1576 21 2017-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I'm flying today and I'm on my way back, I get to about 150 feet out 80 feet up with 25% battery and the Smart RTH is kicking in. I let it go just to see what happens.  Well it first does a slow accent to my 500 foot RTH setting then flies 150 feet to home position then decends using a ton of battery.  This is more dangerous then if I just returned home which would have been 1 minute, insread it burned 5 minutes.

Similar situation on a Waypoint mission. I'm flying back to home at 33 mph, Smart RTH kicks in and then returns me at 20 mph.

Please please please DJI let us that want to DISABLE SMART RTH!!!

2017-8-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

If I am not mistaken, all you have to do is turn "off" the "smart return home" feature. I have mine turned off.
2017-8-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-15 14:26
If I am not mistaken, all you have to do is turn "off" the "smart return home" feature. I have mine turned off.

Yes you can, if rc signal is lost, you can have RTH turned off   
2017-8-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The big worry is that you set a 500 ft RTH height.
That would seem to be excessive and will always chew up a lot of battery whenever RTH cuts in.
Set a realistic RTH height to clear whatever obstacles are likely to be between you and the Phantom/
2017-8-15
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've given you the solution.. now you need to try it! If it doesn't work (it will) it costs you nothing to return the device, and you... Move On. If it does work (it will) then you will be happy and you can.... Move On!

FWIW... I flew 2 Litchi missions today, both were fairly complex with numerous altitude changes etc. Each mission completed successfully, and each took the P4P battery to:

Mission1 completed battery = 25%
Mission2 completed battery = 21%

RTH did NOT kick in on either mission - images / video captured in it's entirety.

Good Luck!

2017-8-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-15 15:46
I've given you the solution.. now you need to try it! If it doesn't work (it will) it costs you nothing to return the device, and you... Move On. If it does work (it will) then you will be happy and you can.... Move On!

You need to have the smart RTH turned off otherwise it will abort the mission if it thinks it is in trouble. I have experienced this first hand. Turning off smart RTH avoids Litchi from initiating the RTH.
2017-8-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Change the mode of your P4 to Sports or Atti then back, it will stop - and I do believe that you can hit the Red stop sign with an X in it when that happens.. And 500 feet - above the recommended height in every country in the world - more of a chance of smashing into an aircraft at that height than anything else.. You decided to let go and see what it would do, you have your answer - now you know what would happen if you had a heart attack.. Your Phantom would most likely survive lol..
2017-8-15
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-15 16:37
You need to have the smart RTH turned off otherwise it will abort the mission if it thinks it is in trouble. I have experienced this first hand. Turning off smart RTH avoids Litchi from initiating the RTH.

Ricardo thank you. He (we), know this. The problem is DJI removed the Smart RTH toggle in the app for the P4P on the last firmware update.

I'm not going to delve into the entire ordeal once again. My message was to him that there is a simple resolution, and he won't have to worry any further.

Thanks!
2017-8-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-8-15 17:31
Change the mode of your P4 to Sports or Atti then back, it will stop - and I do believe that you can hit the Red stop sign with an X in it when that happens.. And 500 feet - above the recommended height in every country in the world - more of a chance of smashing into an aircraft at that height than anything else.. You decided to let go and see what it would do, you have your answer - now you know what would happen if you had a heart attack.. Your Phantom would most likely survive lol..

Aloha Mobil,

Call me babooze!  I was so caught up in his problem, I did not catch why it sounded like something else was wrong with his problem until you noted it.  Good catch!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-16
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-15 17:51
Ricardo thank you. He (we), know this. The problem is DJI removed the Smart RTH toggle in the app for the P4P on the last firmware update.

I'm not going to delve into the entire ordeal once again. My message was to him that there is a simple resolution, and he won't have to worry any further.

Ok, fair enough! I understand now. Didn't realize they removed it from the new app. Sorry for jumping in there.
2017-8-16
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There is nothing stopping you from flying it manually once RTH starts.  Want to abort the rise?  Just push the stick forward.  It then completes the second phase of the RTH -- level flight.  If it is too slow for you, push the stick forward again and it will travel at maximum speed.  Not always the best thing to do, demanding full power when it initialized a RTH on low battery...

I'd also double-check that 500 figure.  Aside from being outrageously high  (20-50 is usually enough), last time I looked it was actually in meters.
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-15 14:26

They took that feature away a while back..at least for P4P
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-15 15:27
The big worry is that you set a 500 ft RTH height.
That would seem to be excessive and will always chew up a lot of battery whenever RTH cuts in.
Set a realistic RTH height to clear whatever obstacles are likely to be between you and the Phantom/

Well in the area I fly there is a big bridge...I need to be sure if I lose signal on the other side of it I can come back without hitting it.
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-15 14:58
Yes you can, if rc signal is lost, you can have RTH turned off

Im talking SMART RTH
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-15 15:46

I always fly litchi and Smart RTH kicks in there. They have been trying to get DJI to let them turn it off with no luck.
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-15 17:51

What is your resolution? All I saw you said was you fly Litchi. I do to..this happened in Litchi!!!
2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-8-16 08:44
There is nothing stopping you from flying it manually once RTH starts.  Want to abort the rise?  Just push the stick forward.  It then completes the second phase of the RTH -- level flight.  If it is too slow for you, push the stick forward again and it will travel at maximum speed.  Not always the best thing to do, demanding full power when it initialized a RTH on low battery...

I'd also double-check that 500 figure.  Aside from being outrageously high  (20-50 is usually enough), last time I looked it was actually in meters.

Again I'm referring to missions that stop perhaps sometimes when you are out of range...second the 500 foot RTH was because I was flying near a bridge that had a 400+ Foot Span so was being careful.

Yes I set the meters to 153 which is 500 feet!!!
2017-8-16
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-8-16 10:16
What is your resolution? All I saw you said was you fly Litchi. I do to..this happened in Litchi!!!

I don't have an answer for you. I have a P3A, and was just explaining what I had done. I am still on older firmware and app version, and will not upgrade for that reason. I was unaware about DJI removing the option in the new firmware/app. Sorry, I know you already know this but I was just trying to respond to your message. It  sounds like Gulfstream has contacted you with a solution. Good luck.
Man, I feel for all of you guys with the P4 that are having these problems. I have pondered buying a newer machine, but at this point my P3A will go anywhere I want it to without any restrictions....I think I'll stick with my Old-Reliable until something really different comes out. Good luck to all of you!
2017-8-16
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-8-16 10:16

Nevermind. I've explained it (the solution) to you three times, and you keep asking the same question. There is a disconnect - sorry I'm unable to help. Happy flying!

2017-8-16
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-8-16 11:49
Nevermind. I've explained it (the solution) to you three times, and you keep asking the same question. There is a disconnect - sorry I'm unable to help. Happy flying!

Only asked you once, not sure why you quoted my message twice then said I keep asking you.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The request has been forwarded to our engineers and hopefully they will consider it in the future.
2017-8-17
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-17 04:13
The request has been forwarded to our engineers and hopefully they will consider it in the future.

What I don't understand Susan is it was always there..Why remove it and to make matters worse they only removed it for the P4P..
2017-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules