DJI Mavic firmware update - killed the battery
6313 19 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30259 ft
United States

I recently was asked to update the firmware on my mavic and the battery got stuck with the middle 2 lights on. Was not able to run off the battery at all. I called the customer support immediately to ask for help and they asked me to discharge the battery and charge it again. I did the same!

Discharged fully and then tried to charge. Now the battery wont charge anything more than the first light. Even if its plugged in the whole night. The battery is completely screwed now.

When I called the tech support now they ask me to purchase a new battery because my battery is older than 6 months. This is insane! Its not my fault neither spil/drop and DJI now wants me to purchase a new battery for a messed up firmaware they release?

DOes anyone else faced this issue? Based on other forum, I cant try changing the voltage on remote or reset using Assistant2 as my battery wont even turn on the aircraft anymore
Please help!!
2017-8-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Next time they ask, say no! All you have to do is,when ever you fly,put your device in airplane mode. Problem solved.....
2017-8-16
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-16 10:25
Next time they ask, say no! All you have to do is,when ever you fly,put your device in airplane mode. Problem solved.....

My experience has been if the aircraft/remote firmware is updated and you connect to the aircraft, it will update the battery firmware (if it needs it) whether you are connected to the internet or not.  I always fly in airplane mode and my batteries always update this way.
2017-8-16
Use props
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
United States

More than that, I feel like this is ridiculous thing to  lose my battery for something that's not my mistake or I violated something DJI recommended for an update...
2017-8-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Droneachaarya Posted at 2017-8-16 11:18
More than that, I feel like this is ridiculous thing to  lose my battery for something that's not my mistake or I violated something DJI recommended for an update...

Support blows, so have insurance on it & also do this:

Fire up the Mavic (with that 'bad' battery in it) and the R/C (do not connect or use your phone - just the R/C).  They should be (wirelessly) connected just like you're going flying.  Now connect the upper left R/C connection to a computer & connect via DJI Assistant 2 (latest version).

In Assistant, you'll see where it'll say the version for the R/C & connected UAV (the Mavic).  Do a firmware REFRESH now.  It'll be successful AND FIX YOUR BATTERY.  Have fun & PM me if you ever need help.
2017-8-16
Use props
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-16 13:32

Fire up the Mavic (with that 'bad' battery in it) and the R/C (do not connect or use your phone - just the R/C).  They should be (wirelessly) connected just like you're going flying.  Now connect the upper left R/C connection to a computer & connect via DJI Assistant 2 (latest version).

Thanks. Appreciate it.. The problem I've is after discharge the battery wont eve charge enough to power up my Drone. The battery simply shows one light ON forever. When I put it on Mavic - nothing happens
2017-8-16
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Batteries have 6 month with max 200 charge. So start your ticket!
2017-8-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Droneachaarya Posted at 2017-8-16 13:59
Thanks. Appreciate it.. The problem I've is after discharge the battery wont eve charge enough to power up my Drone. The battery simply shows one light ON forever. When I put it on Mavic - nothing happens

Try charging the battery for 4 hours despite the lights it gives you.  See if it takes any charge.

Support gave me the cold shoulder, as well.  This was my fix.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please try to keep the battery in charging for 1-2 hours, then mount the battery to the aircraft, connect your drone to the computer and try to upgrade it via DJI Assistant 2 again. The middle 2 LED lights will keep lighting and the power button of the battery will not work until the upgrade is successful. If the battery has no reaction, it might be over-discharged, if the battery is out of warranty period, sorry to say you need to change another battery.
2017-8-16
Use props
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-16 19:09
Please try to keep the battery in charging for 1-2 hours, then mount the battery to the aircraft, connect your drone to the computer and try to upgrade it via DJI Assistant 2 again. The middle 2 LED lights will keep lighting and the power button of the battery will not work until the upgrade is successful. If the battery has no reaction, it might be over-discharged, if the battery is out of warranty period, sorry to say you need to change another battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZE-fP28htI&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&index=9

Thanks for taking time to find something that is obvious. The step that you do with a fancy new aircraft at 1:06 in the video is no more possible with my battery because it wouldn't charge even after charging for 8 hrs.
And thanks to the awesome phone tech support who asked me to discharge the battery fully, when it was actually alive and now talking about the over discharge crap after its dead...
2017-8-17
Use props
Droneachaarya
lvl.1
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-16 15:46
Try charging the battery for 4 hours despite the lights it gives you.  See if it takes any charge.

Unfortunately no... I tried twice overnight charging. But no luck...
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Droneachaarya Posted at 2017-8-17 07:08
Thanks for taking time to find something that is obvious. The step that you do with a fancy new aircraft at 1:06 in the video is no more possible with my battery because it wouldn't charge even after charging for 8 hrs.
And thanks to the awesome phone tech support who asked me to discharge the battery fully, when it was actually alive and now talking about the over discharge crap after its dead...

Fully discharge and charge to full is a way for troubleshooting, if the battery has no issue, it will be charged even after discharge. If I am in your position, I will also be really frustrated, but the battery is out of warranty period, we don't have other options to deal with your battery. Thanks for your understanding.
2017-8-18
Use props
Dronadicto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181253 ft
Peru

I have a pretty similar problem, my battery was bricked after the firmware update, I am still on warranty period but I can't send the battery.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-102853-1-1.html
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Dronadicto Posted at 2017-8-18 07:52
I have a pretty similar problem, my battery was bricked after the firmware update, I am still on warranty period but I can't send the battery.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-102853-1-1.html

Sorry for the inconvenience. But as we had replied to your thread, you need to send the battery back and we will take care of it. If you don't send the battery back, I am afraid that there is nothing we can help. Or please report your situation to the support team to see whether we could help. Thanks for your understanding.
2017-8-19
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-16 15:46

This worked for me as well, the battery light won't change in status (still 2 centre lights flashing), but when I restarted the firmware upgrade from scratch it reset the battery back to normal. I was using the DJI Assistant on a pc
2017-8-19
Use props
fans41ebcafb
New
Hong Kong

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-16 13:32

Hi, where on the dji site is assistant? I can't find it. Cheers
2017-8-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

fans41ebcafb Posted at 2017-8-23 00:26
Hi, where on the dji site is assistant? I can't find it. Cheers

It is located here

http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
BTW updated to FW 1.03.1000 did the AC & Controller seperately using Assistant 2 and had no issues everything OK
2017-8-23
Use props
Desmond Phee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1922316 ft
Malaysia

I just update my Mavic Pro + RC + 3 unit batteries yesterday. So far no problem on my batteries. I use Assistant 2 update the Mavic with full charge battery (1st battery). After this change to 2nd and 3rd battery, the battery only have 30% power. After 2nd and 3rd battery updated to latest firmware. I charge the 2nd and 3rd battery to full charge. So far no problem on charging battery with new firmware. lastly, I updated my RC.

My suggestion:

1.) Fully charge your battery (especially 1st battery), because mavic firmware update take some time and the firmware size is 200MB++ . Change the 2nd and 3rd battery after Mavic complete success updated with 1st battery. Make sure you still connect to Assistant 2  when change to other battery and power on Mavic. The battery firmware update notice will come out.

2.) Fully charge your Remote control, before update the firmware for RC.

3.) Reset all your Mavic setting after firmware update. Make sure the setting like RHT and other safety feature are properly setup.

4.) Do the calibration for gimbal, compass and IMU if you want. check the status after calibration, make sure the value are correct (near to 0.000 is ideal).

5.) Reboot your Mavic and RC. Check all the sensor status before you fly. Make sure no error on Mavic + RC and battery after new firmware update and fly safe.

Remember after update new firmware, your setting maybe reset to factory default**
2017-8-24
Use props
Desmond Phee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1922316 ft
Malaysia

I just update my Mavic Pro + RC + 3 unit batteries yesterday. So far no problem on my batteries. I use Assistant 2 update the Mavic with full charge battery (1st battery). After this change to 2nd and 3rd battery, the battery only have 30% power. After 2nd and 3rd battery updated to latest firmware. I charge the 2nd and 3rd battery to full charge. So far no problem on charging battery with new firmware. lastly, I update my RC.

My suggestion:

1.) Fully charge your battery (especially 1st battery), because mavic firmware update take some time and the firmware size is 200MB++ . Change the 2nd and 3rd battery after Mavic complete success updated with 1st battery. Make sure you still connect to Assistant 2  when change to other battery and power on Mavic. The battery firmware update notice will come out.

2.) Fully charge your Remote control, before update the firmware for RC.

3.) Reset all your Mavic setting after firmware update. Make sure the setting like RHT and other safety feature are properly setup.

4.) Do the calibration for gimbal, compass and IMU if you want. check the status after calibration, make sure the value are correct (near to 0.000 is ideal).

5.) Reboot your Mavic and RC. Check all the sensor status before you fly. Make sure no error on Mavic + RC and battery after new firmware update and fly safe.

Remember after update new firmware, your setting maybe reset to factory default**
2017-8-24
Use props
fans665f41e4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1644715 ft
United States

I had the exact same issue w my battery. One of my batteries stopped working after the update.  I called dji they said the battery is under warranty for 6 mos then told me to buy a new battery. I'm no rocket scientist but I know batteries don't just suddenly die, they dissipate. I plan on just leaving the battery for a few weeks and maybe it will discharge. I KNOW I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DRONE FROM DJI. I've never experienced Sooooo many issues and lack of customer service in my life!
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules