Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ernet-data-transfer

DJI Develops Option For Pilots To Fly Without Internet Data Transfer
New Local Data Mode Provides Enhanced Data Privacy Assurances

August 14, 2017 – DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, is developing a new local data mode that stops internet traffic to and from its flight control apps, in order to provide enhanced data privacy assurances for sensitive government and enterprise customers.

DJI’s flight control apps routinely communicate over the internet to ensure a drone has the most relevant local maps and geofencing data, latest app versions, correct radio frequency and power requirements, and other information that enhances flight safety and functionality. When a pilot enables local data mode, DJI apps will stop sending or receiving any data over the internet, giving customers enhanced assurances about the privacy of data generated during their flights.

“We are creating local data mode to address the needs of our enterprise customers, including public and private organizations that are using DJI technology to perform sensitive operations around the world,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs. “DJI is committed to protecting the privacy of its customers’ photos, videos and flight logs. Local data mode will provide added assurances for customers with heightened data security needs.”

Because it blocks all internet data, use of local data mode means DJI apps will not update maps or geofencing information, will not notify pilots of newly-issued flight restrictions or software updates, and may result in other performance limitations. However, it will provide an enhanced level of data assurance for sensitive flights, such as those involving critical infrastructure, commercial trade secrets, governmental functions or other similar operations.

“We are pleased about how rapidly DJI’s customer base has expanded from hobbyists and personal drone pilots to include professional, commercial, government and educational users,” said Victor Wang, DJI Director of Safety Technology. “As more of these customers have asked for additional assurances about how their data is handled, DJI has moved to address their needs by developing local data mode to provide enhanced data management options for customers who want to use them.”

DJI recognizes the importance of data privacy to its customers. DJI does not collect or have access to user flight logs, photos or videos unless the user chooses to share those by syncing flight logs with DJI servers, uploading photos or videos to DJI’s SkyPixel website, or physically delivering the drone to DJI for service.

DJI publicly committed to protecting its customers’ data privacy in April 2016. In a March 2017 white paper, DJI became the first major drone manufacturer to advocate for protecting the privacy of drone users as the United States and European governments develop regulations to monitor drone flights. No other civilian drone manufacturer there has been as vocal as DJI in protecting the operational and data privacy interests of drone users.

“Local data mode will allow customers to get the most out of their DJI flight control apps while providing added assurance that critical data is not inadvertently transmitted over the internet,” Schulman said. “We are pleased to be able to develop local data mode as part of our drive to serve our customers’ needs as well as advocate for their interests.”

Local data mode has been in development for several months and will be included in future versions of DJI apps, starting in the next several weeks. DJI’s apps include DJI GO, DJI GO 4, DJI XT Pro, DJI Pilot and Ground Station Pro, which run on smartphones and tablets that control the drone or connect to the drone’s remote control unit. The local data mode feature may not be available in locations where an internet connection is required or highly advisable due to local regulations or requirements.

2017-8-14
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

Will there be a list or website that allows us to see these "locations where an internet connection is required or highly advisable due to local regulations or requirements." ??
2017-8-15
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

I don't get it.

If DJI only has data that is generated during the flight because the app/drone is requesting updates on maps or NFZ, this could be easily solved by turning on "flight mode". And if it is easy as that, it should not require much development time and it should not be worth an official announcement. As I said, I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain me, why this is such a big issue?
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

RCkable5 Posted at 2017-8-15 17:38
Will there be a list or website that allows us to see these "locations where an internet connection is required or highly advisable due to local regulations or requirements." ??

That is a great suggestion. I am unsure whether or not this is going to be released alongside the new setting, but it is still being developed and I will push this advice forward if it hasn't already been suggested.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-8-16 00:46
I don't get it.

If DJI only has data that is generated during the flight because the app/drone is requesting updates on maps or NFZ, this could be easily solved by turning on "flight mode". And if it is easy as that, it should not require much development time and it should not be worth an official announcement. As I said, I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain me, why this is such a big issue?

Flight mode would stop all cellular and mobile traffic from reaching the phone and not just limit the functions of OUR app. This setting will allow people to keep their sensitive flight data unsynced with DJI while retaining all the same functionality of their device not involved with DJI GO 4.
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-8-16 00:46
I don't get it.

This is probably in response to the US military ban on DJI drones.  That's just my supposition.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-16 08:55
This is probably in response to the US military ban on DJI drones.  That's just my supposition.

We were already working on this setting long before the sudden announcement.
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-16 09:05
We were already working on this setting long before the sudden announcement.

I didn't express myself very well.  I think that the "announcement" may have been intended as a response to the US military concerns.  I'm sure that this software feature has been in the works.  I bet many more software features are in progress as well
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-16 09:07
I didn't express myself very well.  I think that the "announcement" may have been intended as a response to the US military concerns.  I'm sure that this software feature has been in the works.  I bet many more software features are in progress as well

I see what you're saying, but the announcement was in response to the fact that the memo caused customers to express renewed concern about data security. We do not design our products for military use and do not design our software specifically for the military either.  
2017-8-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji have to be commended for this, it goes a long way to insuring those who had genuine concern regarding privacy of their data. It also shows that dji listens to their customers and they are a company who values their customers opinions and privacy.

Being proactive is something dji don't have a problem with. Good Job..
2017-8-16
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I am very appreciative to hear of these changes and the increased focus on improved privacy through customer choice and control.
I will remain cautiously optimistic that it will turn out to be exactly what is being described.  I hope that when it is finely released that it will completely put to rest many of the concerns currently expressed and restore the broken trust many have with the company over this issue.  While total privacy in this modern era is nearly impossible, it is valued nonetheless and having the ability to protect it makes it even more valuable.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

法轮功 Posted at 2017-8-16 10:25
Actually... this is smoke and mirrors in the face of "Hot Patching" technology that they can not explain the presence of... DJI Cake Playground completely puts this privacy statement in direct conflict with what DJI is saying to us all.

I've been told both Android and iOS GO apps will have this functionality removed in the next release.
2017-8-16
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Same here, will take a wait and see until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt. I think DJI should start by STOPPING this mandatory re-registration for existing customers to show a good gesture and to rebuilt trust.
2017-8-16
Use props
LOK0_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184032 ft
United States

So in layman's term is DJI spying on the user and selling the information to 3rd party, not sure but that what im reading from the reply's .hmm  so is this China version Of America NSA  via DJI ?. is that why the US military stop using DJI equipment......
2017-8-16
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-8-16 08:38
Flight mode would stop all cellular and mobile traffic from reaching the phone and not just limit the functions of OUR app. This setting will allow people to keep their sensitive flight data unsynced with DJI while retaining all the same functionality of their device not involved with DJI GO 4.

I understand the difference. But if users are really concerned about their private data, they will accept that their entire device is offline during the flight. During the flight, everyone should be focused at flying anyway. I do not see a benefit for implementing this into the app and make a huge announcement.

If you introduced automatic panoramic shots or automatic photo stitching, a time lapse feature, better quality for 1080p recordings, or horizon without tilt during flight, that would be worth an announcement. But an offline button?
2017-8-16
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Dronoob Posted at 2017-8-16 22:44
I understand the difference. But if users are really concerned about their private data, they will accept that their entire device is offline during the flight. During the flight, everyone should be focused at flying anyway. I do not see a benefit for implementing this into the app and make a huge announcement.

If you introduced automatic panoramic shots or automatic photo stitching, a time lapse feature, better quality for 1080p recordings, or horizon without tilt during flight, that would be worth an announcement. But an offline button?

Very well put
2017-8-18
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

法轮功 Posted at 2017-8-16 15:57
Unfortunately none of that speaks to why it was there in the first place... the initial response was "we don't know"... either your development staff is under control, or they aren't.

I'd love you guys to prove you had the ability to audit and tell when this mechanism was used vs. simply claiming it was not.

Why is the link downloading a file to my computer instead of opening a link to a webpage or image???
2017-8-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

法轮功 Posted at 2017-8-16 10:22
were you also by chance also already working to remove Tencent Tinker / JSPatch / JSPlayground and DJI Cake Playground hot patching mechanisms? How about the rest of the Tencent "User Tracking" libraries baked into the code such at Bugly and jpush?

[view_image]

I wish I had a clue about what it is you are pointing out, however, I have heard about Tinker and what it does so I'm not in complete darkness.  From the sound of things, these other items (read code) are just as big of a concern with respect to privacy etc.  Therefore, I really must ask, can you put all of this in layman terms, please?  What is cake?  What is Playground?  More importantly, what does it all really mean?  I think it was interesting that the reps seemed kicked back on their heels about the data you are bringing to light, that speaks volumes too.  Thank you, I appreciate your work on this, please keep it up...you can't have clarity without shining some light on it.
2017-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules