Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/ ... ne-security-privacy

Local data mode will allow customers to get the most out of their DJI flight control apps while providing added assurance that critical data is not inadvertently transmitted over the internet,” said Brendan Schulman, DJI vice president of policy and legal affairs. “DJI is committed to protecting the privacy of its customers’ photos, videos and flight logs. Local data mode will provide added assurances for customers with heightened data security needs.”
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Thread closed for straying off-topic and getting personal. Feel free to post in the dedicated thread on this topic here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-108984-1-1.html
2017-8-18
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And a second source https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-drones-dji-idUSKCN1AU294

One interesting point though :-

"Schulman said DJI plans to make updates to its controller applications available by the end of September, earlier than previously planned. The new apps with local data mode may not be available in all countries if there are regulations that require pilots to have the most updated maps and information"
2017-8-15
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I like their change in attitude and focus on this subject!
Hope it turns out to be everything they are saying...
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-15 01:30
And a second source https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-drones-dji-idUSKCN1AU294

One interesting point though :-

There are obviously some countries who require pilots to have all the necessary up to date data.
2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hall,

We talked about this long time ago and I remember you were one of the people saying that it is all rubbish, conspiracy theories etc... and that DJI doesn't collect information or store information.

Now you are using the word "providing added assurance that critical data is not inadvertently transmitted over the internet"

They were and still transmitting data over the internet knowingly without our explicit authorization, not only critical data but MY PRIVATE DATA, MY PRIVATE VIDEO, MY PRIVATE PICTURES etc...

So if it wasn't for people like me and other who cares about their privacy and kept raising hell at every corner and until the US Army got involved and hit them in their pocket, DJI would have kept data mining and storing everybody else private data and information.

To all, make sure you fly in AIRPLANE MODE, don't upload your data, and don't update until DJI confirm 100% that they will not collect your private data and information without your explicit authorization.

2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 08:06
Hall,

We talked about this long time ago and I remember you were one of the people saying that it is all rubbish, conspiracy theories etc... and that DJI doesn't collect information or store information.

Your a self confessed hero Dronist , as somebody who flys commercially and as a hobbyist they are welcome to trawl through any of my stuff because there is nothing for them to see and nothing for me to hide and I'm sure the same goes for most who use their equipment.

Now maybe you will continue on your endeavour to try stop the googles and apples and all the rest of the huge cyber giants from gathering all our information.
I wish you well, good luck..
2017-8-15
Use props
Sky2017sQuad
New
Flight distance : 21982 ft
United States

I"m sure DJI is very bored with my photos and video of farm fields.  But this topic is very serious.  I work for Federal Government and we are not allowed to purchase their products.  Long before the Army decided to cease and desist using the equipment.  I'm actually surprised the Army was able to purchase the products at all.  Obviously, the Army making this stand will be a game changer for DJI.  They should have known better, but it's no different than Uber collecting the geospatial locations and tracks of all their drivers.  Just my experience and opinion.  
2017-8-15
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

It will be interesting to see whether this satisfies the US Army. My guess is that they won't take DJI's word for it and will only accept their drones if DJI agrees to make its firmware open source.
2017-8-15
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

So does this mean no more dynamic NFZs and users actually getting a CHOICE?  That we actually have control over OUR own drones again?  If so then DJI will be back on my buy list.

My only suggestion to DJI, and I really hope they take it, is to create a "standard" or "baseline" version of the map/geo system just like in the old days, pre dynamic NFZs, and allow the app to revert to that when operating in privacy mode, or maybe have that as a "Privacy+" mode or something, as long as it's available.  Why?  Because users, myself included, might be hesitant to connect the app online (outside of privacy mode) to check for updates if that will result in new NFZ data getting forced on us.  In other words, make the NFZ updates as a seperate option, or like I said, allow it to revert.

My only concern with this is how do you unlock an NFZ in privacy mode?  Unless ofcourse privacy mode HAS NO NFZs in which case that's fine, and I even withdraw my previous suggestion as it is pointless, but if it does still have some NFZs my concern is they could be so restrictive as to effectively force a user to disable privacy mode simply to unlock NFZs.  A possible workaround to this would be the ability to unlock NFZs before hand in Assistant2 then push them to the app ourselves.  Other updates could be done similarly, let us pick and choose what we want to update.

At any rate if this does allow us to turn off the dynamic NFZs it is an INCREDIBLE improvement.
2017-8-15
Use props
Sky Tiger
lvl.1
United States

No one thought that your tv would be collecting information either. lol
2017-8-15
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 08:06
Hall,

I can not reiterate what this man said to any greater extent but man do I agree! Hear, Hear!

I as well was witness to all the fanboys proclaiming that security issues were rubbish and that we are all loonies! Do you really think the US government banned this product for NO REASON? Please guys open your eyes. Now if we could just get the US government to complain about firmware issues we might get somewhere!!

Hallmark, Im sure you have nothing to hide in your household as well? Would you mind letting DJI set up some cameras in your home and watch you? I mean you have nothing to hide right?.... The whole argument for anti-privacy laws of "if you dont have anything to hide why does it matter" is complete rubbish.

2017-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Fly with your device in Airplane mode to remove some of that intrusiveness.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-15 09:07
Your a self confessed hero Dronist , as somebody who flys commercially and as a hobbyist they are welcome to trawl through any of my stuff because there is nothing for them to see and nothing for me to hide and I'm sure the same goes for most who use their equipment.

Now maybe you will continue on your endeavour to try stop the googles and apples and all the rest of the huge cyber giants from gathering all our information.

Come on mate, you make me blush

It is not being a hero but first they DON'T CAPTURE OR STORE DATA,  second they will NOT transmit over internet etc...

Again is not about what I have for them to see or to hide from them. It is my private information and I will decide If I want them to see it or not and not the other way around.

What about in your commercial job, do your clients know that their data has been downloaded and stored in China???

About Google and Apple, I use encrypted VPN, Tor,.

I use Signal and Telegram for encrypted messaging.

I don't use SIRI or ICloud.

All unofficial emails are in Gmail and are under fictitious info.

Business emails are on my private encrypted servers. Every email and or attachments I send or my staff send is encrypted before being sent... and this little bit info on how I protect MY PRIVATE INFO.

You know I love you bro!  

2017-8-15
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 11:01

It is not being a hero but first they DON'T CAPTURE OR STORE DATA,  second they will NOT transmit over internet etc...

"What about in your commercial job, do your clients know that their data has been downloaded and stored in China??? "

Very good point you have made here. Are people operating commercially letting their clients know that their private/company data or images of their hardware or operations may be being sent overseas to somewhere in china and sold off to the highest bidder because thats where this data goes at the end of the day.
2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-15 10:11
I can not reiterate what this man said to any greater extent but man do I agree! Hear, Hear!

I as well was witness to all the fanboys proclaiming that security issues were rubbish and that we are all loonies! Do you really think the US government banned this product for NO REASON? Please guys open your eyes. Now if we could just get the US government to complain about firmware issues we might get somewhere!!

I hear you Bro. Thx

Actually they already have cameras in your home   when you fly indoor!

The issue can be solved very easily by giving us the choice.

If people like our buddy Hall who doesn't care about privacy then it is fine BUT
DJI should also give us the option of denying them access to our data, photos, videos if we choose too.

This way, every one will be happy   and sleep like a baby!

2017-8-15
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ernet-data-transfer

Check paragraph 4:
"Because it blocks all internet data, use of local data mode means DJI apps will not update maps..."
That means the map function will not work if data mode is on.
It's basically an airplane mode for the app alone so people can still get e-mails and chat on Facebook while flying.

Great feature! Congrats DJI!
A complete eyewash and totally useless.

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sky Tiger Posted at 2017-8-15 10:07
No one thought that your tv would be collecting information either. lol

Yuuuup

or ECHO, your blender, your washing machine, your lights, your security alarm.

Just a note, for security cameras used at home and let you access them online, make sure that they are NOT storing the photos or video in some Chinese servers. Always DISABLE online storage and use your local SD CARD storage.

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 10:21
Fly with your device in Airplane mode to remove some of that intrusiveness.

Not only in airplane mode but with WIFI off because sometimes you might connect to PUBLIC WIFI hotspots automatically!

2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Eric13 Posted at 2017-8-15 11:38
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-develops-option-for-pilots-to-fly-without-internet-data-transfer

Check paragraph 4:

Your right sometimes dji can't do right for doing wrong.
2017-8-15
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Sky2017sQuad Posted at 2017-8-15 09:23
I"m sure DJI is very bored with my photos and video of farm fields.  But this topic is very serious.  I work for Federal Government and we are not allowed to purchase their products.  Long before the Army decided to cease and desist using the equipment.  I'm actually surprised the Army was able to purchase the products at all.  Obviously, the Army making this stand will be a game changer for DJI.  They should have known better, but it's no different than Uber collecting the geospatial locations and tracks of all their drivers.  Just my experience and opinion.

"...we are not allowed to purchase their products.  Long before the Army  decided to cease and desist using the equipment.  I'm actually surprised  the Army was able to purchase the products at all..."

I can well imagine that the so called security issues are only an excuse for pushing US products over products from China or overseas.
Especially under the current administration.
Next target will be the bimmers and mercers, they collect data as hell. Not mentioning Volkswagen ;-)

2017-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Anyway, I was mildly bothered when I read about this,
From another forum:
Ever wonder what your GO app really connects to on the Internet when you run it? One user used Wireshark to find out using the GO iOS app (2.5.1). With the coming GEO fencing implementation, this is worth a read.

He installed a device firewall to block all unnecessary communication between the GO app and the outside world and has flown 10 flights so far with no issues and full access to the maps. (Note you need to Jailbreak your device to install a firewall app (i.e. from Cydia like Firewall IP) that filters all app traffic to do this.)

These are all the connections the app tries to make (outside of those you need for maps).

•mydjiflight.dji.com

•newrelic.com - app analytics

•djistatic.com

•flurry.com - Mobile analytics company

•conf.international.baidu.com

•baidu.com

•qbox.me (via qbox.wscdns.com)

•upgrade.dj2006.net

•pingma.qq.com

•u.dji.com

•acbe.aasky.net -type this one in a browser for a nice scare.

•tpns.qq.com

•dds.dji.com

•pilotv2.djivideos.com

•active.dji.com

•m.dji.com

•djicdn.com

www.skypixel.com

•djiexplore.com

•flysafe-api.dji.com - LOL registered to Perfect Privacy LLC

You can block these by using the pure domains but listed them for completeness.

Hope you get an ear and eye full...

RedHotPoker
2017-8-15
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 12:12
From another forum:
Ever wonder what your GO app really connects to on the Internet when you run it? One user used Wireshark to find out using the GO iOS app (2.5.1). With the coming GEO fencing implementation, this is worth a read.

This is crazy! Redhotpoker, have you seen the posts about the "packet-capture" app also? I am going to check it out too.
2017-8-15
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-15 12:12
From another forum:

Not sure that list means much without an explanation of what they all are.

At a guess flysafe-api.dji.com is where it gets the NFZ information.

Baidu.com maybe for access to maps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu_Maps

Each one will have an explanation, without the explanation we shouldn't judge if it is good or bad, only that the number of connections is probably a bit excessive, and quite likely not all planned!
2017-8-15
Use props
Sky Tiger
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 11:35
Yuuuup

or ECHO, your blender, your washing machine, your lights, your security alarm.

I don't need a security guard. And I can tell you for damn sure my appliances are collecting data about me. What kind of fool idea is that??
2017-8-15
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Sky Tiger Posted at 2017-8-15 13:15
I don't need a security guard. And I can tell you for damn sure my appliances are collecting data about me. What kind of fool idea is that??

Did you read what you typed?

Are your appliances collecting or NOT?

What kind of fool idea is that?  

Are you seriously asking this question? If you are than get out from under the rock and read this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jos ... n-in-your-own-home/

2017-8-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is a long time since we had such a great collection of paranoid fools on this forum. Paticularly those that have little to no technical knowledge and are prepared to believe this rubbish.
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 11:01

Firstly there not my customers I'm contracted to fly that's what I do, all my flights are logged manually yes pen/paper, company takes care of all digital records no flights are ever synced to dji with exception of problem flights.
They are the largest aerial surveying company in U.K. and Ireland, they have no worries regarding security as they manage all of this in house.
As for me ever since I picked up a mobile phone or for that matter landline phone people have been gathering information about me one way or another, I have never felt the need to protect myself from any of this, It has had no detrimental effect on my life in any way shape or form.
Life for me would be to short to worry about any of this, and I don't feel the need to barricade myself from any of this.
That's my choice and I'm quite happy to live with it.i
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-15 14:18
It is a long time since we had such a great collection of paranoid fools on this forum. Paticularly those that have little to no technical knowledge and are prepared to believe this rubbish.

Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are BS, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you”
2017-8-15
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Moldova

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-15 12:37
Not sure that list means much without an explanation of what they all are.

At a guess flysafe-api.dji.com is where it gets the NFZ information.

You don't need to judge. If DJI came out from the beginning and said hey we are doing this, collecting this, storing this and here are your choices. But you can't trust them after the fact. They need to earn our trust now.

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-15 14:18

You know the rules about calling people names.

If you can't have a civilized conversation where someone can be right and accept the fact that sometimes you might be wrong, unless you are a TRUMP AUSSIE incarnation, and you don't admit and you doubling down and tripling down, then no one will take you seriously.

So you are the master of all IT, TECH knowledge, the Gandhi and Buddha of all Cyber info bundled in one under the GREAT GEEBAX!

Even when DJI admitS that they are collecting, storing your data, pictures and videos, you still think that everyone else is a paranoid fool. Great argument mate! Keep it up dude...

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-15 14:34
Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are BS, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you”

Hall,

Same thing :

Even when DJI admits that they are collecting, storing your data, pictures and videos, you still think that everyone else is a paranoid fools!

Come on man!

2017-8-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 15:03
You know the rules about calling people names.

If you can't have a civilized conversation where someone can be right and accept the fact that sometimes you might be wrong, unless you are a TRUMP AUSSIE incarnation, and you don't admit and you doubling down and tripling down, then no one will take you seriously.

'Even when DJI admitS that they are collecting, storing your data, pictures and videos, you still think that everyone else is a paranoid fool.'

DJI have not said anywhere that they are collecting pictures or videos, and they are not. Flight data yes. But I am not going to argue with you, enjoy your delusions.
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think if you read the statement you will see why there was need to collect some data, if you feel they were spying on all of us , that's the way you feel, if collecting data on my flying was done to make flying safer for me and others then I don't see any problem, collecting the data was not effecting my flying experience.
2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-15 15:22
I think if you read the statement you will see why there was need to collect some data, if you feel they were spying on all of us , that's the way you feel, if collecting data on my flying was done to make flying safer for me and others then I don't see any problem, collecting the data was not effecting my flying experience.

I read the statement, but like I said before, I won't believe anything they say anymore because they were NOT up and up from the beginning and when everyone from the admin to DJI keep feeding us bull left and right when we asked them about tracking, data collection etc... and now they want us to believe what they say? They lost our trust and so they have to earn that trust now.

DJI have access in real time to everything  once you are connected to the internet.

Now if you are flying in Ariplane Mode and NO WIFI then that is a different story.

Dude they have access to everything and you can see it if you have the P4P+ and CS they even have complete access to your phone, data, contacts to name a few. They can change it etc...

Why do they need that? Please explain it to me? I tried to delete it and the other background apps and it WON'T allow me and that is why I have been flying in airplane mode, no WIFI and I go in and manually delete the data since I found out about the issue several month ago.

If you use Android then go in and check it for yourself but please stop saying that people are paranoids. It is a FACT and DJI admitted to it and they only did it because the US Army hit them in the pocket, where it hurts. We are talking about millions of potential customers and extended families, contractors etc.

One more thing, what about when you are the victim of Identity Theft?

I bet you won't have that simplistic attitude anymore! I hope not... for your sake.

2017-8-15
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I am the E Posted at 2017-8-15 14:41
You don't need to judge. If DJI came out from the beginning and said hey we are doing this, collecting this, storing this and here are your choices. But you can't trust them after the fact. They need to earn our trust now.

But DJI have already told us what they do and don't collect and they repeated it in todays press release:

• DJI recognizes the importance of data privacy to its customers. DJI does not collect or have access to user flight logs, photos or videos unless the user chooses to share those by syncing flight logs with DJI servers, uploading photos or videos to DJI’s SkyPixel website, or physically delivering the drone to DJI for service.
  • DJI publicly committed to protecting its customers’ data privacy in April 2016. In a March 2017 white paper, DJI became the first major drone manufacturer to advocate for protecting the privacy of drone users as the United States and European governments develop regulations to monitor drone flights. No other civilian drone manufacturer there has been as vocal as DJI in protecting the operational and data privacy interests of drone users.
  • DJI’s flight control apps routinely communicate over the internet to ensure a drone has the most relevant local maps and geofencing data, latest app versions, correct radio frequency and power requirements, and other information that enhances flight safety and functionality. When a pilot enables local data mode, DJI apps will stop sending or receiving any data over the internet, giving customers enhanced assurances about the privacy of data generated during their flights.

2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronist Posted at 2017-8-15 15:29
I read the statement, but like I said before, I won't believe anything they say anymore because they were NOT up and up from the beginning and when everyone from the admin to DJI keep feeding us bull left and right when we asked them about tracking, data collection etc... and now they want us to believe what they say? They lost our trust and so they have to earn that trust now.

DJI have access in real time to everything  once you are connected to the internet.

Well I will take back what I said about paranoia, but first you will have to show me one just one case where dji have collected data on any one person and used it to the detriment of this person.
Or are we to go through the same BS in an overextended thread without a modicum of proof.

Really now dji are part of a cost nostra stealing people's identity, remember they have your CC details name and address email, ph number. Why would they need further information from you to try steal your identity?
2017-8-15
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know anyone here, but it IS an interesting conversation. But hallmark007 - I think you sir, are dead wrong in your position - period. I fly commercially as well and I can assure you that 85% of the clients I fly for have NO desire whatsoever to have the data from my flight for them stored on servers in China, or any place else for that matter, that they do NOT have control of.

May I just point out the current "hacking" that is going on with HBO/Game of Thrones? Do you think your clients would want to be in that situation? Mine certainly don't, but your responses are very entertaining I must say!  

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-15 15:50
Well I will take back what I said about paranoia, but first you will have to show me one just one case where dji have collected data on any one person and used it to the detriment of this person.
Or are we to go through the same BS in an overextended thread without a modicum of proof.

You are still my buddy...

I am not talking about DJI stealing my credit card. I am referring to your idea of not caring who snoops on you or for what.

Again it is not a matter of showing one case or what happened to that data. The main issue here, is why they collected that data without our expressed permission in the first place?

That is the issue, If I did not find out about it or other did not find out about it, DJI would still be silent about the issue.

Again, you made your choice that you don't care who or what collect your data and that is your decision and I respect that but at the same time you have to respect my decision and the rest of the people decision that we DON'T WANT TO BE, tracked, snooped or what ever it is without me, us giving DJI permission to do that.

I hope we can agree on that. The best way to improve is to learn from history and I learned a simple lesson is when someone says trust me, that is my first flag to NOT TRUST THEM.

Always fun discussing the issues with you mate!

2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-15 16:19
I don't know anyone here, but it IS an interesting conversation. But hallmark007 - I think you sir, are dead wrong in your position - period. I fly commercially as well and I can assure you that 85% of the clients I fly for have NO desire whatsoever to have the data from my flight for them stored on servers in China, or any place else for that matter, that they do NOT have control of.

May I just point out the current "hacking" that is going on with HBO/Game of Thrones? Do you think your clients would want to be in that situation? Mine certainly don't, but your responses are very entertaining I must say!

I second that but also even if someone like Hall is contracted as a third party, he . she is the one who is flying and taking the picture and videos so guess what if anything happened they will come after that person too.
2017-8-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-15 15:31
But DJI have already told us what they do and don't collect and they repeated it in todays press release:

Again fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me. That is NOT what the recent CS agreement states, they share all data with any third party, police, etc. I got mine last week, I'll see if i can go back and print it out or take picture of it.

Again, when they say TRUST ME, that is where the buck stop!

2017-8-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules