Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Glow area seen in video when sun to back of drone
4269 10 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmpeters
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135755 ft
United States

I have shot a number of still images recently and a few videos.  One issue that seems to plague the P4P camera is the appearance of a halo or "bright spot" when the sun is to the back of the drone.  I am not sure if I am seeing some type of light leak or if the camera is capturing a reflection off the white landing gear.  It does not appear consitently in the same place, so I don't suspect the sensor being a root cause.  It does show whever the sun is to the back of the drone only.  Has anyone else seen this happen?
2017-8-16
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This is typical, nothing you can do about, just avoid shooting with sun directly behind. Not too nice image anyway in this configuration due to the lack of contrasting shadows.
2017-8-16
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Best seen on fresh young grass, caused by the sunlight reflecting off the grass blades directly back to the drone.   Nothing wrong with the drone, if you were in the same location then your eyes would see it too, but not many airports use a grass runway these days.
2017-8-16
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Can you share couple images?
2017-8-16
Use props
Kuya Kano
First Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Been there, done that.  Light has its way of refracting itself from the must peculiar sources and angles.  This is why big film crews have people holding up light diffusers and such big boy film equipment.  It isn't a drone issue or a P4P issue.  The idea of a light diffuser around the camera would be cool, but impractical at 32mph.  This is one of the reasons why I film my shots in multiple takes when I can.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's the shadow of the AC.  When you're close to the ground, you can see the shadow.  As you move away from the ground, the shadow gets smaller and smaller.   Finally the shadow is too small to see but the edges of the shadow converge into the same spot and appear as a brightness in video.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-8-16 13:02
It's the shadow of the AC.  When you're close to the ground, you can see the shadow.  As you move away from the ground, the shadow gets smaller and smaller.   Finally the shadow is too small to see but the edges of the shadow converge into the same spot and appear as a brightness in video.

There is nothing you can do about this effect. It has a name, Heiligenschein, and happens to all cameras when the sun is behind the camera.
2017-8-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-16 14:17
There is nothing you can do about this effect. ....

You can fly with the shadow out of the camera view!

You can fly close to the ground and see the shadow instead of the glow!

You can fly on a cloudy day!

You can fly at night!

I'll think up some more examples and post 'em later  

2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As discussed above, please try to avoid shooting with sun behind.
2017-8-16
Use props
dmpeters
lvl.1
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-8-16 08:37
This is typical, nothing you can do about, just avoid shooting with sun directly behind. Not too nice image anyway in this configuration due to the lack of contrasting shadows.

It was just a sample video to try and capture the effect.
2017-8-21
Use props
dmpeters
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-16 14:17
There is nothing you can do about this effect. It has a name, Heiligenschein, and happens to all cameras when the sun is behind the camera.

Thanks.  This is probably the best explanation given  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenschein
2017-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules