First flight with new P4P
781 13 2017-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hgv trucker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi All I took the plunge and had a go at my first flight on Sunday with my new P4P .... After first setting the drone and controller up and doing the 'up-grade' that the DJI GO 4 prompted me to do App.V 4.1.5 - aircraft v 01.04.0602 - remote 01.04.01.00 .All went VERY well on the first flight having 'set' the drone to 'beginer' mode..and I was amazed at how easy it was to control after sliding the 'take off' button over,it hovered VERY stable and was doing everything I was telling it.I even managed to take some video too...HOWEVER the one thing I have noticed is that 'only' the front and back 'sensor' bar's are showing and NOT the 'side sensors' !!! Can anybody shine some light on this as I would like to know 'HOW' too get them showing up on the I-pad mini 4 Screen.
Many thanks ( one happy novice drone pilot )

2017-8-14
Use props
Cinefilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Side sensors are only available on BEGINNER MODE and TRIPOD MODE. Be carefull and will be a good idea to take a look at the tutorial videos on dji's website.
2017-8-14
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Like Cinefilms says, only in Beginner and Tripod modes.   Once you get comfortable with the manual controls, start watching the YouTube videos that teach the other features.  I just started flying too, and each day I would watch one video, say the "Point of Reference" feature, and practice one new feature each time I fly.  It's been a month now for me, and I feel very knowledgeable now about all that the P4P can do.  Have fun!
2017-8-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You said you were in BEGINNER MODE correct? Then make sure you have enough bright light and objects beginner than wire and branches other wise it won't recognize them.
2017-8-14
Use props
hgv trucker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.dronist..Yes I am in beginner mode and although I was flying in an open feild (good light) when I tried to fly towards a thick hedge sideways it would NOT show the side sensors up (only the front and back !
2017-8-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

hgv trucker Posted at 2017-8-14 21:17
Hi.dronist..Yes I am in beginner mode and although I was flying in an open feild (good light) when I tried to fly towards a thick hedge sideways it would NOT show the side sensors up (only the front and back !

The side sensors are not really all that effective anyway. Please, do not rely on obstacle avoidance whether it be forwards, backwards or to the side. It is not infallible, and may cause tears.
2017-8-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

hgv trucker Posted at 2017-8-14 21:17

Aloha trucker,

Besides Geebax  useful words of wisdom, as well as others in this thread, the side sensors are a different type than the front, bottom and back.  The side sensors give you a text feedback.

Be sure to look into "Narrow Sensing" for the Tripod option.  There is a video on it at the P4 Pro page.  But think of Narrow Sensing as a door opener rather than as an object avoidance system.  You still have to fly the Phantom through any opening you create.  It is a very useful tool but you always have to control your bird.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Like replies provided above, side sensors are only available on Beginner Mode and Tripod Mode, it will not show on the app, only when the side sensor detects the obstacle, warnings will pop up on the app.
2017-8-15
Use props
hgv trucker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi All..Many thanks for your reply and after looking into Cetacean / DJI Thor I have tried again today to fly in back back garden and sure enough those side bar's did begin to show up and so I tried to fly firstly into my thick hedge and the into the fence on the other side of my garden.Then towards the shed and back towards the house !! In EVERY case the drone refused to get too close to any of these object's PERFECT I Hope to be able to do further test later But I dought if I shall try out this guy's trick's just yet Many thanks to all again...
2017-8-15
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I sense an accident waiting to happen. Relying on any obstacle sensor is frivolous imho. Have fun and best of luck.
2017-8-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

The two times I whacked tree branches was using an Intelligent flight mode with the sensors on and Return to Home. I've never used them since. It's taken some practice but I do everything manually. It's nice that there are sensors for backup and hopefully they will be there if needed. But I do not rely on them and fly almost always in P-Mode but manual control since about the 3rd time I went out. Do what YOU are comfortable with.
2017-8-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

Oh, did I mention the P4P in the Lake because of one tiny branch in the cold of April and $1399 later that a sensor didn't see? I think I forgot that part. I try to forget it. ;)
2017-8-15
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

I agree that you must not rely on that sensors.
Two weeks ago I crashet ma P4P. I was in the open field and the only tree was behind me. For a moment I was blinded by the sun and there you are - I heard the propellers beating the branches.
I learned thet you must not relay on the predicted position if you can't see the drone. It would be somewhere else for sure.
I heard just a beep sound and less than a second after it hited the tree. Under the tree there was a lot of soft grass so it only bended one landing leg, but one of the two compasses didnt work. I think both are in the legs. For $200 I got the new Phantom from DJI after ten days.
2017-11-27
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P4P is an amazing Aircraft. Glad you are happy and welcome aboard.
2017-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules