Liability insurance? What is that?
3106 29 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
taimingkoh
lvl.2
Singapore

I keep seeing that to bring a drone (Spark in my case), I'd need a liability insurance. What is that? An insurance for the drone?

I'm too late to find out all these stuff and do the customs check? Because I really do not want my Spark to be confiscated.
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Where are you travelling to?  maybe someone on here will help you with your questions
2017-8-15
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

From my understanding State Farm has drone insurance available. $70.00 per year full replacement cost and Zero deductible
http://dronereviewsandnews.com/state-farm-drone-insurance/

State Farms drone insurance applies anywhere in the world.
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Liability insurance is usually what covers you for damage to others property or person, it would usually not cover your drone.
2017-8-15
Use props
taimingkoh
lvl.2
Singapore

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-15 05:58
Where are you travelling to?  maybe someone on here will help you with your questions

travelling to germany and italy
2017-8-15
Use props
Jose Ramos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 72825 ft
Portugal

What? Do you have to have liability insurance to travel to Italy? Are you sure about this?
2017-8-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

liability insurance:

This covers others from personal or property damage you cause to them. This is like the insurance you have on your Car (if you own one) to protect other people against you

Rich
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-15 07:37
liability insurance:

This covers others from personal or property damage you cause to them. This is like the insurance you have on your Car (if you own one) to protect other people against you

We know what liability insurance is.  Just surprised to hear its not required to travel to other contries
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

taimingkoh Posted at 2017-8-15 07:10
travelling to germany and italy

Cant tell you about Italy, but Germany not only need a insurance, but also a registration. Usually!
All UAV over 250 gramm w. cam (0,55 pound)
Its new.
Here a google translate link. You will find 115 countries "reviewed"
https://translate.googleusercont ... Q_49IMqJH48rVW4T8aQ
Even Thailand want a registration and a insurance.
Lucky, in China you can register via telefon.
Because the simcard you need, it is in your name registered!
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-15 08:11
We know what liability insurance is.  Just surprised to hear its not required to travel to other contries

Somehow o.o.t

But a funny story, about that:

Thailand now wants a liability insurance up to 1 000.000 Baht for drones!

All the Millions of scooters are running without, most cars, and more important, local busses, TukTuks, Taxis, ...., also have only the compulsory very, very low level health insurance for the doctors bill.
And nothing for third parties.
As older a vehicle, as more it is to expect:
If accident, the driver has to pay.
In special all the rental scooter are very much without 3 party or theft insurance
2017-8-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-15 08:11

Yah, my bad... I reread the OP and guess I was in a hurry to answer and didn't get his question fully.. The only way to know the answer to his question is someone from this country that is familiar with the requirements.  The best way is to contact customs in Germany and Italy to be sure.

Rich
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-8-15 06:01
From my understanding State Farm has drone insurance available. $70.00 per year full replacement cost and Zero deductible

This is not for liability insurance however.  

Currently I am unaware of an American insurance company providing liability coverage to any drone.  I expect OP will need to purchase liability insurance from wherever he is heading - OR - purchase an umbrella liability plan, not mentioning the specific use of the drone.  Most insurance companies will sell you a liability plan in that capacity.
2017-8-15
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-15 10:14

Currently I am unaware of an American insurance company providing liability coverage to any drone.  I expect OP will need to purchase liability insurance from wherever he is heading - OR - purchase an umbrella liability plan, not mentioning the specific use of the drone.  Most insurance companies will sell you a liability plan in that capacity.

State Farm covers liability for my drones under my home owners policy and damage, loss and theft under a PAP policy.
2017-8-15
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I talked to my agent, and he asked if this state farm policy is a rider on the home owners policy, or is it stand alone?
2017-8-15
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

As I understand it, you may have 3rd party liability insurance, but it will be invalid if inthe U K ar least if you fail to comply in full with the legal requirements laid down by theCAA. Not least the need for landowner's permission to take off and land. Since this now almost impossible to obtain there is virtually nowhere in the UK you can fly.
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-8-15 11:18
State Farm covers liability for my drones under my home owners policy and damage, loss and theft under a PAP policy.

I strongly suggest you ask your insurance company for the policy language that says they will cover the medical bills of a third party caused by your drone hitting them.  It's true that property removed from your home is covered on your home owners policy, I've yet to see one where liability is covered when that property causes damage to a third party after it's removal from your home.
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-15 11:17
I talked to my agent, and he asked if this state farm policy is a rider on the home owners policy, or is it stand alone?

They are PAP's (not a rider) - but your agent should know better than to ask that as it does not matter regarding your future insurance rates if you file a claim.
2017-8-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-15 10:14

American Model Association provides very good liability insurance when you become a member. You also get a very nice magazine every month.
2017-8-15
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-8-15 12:33
American Model Association provides very good liability insurance when you become a member. You also get a very nice magazine every month.

Thanks for this info.  I read their information and joined.
2017-8-15
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-15 12:04
I strongly suggest you ask your insurance company for the policy language that says they will cover the medical bills of a third party caused by your drone hitting them.  It's true that property removed from your home is covered on your home owners policy, I've yet to see one where liability is covered when that property causes damage to a third party after it's removal from your home.

I did ask because I never ever assume anything and per my agent (I have it in writing), I'm 100% covered.
2017-8-15
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Well, with the probability to have "skydrop" on SPARK, liability insurance doesn't look a bad idea.
2017-8-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-8-15 12:33

You are correct and that is a legit option!  I don't know if that's world wide though.
2017-8-16
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-8-15 16:12
I did ask because I never ever assume anything and per my agent (I have it in writing), I'm 100% covered.

Good move!  Keep that writing!  I'm surprised they put that in writing.
2017-8-16
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-16 12:07
Good move!  Keep that writing!  I'm surprised they put that in writing.

One thing they stressed when I went to paramedic school many many years ago - if it's not in writing, it didn't happen. That's a good rule for almost everything.
2017-8-17
Use props
taimingkoh
lvl.2
Italy

Ok I successfully brought my Spark in Frankfurt and Milan. Maybe lucky because there wasn't a bag check.
But omg it's rly ridiculous to have an insurance for your drone in every country you visit.
2017-8-20
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-8-15 06:01

These policies don't have liability. They are just for physical damage.

State Farm does offer liability coverage through a renters policy (roughly $10-15 per month). Just this month they no longer consider a drone an aircraft so it is not excluded from the policy.

If anyone needs help with any insurance questions feel free to PM, text or call me 973-479-9959. Also NJ, NY and CT guys I can write or refer you to an agent who can write these policies for you.

-Dillon
2017-8-21
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
Flight distance : 567434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are some insurance companies that include drone usage in their liability policy but this is a insurance for a year that costs around 70 Euro and protects others from your drone and the damage it may make.
In Germany you do need it from October together with a fire-steady label where your name and address need to be on the drone: (translate it with google)
Max height: 100 m and always in VLOS
under 2 kg: labeling obligation
2017-8-21
Use props
chico020
New

Philippines

Even myself, don't really familiar with this liability insurance. I know some insurance company that offers various insurances, however I didn't hear any from liability insurance. Now I know that there's some kind of insurance like this, I think it is good for me to try it and how much the coverage as well as the per month.
2018-3-19
Use props
Geraldian
lvl.1

Germany

When a drone crashes, the owner is liable in accordance with the German Air Traffic Act (Luftverkehrsgesetz, LuftVG), regardless of faults. This can have very far-reaching consequences and involve damage to property or even injuries to people. This is called Liability Insurance ("Haftpflichtversicherung für Drohnen"). Different insurance company‘s have developed suitable coverage concepts for the professional use of drones or unpiloted aerial vehicles (UAV) or multicopters. Because drones are subject to compulsory insurance in both the commercial and private sectors.

So if you're planning a trip to Germany with your drone, be aware that the drone laws in that country are getting even tougher starting 1st of October 2017. Drones above 0.25 kg must carry a well visible, fireproof label with name/address of owner. You will find a huge variety of Drone Badges („Drohnen-Plakette“) on the market at low rates that are conform to the new rules. In addition, your name and address must be on it.

• Drones may not fly above 100 meters (328 feet) without a permit. In controlled airspace the maximum altitude allowed is 50 meters (164 feet).
  • Drone pilots must maintain a direct line of sight with their drones at all times. According to our research, an exception might be permissible in the case of FPV flights in which the drone flies no higher than 30 meters (98 feet) above the ground and weighs no more than 250 grams (.55 pounds).
  • Drones may not be flown at night.
  • Drone insurance is required for all drone operations in Germany.
  • Drones weighing up to 5 kilograms (11 pounds) may be flown without a permit, but a license is required to fly a drone weighing more than 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds).
  • Drones may not be flown within 1.5 kilometers (.93 miles) or closer to an airport.
  • All drones weighing 250 grams (.55 pounds) or more must be labeled with a fireproof badge containing the name and address of the drone owner / operator.
  • Drones may not be flown over crowds, industrial areas, disaster areas, prisons, and several other areas designated as sensitive. See this map for more information on where drones are banned in Germany. (Source: https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-germany/)

I hope that helps you.

2018-10-9
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-15 08:28
but Germany not only need a insurance, but also a registration. Usually!

Hi Seven,

Sorry, that's wrong.
For Germany, there is no registration needed. Above 250 grams you only need an insurance and the drone has to labelled (fireproof) with your name and address. You can do that yourself.
For drones with a MTOW of 2kg up to 5kg, you need to take an exam ("Kenntnisnachweis") which is valid for 5 years.
Drones with 5kg or more need a permit for every flight.

Cheers,
Wolferl, Germany and Austria approved :-)
2018-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules