maps availability on spark
5391 39 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hello everyone.
Absolutely a Rookie here, it looks I have problems loading maps on my brand new Spark.
When I launch the Go 4 app and I prepare for takeoff I have a message in the middle of the screen of my Ipad Air informing me my wifi bandwith is not enough to load maps.
The point is that the Ipad is linked to the controller and obviously it cannot download maps from internet!
I search on the net and I found almost nothing about this.
Can someone help me with a link to the right youtube or forum/blog link?

Thanks!

Mauro
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

i've had the same type of messaging on my screen.  Haven't had any issues flying after ignoring the message.  Hope someone here can help clarify this.
2017-8-15
Use props
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-15 10:30
i've had the same type of messaging on my screen.  Haven't had any issues flying after ignoring the message.  Hope someone here can help clarify this.

Hi Sparky!! Thanks for answering... I had no problems flying, but without any satellite map: dark grey screen instead of the map. It's bad since for me knowing how the Spark is turned and positioned  with reference to the landing point would be very very useful.
2017-8-15
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

DId you go into the GO 4 App and download the offline maps? From the app front page select the top drop down menu and select "offline maps"
2017-8-15
Use props
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-15 11:08
Hi,

DId you go into the GO 4 App and download the offline maps? From the app front page select the top drop down menu and select "offline maps"

Hi Martin! Thanks for answering...
Believe me, I tried.. but no trace of 'Offline Map' in the menu in the top right corner of my iPad...
This voice does not appear in the menu.. and I do not understand why.

Mauro
2017-8-15
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Top right before you even leave the front page
Screenshot_20170815-202715.png
2017-8-15
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm on IOS with DJI Go4 and my drop down shows Scan QR Code, Academy, Flight Record, No-Fly Zone and Find my Drone.  I don't see anything else in my drop down.
2017-8-15
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

I also don't see that option, on iOS as well-
2017-8-15
Use props
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm also having this problem, have had it for the last few days on iPad and iPhone. I think it could be because of the latest firmware update on the rc maybe? I noticed it the next time I flew after doing the update.. DJI any ideas please? It's kinda bad not knowing where you are flying. both my iPad and iPhone have strong 4G signals when I noticed this.

Thx,

D
2017-8-15
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-15 11:28

Mine does not have all those options either.
2017-8-15
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131417 ft
Nigeria

@Martin,this option is only in this menu available for Android.

@All, for IOS, you will possible only see  China Mainland option under Map  (General Settings)

Uninstall the App and reinstall... you will now see 3 options including Cache Map. Switch On.
Now you can download map (before linking with RC) for the are you plan to fly....
After option will disappear again,assume is bug

I posted same solution in https://forum.dji.com/thread-107737-1-1.html

2017-8-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Maybe this video, that I found during my search for a way to DELETE downloaded maps from my android, can help you.
(Btw: I did not find a way, to delete them from inside DJI Go 4, yet! Anyone can help?)

Workaround how to temporarily load a "offline" map in to DJI GO 4

2017-8-15
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Seriously why would this vital feature not be available on IOS?  
2017-8-15
Use props
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-15 18:40
Seriously why would this vital feature not be available on IOS?

Yes I tried everything, even re installing go 4 app but no evidence of 'Offline Maps' menu.
Actually I am not able to have any map on my mobile device: It looks I am nit able to access maps on the net and I am not able to download them before flying.
2017-8-15
Use props
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

fansd9180543 Posted at 2017-8-15 23:59
Yes I tried everything, even re installing go 4 app but no evidence of 'Offline Maps' menu.
Actually I am not able to have any map on my mobile device: It looks I am nit able to access maps on the net and I am not able to download them before flying.

At this point my question becomes two questions:

1- How I can download satellite maps in real time if my device has strong data connection but it cannot access the net since it's WI-Fi connected with the controller?

2- How I can download a map before flight, keeping it available in my device in areas where the internet signal is not available?

It really looks I just cannot catch something basic and important. I tried to find an answer on the net but never found a post or a video addressing this.

Mauro
2017-8-16
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

fansd9180543 Posted at 2017-8-16 00:04
At this point my question becomes two questions:

1- How I can download satellite maps in real time if my device has strong data connection but it cannot access the net since it's WI-Fi connected with the controller?

I believe it has to do with licensing agreements and Apple. However what I do is I try to connect to a wifi network at home or hotspot and load the app and the map loads. Then I disconnect and turn off the hotspot and connect to the AC or RC. Try it out. Unfortunately you have to do it near the location you will fly and can't pre load. You may also try to download the google maps for offline use, maybe the phone will remember the map is there. Just a thought I have not tried the last one.
2017-8-16
Use props
fansd9180543
lvl.1
Slovenia

fans99d24711 Posted at 2017-8-16 06:19
I believe it has to do with licensing agreements and Apple. However what I do is I try to connect to a wifi network at home or hotspot and load the app and the map loads. Then I disconnect and turn off the hotspot and connect to the AC or RC. Try it out. Unfortunately you have to do it near the location you will fly and can't pre load. You may also try to download the google maps for offline use, maybe the phone will remember the map is there. Just a thought I have not tried the last one.

Thanks, I'll try this way.
I will alo check the connection speed of my provider to be sure it's fast enough.
Someone knows what the minimum download speed to have the satellite maps loaded?

Thanks again!

Mauro
2017-8-16
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-15 11:48
I'm on IOS with DJI Go4 and my drop down shows Scan QR Code, Academy, Flight Record, No-Fly Zone and Find my Drone.  I don't see anything else in my drop down.

Same here...IOS.
2017-8-16
Use props
Rhoffmann
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41755 ft
United States

I bought an iPad mini for the sole purpose of flying the Spark. No map for me it appears.
2017-8-16
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Canada

I'm pretty sure it's a bug - it be nice if DJI support could chime in to clarify.
2017-8-16
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

I also bought an IPad mini 4 Wifi. This is how mine looks even when disconnected. Like I said I start the app connected either to my home wifi or hotspot and it gets the map. When I disconnect it keeps the map.

IMG_0025.PNG
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The offline map is a feature of Android devices. As for IOS devices, you can enable  the Cache Map in the Background which located in the General Settings.
2017-8-17
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Canada

When I'm connected to Wifi/Hotspot I don't see a map. Post flight, when I go into my flight records - it says map loading. Eventually it shows me the map of that flight. I'm not sure when this problem started, but it wasn't between updates. I'm pretty sure that in the beginning of all the latest firmware/App updates I could load in a map pre-flight.

Again like I said in a previous post, it looks like a bug.. a pretty big one. Considering they are adding 'Offline Mode' in a future update, I assume that will fix the issue at the same time.
2017-8-17
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Nigeria

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-17 02:16
The offline map is a feature of Android devices. As for IOS devices, you can enable  the Cache Map in the Background which located in the General Settings.

@DJI Susan, the App contains a bug, as option will disappear..

That's why I advised others to unstall, reinstall App. First time option is there and able to active cache. After restart, option is gone...
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

roberteb Posted at 2017-8-17 03:02

That's why I advised others to unstall, reinstall App. First time option is there and able to active cache. After restart, option is gone...

May I know which drone and mobile device do you use? How about the APP version? I will check with our engineers.
2017-8-19
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Canada

roberteb Posted at 2017-8-17 03:02

I had all the latest versions and I can confirm that reinstalling the app fixed the problem for me. Now I see the 'cache map in background' option-
2017-8-19
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-19 02:24
May I know which drone and mobile device do you use? How about the APP version? I will check with our engineers.

Spark, iOS - latest app version & firmwares. See previous comment-
2017-8-19
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

That's not the menu I get.
2017-8-20
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Nigeria

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-19 02:24

I checked again this weekend. No map was showing...  I deleted the App

Ipad 4 Mini IOS 10.3.3 (14G60)   App version 4.1.5 AC .0500 DB .04

Installed the App and I had the following options: under Map:
- Show Flight Route
- Calibrate Map Coordinates (For China Mainland)
- Cache Map in Background

If I use last option, all is fine.

After a while (starting several times is App) the 1st and 3rd option are missing... no clue why, but in some case the map isn't loading from cache ?

2017-8-20
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the only way around this is to use the cellular data option if you have it on the IOS device, to update the mapping on the go.

On my ipad mini as soon as I turn off mobile data, the map is only a small local cache
2017-8-20
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You need iPad with Cellular model. Use wifi to connect to Spark and cellular to internet. That is only option.
2017-8-20
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Nigeria

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-20 16:47
You need iPad with Cellular model. Use wifi to connect to Spark and cellular to internet. That is only option.

Yes and No...  (I have cellular model for GPS)

App is offering Cache Map,so normal before my flight I download and cache map. Only is that map disappears same as option to cache maps..

If you fly in area without network coverage, you need cache option..

2017-8-20
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

iOS and iphone 7+ user here with latest update of DJI go 4. I can confirm that I had no 'cache map in background' option under general settings. I deleted the app and reinstalled and the option appeared. Thanks for the advice above - great shame it was needed as the great majority of DJI go users will not have seen it and know that it is possible.
2017-8-20
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Nigeria

In addition,  no Map means that you are unable to change homepoint to your controller.

Also when just take-off, Homepoint updated check on Map, but not possible (but homepont is correct). When changing homepoint (to RC), still picks the last recorded homepoint, which is sometimes miles away!

I still didn't foudn reason or at which moment the option is disappers..

2017-8-21
Use props
Quad-Ken
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20810 ft
United States

I've tried the new firmware and still no "Cache Map Offline" feature showing up on my IOS DJI Go app.
2017-8-21
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Hong Kong

The "Cache Map Offline" feature does not support in iOS DJI GO. The map of DJI GO use mapkit from Apple and Apple does not support an API to download the offline map data. "Cache map in the Background" is auto enable in Spark, and the switch option is removed when you use a Spark. If you want to see the map when you flying, please connect the internet and locate to the place you will fly in the map. When you can see the satellite image, the Apple MapKit has cache this map data. If you can not see the map data which is replaced  by gray images, you can lock the compass and re-enter the camera again. There is a Bug that the map can not show the map data when you free the compass in an iPad. This bug has been fixed in DJI GO 4.1.7.
2017-8-27
Use props
Milosbgd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67142 ft
Serbia

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-15 11:08
Hi,

I presume that it has to be all connected RC and AC to be able to see Offline Maps in the Menu, because When you just open DJI GO 4 App and tap the three lines in the corner there is no OFFLINE MAPS option in the menu, Without connection drone and Rc there is only SCAN QR code, Academy, Flight records, GEO Zone and Find My Drone . I wander is it going to show that feature when its all connected.?
2018-4-12
Use props
Almar T. Estremos
lvl.1

Philippines

Gud day pls..help my spark  didn't have GPS signal even if I go to.open area how can I get GPS signal pls..?
2019-4-20
Use props
Almar T. Estremos
lvl.1

Philippines

Gud day pls..help my spark  didn't have GPS signal even if I go to.open area how can I get GPS signal pls..?
2019-4-20
Use props
Almar T. Estremos
lvl.1

Philippines

2019-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules