Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I upgrade latest Mavic firmware if I have Android phone?
1414 9 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zoutv1
Flight distance : 174738 ft

United States

Hello all - I will be getting a Mavic Pro today, used (I saved about $450 by getting used!).  I have downloaded the DJI GO 4 app for my Galaxy S7 w/ Android 6.0.1 operating system.  When looking at the reviews of the app for my phone, they were to say the least, attrocious.  Constant loss of signal, disconnects or app crashing.  Do you know if the latest firmware for the mavic improves any of this?  Would you not bother upgrading the firmware on the device if these phone specs?   Also updating the software for the remote controller?  Yes, no?
2017-8-16
Use props
amima42
lvl.3
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Drone and RC firmware does not affect the performance of DJI GO 4 app. The app performs terribly on Samsung Galaxy S7 (especially the latest app updates), but you can upgrade firmware without any risk to make it worse. App just provides an interface, the drone itself works fine.
2017-8-16
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have a Samsung S7, latest Android OS 7 update was August 1, 2017 to build ...BQG1, Mavic Pro Firmware v 01.03.09 with DJI GO4 v 4.1.5 and since then I have been running without any problems.  I changed the phone settings:  DISPLAY > MODE to BASIC as well as DISPLAY > RESOLUTION to 1920 x 1080.  That solved most of my problems in earlier versions as well as this.  Samsung has a note that pops up when you switch to fancy display modes and higher resolutions that some apps may not work and it will drain the battery faster (ie. more processing being done).  Samsung takes the latest Android OS updates and then tweaks them for their special features before releasing it.  My phone still says I am on 7.0, but they have done about 3 updates since then.  Your Mavic does best when you have lots of processing power to feed it's massive requirements.  I also turn off wifi and blu tooth when I fly.  Some turn on Airplane mode.  Hope this helps.
2017-8-16
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Keep in mind that if you have a problem with a video disconnect or app disconnect you are still in control via the RC and can fly it back or use RTH (if you have a good home point) to bring it back.  In earlier iteratiions of firmware and GO 4 app, I did have problems.  However, almost all were fixed with Display changes I posted on #3 in this thread.  It has been exceptionally stable since the last Android OS update.  If you are a beginner don't fly to far away and practice flying gong forward and turning with yaw.  Then spin it  for a moment with eyes closed and practice bringing it back when you don't know which way it is pointing.  If the phone display goes away, hover, and then close and reopen Go4.
2017-8-16
Use props
zoutv1
Flight distance : 174738 ft

United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-8-16 06:20
I have a Samsung S7, latest Android OS 7 update was August 1, 2017 to build ...BQG1, Mavic Pro Firmware v 01.03.09 with DJI GO4 v 4.1.5 and since then I have been running without any problems.  I changed the phone settings:  DISPLAY > MODE to BASIC as well as DISPLAY > RESOLUTION to 1920 x 1080.  That solved most of my problems in earlier versions as well as this.  Samsung has a note that pops up when you switch to fancy display modes and higher resolutions that some apps may not work and it will drain the battery faster (ie. more processing being done).  Samsung takes the latest Android OS updates and then tweaks them for their special features before releasing it.  My phone still says I am on 7.0, but they have done about 3 updates since then.  Your Mavic does best when you have lots of processing power to feed it's massive requirements.  I also turn off wifi and blu tooth when I fly.  Some turn on Airplane mode.  Hope this helps.

Did you ever try running the app when your phone OS was version 6.x?  I keep on getting prompted to upgrade my phone OS by Verizon for months now, but I'm leary to upgrade.  This might force me though.

Thanks for the tips!!
2017-8-16
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

zoutv1 Posted at 2017-8-16 07:26
Did you ever try running the app when your phone OS was version 6.x?  I keep on getting prompted to upgrade my phone OS by Verizon for months now, but I'm leary to upgrade.  This might force me though.

Thanks for the tips!!

I would upgrade the firmware on the phone, as it has features you will probably want.  I am a little surprised it is not already OS 7.0.  Lots of times those are fixes to security weaknesses, performance issues etc.  My wife also has a Samsung S7 and it is also upgraded and works fine.  Our Samsung  Galaxy S2 10 inch tablet also works well and is Android 7.0.

Go to phone settings and ABOUT PHONE to see what Android Version you are.  By the way that is where you can personalize the name of your phone (I just added my first name in front of the model).

Then in Settings check System Update.  It will tell you your last system update and when it was applied.  You can also see update history (mine Jun 29 2017 and Aug 1 2017).  

You might go to Youtube and look at Drone Valley on recent DJI drones and Android/Apple phone/tablets.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i think that many app issues are actually phone issues. Not to say there aren,t app issues but this sofware is quickly fixed by dji when brought to their attention. Persistant problems, like 'persistant app problems' i think are usually more to the devise. I had a samsung tab - great on many levels but sometimes falls a bit short of ideal - now got a sonyz3 which is hugely better all round. i stand corrected but it appears that samsung limitations are behind some of the trouble that gets blamed on the app.
2017-8-16
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i also noticed terrible reviews to the point of being really surprised how bad the rating is - but i update with each new upgrade and touch wood , i have not yet experianced any app issues that i was aware of or have seemed to affect me.
2017-8-16
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

The firmware isnt new - its been out 2 months.  It works fine, android or otherwise.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We always recommend that users upgrade the latest firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright.

2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules