to your spark going rogue. Apple devices work much better with the DJI Go 4 app, it doesn't crash from my experience. (I use an iPad mini 2)

Amen to that (says the android owner).
2017-8-14
Use props
Haris
lvl.1
Sweden

It's so hard when you can not speak English and answer all questions so well.

I flew high just because if I were to drop the signal, buildings around are not so high would guess that the highest can be 10-15 meters.

I have an iPhone 7, but I bought a used Samsung S5 because it had a bit wider screen and I thought I could always have the fully charged phone, and not use my iPhone 7.

I saw a blog on youtube that the best is and have a dedicated phone to reduce problems.

I looked at weather data before and it blew 2-4 m / s the time I flew.

I suspect it might be wrong with my phone too, because I could see some files in the DJA folder but it's barely I could copy some, so now I have tested and factory reset my phone and tried to reinstall the DJO GO 4 app and now it seems More stable, I can now copy the entire DJI folder to the external memory card, tested and create the FlightRecord folder copy back the file DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-14_ [15-19-54] .txt to see if I can see my Flight log in the app itself so That I can sync it to DJI, but Flight Log does not appear in the app: /

I had set home return height at 100m.

I'll look again tomorrow and hope I can find drone, because as I've understood it from you, chances are little that DJI will help me in any way: /
2017-8-14
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

This flight was destined for failure.  Start with the balcony take-off and judging by the area you were flying in I assume it was congested with WIFI interference.  I'll"sty tuned" for the outcome of this.
2017-8-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles adams.....ill never tell lol teamsters wouldnt like that
2017-8-14
Use props
nucmanchh
Second Officer
United States

Personally. I would never take off from a balcony. Big mistake
2017-8-14
Use props
Logan09870
lvl.1
Australia

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-14 13:25
Amen to that (says the android owner).

Seriously? I try to help this poor person and you make fun of me? Android actually doesn't work too well, (because there are so many updates and versions). I didn't say that it is the direct cause of the crash, I just said it could be a part of all the disconnections.
2017-8-14
Use props
Logan09870
lvl.1
Australia

Haris Posted at 2017-8-14 14:22
It's so hard when you can not speak English and answer all questions so well.

I flew high just because if I were to drop the signal, buildings around are not so high would guess that the highest can be 10-15 meters.

If you use an OTG cable it reduces disconnections by a lot too. I use one and I have not had any problems
2017-8-14
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Logan09870 Posted at 2017-8-14 18:29
Seriously? I try to help this poor person and you make fun of me? Android actually doesn't work too well, (because there are so many updates and versions). I didn't say that it is the direct cause of the crash, I just said it could be a part of all the disconnections.

I am not making fun of you.  I'm agreeing with you.  I own the android, and I know how frequently it crashes.  I value the stability of the iphone
2017-8-14
Use props
Zviratko
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1401 ft
Czechia

What was your RTH altitude?
I always wondered how that one (and altitude limit when set) are calculated. What if I'm in my office and decide to fly out of my window that's 30m high but the max altitude is set to 20? Will I even be able to fly so "high" again?
And what about RTH altitude? Is it 30m relative to ground or takeoff? And how can it even know that takeoff point is much higher than "ground"? It won't have a very good GPS connection on a balcony anyway, so if it were to return somewhere, my guess would be a lower floor...

Btw one unfortunate diffence between Spark and other (especially simpler/Arduino based/dumber) drones is that Spark absolutely eats battery. It won't stay powered on for long even when the motors are off...
2017-8-14
Use props
Indi91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103973 ft

Could it be any hope if it somehow landed on the roof of the place? Means RTH success but it landed somewhere there?
Like others said, suggested to trace from the point you lost contact, straight back to your place. Hopefully no one else had found it. Ive also seen some people put up posters and reward for it.
I really do wish you get ur Spark back.
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the Support to start a case? I would recommend you send the flight records .txt file and the cached video to the Support, they'll submit a data analysis for you. You can refer to this link to contact the Support:  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-14
Use props
Logan09870
lvl.1
Portugal

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-14 19:12
I am not making fun of you.  I'm agreeing with you.  I own the android, and I know how frequently it crashes.  I value the stability of the iphone

Ok... Sorry then. I have an android, I just don't use it with my spark. They are nice phones. The app is just really bad on android.
2017-8-14
Use props
Haris
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-14 22:13
Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the Support to start a case? I would recommend you send the flight records .txt file and the cached video to the Support, they'll submit a data analysis for you. You can refer to this link to contact the Support:  http://www.dji.com/support

Thanks for your help. Now I have contacted the support.

Regards Haris
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Haris Posted at 2017-8-15 00:21
Thanks for your help. Now I have contacted the support.

Regards Haris

You are welcome, hope it can be sorted out shortly, should you have any further questions about this case, please provide us with your case number, we'd like to check it for you.
2017-8-15
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Logan09870 Posted at 2017-8-14 23:18
Ok... Sorry then. I have an android, I just don't use it with my spark. They are nice phones. The app is just really bad on android.

Agreed, but I think that's more the android than the app.  I like both platforms (android and apple), but each has strengths and weaknesses.  Apple is solid, well tested, hardly ever crashes.  But users are a bit restricted (unless they jailbreak).  Androids are a little more open, free, more like a computer.  And because of that, they crash a lot more like a computer, and are less stable.
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules