12Next >
3535 47 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 442011 ft
United States

Got my red props in the mail yesterday, Loving the look. But while changing to the red props, I noticed that 2 of the 4 black ones I took off were being held on by only one of the little feet in the motor. I had no reason to think these props had any faults. No crashes, no hard landings to make me think I should check them. So, I would suggest removing your props for inspection on occasion.

I like the red props, havnt flown them yet.

red.jpg
2017-8-15
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194944 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up, gonna check mine now after work.  I have seen another post by someone else mentioning that they found a detached prop foot as well, so probably good to check.

Where did you get the different color props?
2017-8-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've also had this damaged prop issue.  Make them part of your pre flight check.  I noticed it because when I spun all the props by hand, one would occasionally stick and not move.  I flew it several times broken I think.
2017-8-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Read this and checked my props ......are all good.  Where did you get the red props from?

Rich
2017-8-15
Use props
TheCyberKnight
lvl.3
Canada

This is an interesting discovery. Maybe it can explain some of the unexpected mid-flight Spark falls - a detaching propeller.
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Nice .. are they from DJI or other?  
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I saw different color propellers and stuff on amazon or/and ebay.
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.2
United States

I, too, had a prop with only one of two feet still attached and didn't even know it. I went to calibrate IMU and you remove the props to do so, a little piece of black plastic rolled out when I put it on one side. Looked at the props and one of them only had one of two feet. Had no idea. Would still be flying it if i hadn't calibrated. Good idea to give them a check.
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
United States

These props came from Amazon, Prime delivery in 2 days.

Link: http://a.co/cUV3Db0
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Looks great. You need to update your avatar!
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
United States

Also tried out my new landing pad today.

Spark.jpg
Spark 2.jpg
2017-8-15
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

One propeller with a broken tab. Thanks for the suggestion.
2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

"Also tried out my new landing pad today."

How is Sparky recognising the landing area?
2017-8-15
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

What you guys did when found out you had a broken feet? Is the broken feet on the propeller or the motor casing itself?
2017-8-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The foot was broke off the prop and stuck in the motor casing.
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to unmount the propellers and start the motor to check whether it works well first.
2017-8-15
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am not sure third party props are a good idea, the ones I got were very stiff  in the propeller hub joint compared to the loose DJI genuine props. Do you think this might have contributed to flight instability if they can't be perfectly aligned by centrifugal force ?
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky Tim
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-8-15 20:35
I am not sure third party props are a good idea, the ones I got were very stiff  in the propeller hub joint compared to the loose DJI genuine props. Do you think this might have contributed to flight instability if they can't be perfectly aligned by centrifugal force ?

Other than the color, these look and feel no different to me than the DJI props. to each his own.
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Based on this advise, I checked my props.  They remain sound and healthy.

I also bought green props, because I like color coordination.
2017-8-16
Use props
pingywon13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

I too had experienced this issue. I had a scraped up prop and and decided to remove them all....3 were broken and 1 actually had the little part stuck in the motor. I had to turn the bird upside down and shake it to get the part out. I had never thought to post it, but you are right..it is very important to check this!
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm going into super supposition mode:  What if...

The individuals reporting drops had a prior crash or circumstance where the prop broke, and had a piece of plastic that was not quite wedged between the housing and motor...  and what if during a subsequent flight that piece suddenly locks the motor up?

DJI Moderators:  What's the expected drone behavior if one motor has a problem?  I know it won't be able to fly, but does it try to compensate?  Or do all motors go into shut-down?

Everyone:  This probably emphasizes the importance of inspecting the props and craft before flight.  The manual instructs us to do so, but I NEVER took the props off and re-attached them.  I should do this from now on.
2017-8-16
Use props
schmots1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3773 ft

United States

I too will start checking mine every flight
2017-8-16
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-8-15 10:49
I, too, had a prop with only one of two feet still attached and didn't even know it. I went to calibrate IMU and you remove the props to do so, a little piece of black plastic rolled out when I put it on one side. Looked at the props and one of them only had one of two feet. Had no idea. Would still be flying it if i hadn't calibrated. Good idea to give them a check.

Just checked mine and all have the two feet still attached .. i'll be keeping an eye on this going forward.
2017-8-16
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-16 08:26

The individuals reporting drops had a prior crash or circumstance where the prop broke, and had a piece of plastic that was not quite wedged between the housing and motor...  and what if during a subsequent flight that piece suddenly locks the motor up?

I saw a you tube video where someone was testing this actual topic; broken or missing blade.  If the blades are missing, the spark didn't take off, it actually shut it's self off.  in the case of a cracked or part of the prop missing, the spark did different things based on how sever the break was.  look it up on You Tube
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-16 09:10
I saw a you tube video where someone was testing this actual topic; broken or missing blade.  If the blades are missing, the spark didn't take off, it actually shut it's self off.  in the case of a cracked or part of the prop missing, the spark did different things based on how sever the break was.  look it up on You Tube

Good advice, and I have seen the various youtubes which test the durability of the drone.  My supposition is more towards the case where one of the "feet" of the prop breaks, and less about a visible piece of the blade being damaged.  This "hidden" damage might explain some of the drops.  And this emphasizes the need to inspect ALL of the prop, not just the visible portion when attached.
2017-8-16
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Mine are ok!... i'm carrying the spark in the black box, i don't think the bag that comes with the fly more combo is good for the props... Just a thought...
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

just checked mine and there all good! thanks for sharing
2017-8-16
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

lafoto Posted at 2017-8-16 09:25
Mine are ok!... i'm carrying the spark in the black box, i don't think the bag that comes with the fly more combo is good for the props... Just a thought...

Same here, I use the original spark case to carry my spark, batteries and spare blades.  The fly more bag, I use for everything else.  That way I can decide if I'm doing a quick flight with iphone or a flight with remote/blade guards, etc
2017-8-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am pretty sure that I was lucky to not have a catastrophic failure.  I am positive I flew the bird over distance with the broken prop foot.  I had one minor crash, involving my Spark flying into my car at 3 feet altitude trying to avoid my friends attacking dog. Inspect those props every flight.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Some dogs just go nuts over the drone.  Some dogs are completely frightened, and some just ignore it.
2017-8-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, she hates it, but I love her and would have felt bad injuring her.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Sparky Tim Posted at 2017-8-15 10:58
Also tried out my new landing pad today.

how did the precision landing do with the new pad?
2017-8-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky Tim Posted at 2017-8-15 10:45
These props came from Amazon, Prime delivery in 2 days.

Link: http://a.co/cUV3Db0

ordered!

Rich
2017-8-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-16 08:26

I think the Go 4 App would tell you motor overloaded or at least something like that. If 1 prop comes off the Spark would spin before shutting down (IMO)

Rich
2017-8-16
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

Does the spark fly with only 3 motors? Can this be the cause of spark turn off in the air? A plastic thing in the motor? And then fall?
2017-8-16
Use props
Hioctane Cyrus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45289 ft
United Kingdom

Checked my props last night after reading your post. One of them was only being held on by one foot.
I must get into a habit of checking them regularly. Also need to buy another set of spare props
2017-8-16
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Watching youtube spark durability or crash videos, if spark blades hit something and the impact are strong, the drone shut off all four blades and fall. If the drone hit something for just a split second and the impact are not strong, the drone keep flying.

I dont know whats the impact intensity of a broken blade feet midflight, but if the blade stops abruptely like when the drone hits something strong like a wall, the drone FOR SURE WILL TURN ALL THE MOTORS OFF.

Just need watch all the youtube videos of spark crashing or durability tests to see this behaviour..
2017-8-16
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

On this video, exactly at 1min20s you can see what happens when spark hit something hard, you can see in slowmotion all four motors stoping at same time and falling.

And if a broken blade feet can crash a motor midflight ( like it was hit something)? spark will for sure fall of the sky like a brick.

This can explain why not all sparks are falling, why some users has 60 ok flights before falling of sky, why software update dont fix and stopped new cases appear.

And for sure can explain why sparks are falling for "no aparent reason", its not common verify all blades of spark before all flights, its not even common detach the blades because spark are stored with blades atached..
Just on this post, there are 2 spark owners that has broken propellers feet and dont even  know that before verify or buy another color propellers and change, maybe 2 possible fall of sky victims saved.
What if the other victims that has fall of sky sparks dont even know of broken propellers? This for sure appear to be a "fall with no aparent reason" " caused by bug firmware" or something like that.

Its all just a theory, but...

Quadcopters dont fly with just 3 motors, hexacopters (typhoon H) can fly with just 4 motors.

2017-8-16
Use props
Ken-Rick
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18898 ft
Netherlands

www.aliexpress.com I ordered alsmost everything here
2017-8-16
Use props
gezzer300
First Officer
Flight distance : 697851 ft
United States

Checked mine... There OK. It would seem that it might be a good idea to check them ever so often. Good idea to include in a pre flight, maybe like every other outing or a crash.
2017-8-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules