Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Question for DJI Tech Support re: Firmware issue
12Next >
2955 43 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

Should we wait for the update to the last firware v02.00.0106 before drawing any conclusions? Like many here, I won't fly my P4 until the issue is fixed. Tech support is requesting that I send mine in for repair. It's not the P4...it flew great an hour before I installed the firmware. So my question is, as many others are asking too is "Should we be patient and wait for a confirmed firmware fix?" Will there be a fix and approximately when will it be? I'd rather wait than send mine in for repair.
Thanks in advance,
John
2017-8-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha John,

There is a problem?  I am having no problem with my P4 running v02.00.0106 on Android.  What is your problem?  Have you checked for apps running in the background or downloading apps while trying to fly?  This competes for RAM and processor time.  DJI GO 4 is a very demanding app and gets more demanding with each app and firmware update or upgrade.  Are you using an approved device?

DJI cannot come out with a fix for your device no longer being able to handle the app and firmware.  You will have to get your device operating efficiently or get a better device.  Unless you actually can demonstrate a problem, and no one has done so yet, you will have to solve your problem by the means noted.  Have you tried Litchi yet?

Have you tested your system in Airplane Mode?  There are also HD options if your problem warrants it.  You could be waiting forever if you think DJI will be able to solve your problem due to your device.  The Litchi solution allows you time to buy a new device if you want to fly DJI GO 4.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Pvt, could you please tell us the problem you encountered? We will see if we can help you remotely.
2017-8-16
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-16 18:45
Pvt, could you please tell us the problem you encountered? We will see if we can help you remotely.

The problem I'm experiencing is the same as many here have said and that's erratic and unstable flying. It's almost like the the pitch and yaw are fighting each other. It happens mostly while straight and level at high speed in P mode, not noticed in S mode. Descents are very unstable and wobbely. I use an iPad Air, all other apps off and WiFi off. I've refreshed the firmware via Assistant 2, reformatted the SD card, calibrated IMU, sensors and Remote control. Range is okay, it's the erratic flying characteristics since I did the update one week ago. It flew perfectly prior to that. I also get a high wind warning when it's completely calm too.
2017-8-16
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-16 18:45

Hoping  for your reply soon Mindy.
Thank you,
John
2017-8-17
Use props
KevlarJeep
lvl.1
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-16 20:24
The problem I'm experiencing is the same as many here have said and that's erratic and unstable flying. It's almost like the the pitch and yaw are fighting each other. It happens mostly while straight and level at high speed in P mode, not noticed in S mode. Descents are very unstable and wobbely. I use an iPad Air, all other apps off and WiFi off. I've refreshed the firmware via Assistant 2, reformatted the SD card, calibrated IMU, sensors and Remote control. Range is okay, it's the erratic flying characteristics since I did the update one week ago. It flew perfectly prior to that. I also get a high wind warning when it's completely calm too.

I'm having some of the same issues.  Been fighting it for the last few weeks and finally decided to check the forums.

Mindy, I hope you can help solve these issues.  My P4 has erratic movements while in hover.  It also does not reduce altitude when trying to land.  I lowers slowly with the control stick all the way down, then just drops, even if the control stick is centered again.

I would like to say thank you for this thread staying professional.  I understand issues with software and firmware development.  I will be patient, but really want to get to flying my P4 again.

Thank you.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the experience with our product, we have received the same feedback from other customers and our engineers are working on locating the problem, please leave us some time, thanks for your understanding.
2017-8-17
Use props
SkyCapt
New
United States

I had exact same experience tonight that you described! Holy crap what an awful and helpless feeling to see my 1500 dollar drone almost disappear! Had to crash land it which cracked a leg on it.
2017-8-17
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-17 21:06
Sorry for the experience with our product, we have received the same feedback from other customers and our engineers are working on locating the problem, please leave us some time, thanks for your understanding.

DJI-Mindy. It's now been nearly one and a half months since these problems were first reported. How much extra time do the developers need to fix their own mistakes? We have been told to "be patient" for over a month.
2017-8-17
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-16 16:48
Aloha John,

There is a problem?  I am having no problem with my P4 running v02.00.0106 on Android.  What is your problem?  Have you checked for apps running in the background or downloading apps while trying to fly?  This competes for RAM and processor time.  DJI GO 4 is a very demanding app and gets more demanding with each app and firmware update or upgrade.  Are you using an approved device?

Cetacean, what's your diagnosis of the 4K video reset issue? I'm guessing from your optimistic post that you have no issues recording 4k @ 30fps?
2017-8-18
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5256 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-17 21:06

Going past 6 weeks is way too long!!! Official Rollback or Buyback!
2017-8-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-18 11:16
Cetacean, what's your diagnosis of the 4K video reset issue? I'm guessing from your optimistic post that you have no issues recording 4k @ 30fps?

Aloha COK,

Actually, 4K@30 FPS is my normal recording setting and I have not had any problems with it at all.  Is there a problem with that setting?  Now there are two 4K recording ratio levels, 4:3 and 16:9.  I think I just changed mine to 16:9 (I forget which bird) and there are still no problems.  The last I heard was there was a problem with a 120 FPS setting in 2K (I think) but that was a while back.  It was fixed in the next firmware update, possibly by removing the over-enthusiastic option.

I like the 4K settings because I can pull images at will and they are almost always very high resolution and editable.  I have never had to reset my cameras.  My P3P, P4 and P4 Pro all use 4K @30 FPS when I fly and no problems so far.  My firmware is up-to-date as often as I can.

Have you tried any of my suggestions from post #2?  That is what I fly.  It appears that I am lucky and live in an area with minimal to average interference.  I am able to up my bitrate in HD Custom now.  But that is not a recording issue.

Usually, these types of problems are with devices that are not on the supported list, and/or do not have enough RAM or processor strength to use the demanding new firmware.  I notice, very few contributors mention what device they are using when in fact the device is the most important source of problems with firmware updates.  

There appears to be a strong urge to say how their $1500 investment is failing them.  If you pay that much for something, you should support it with peripherals that provide the required supporting role.  If your iOS or Android device no longer works, get one that will work.  Why blame DJI for what is really the flier's responsibility.  I mentioned elsewhere that waiting for DJI to fix what is the customer's responsibility will be a very long wait because it is not going to happen.  Like the 120 FPS issue, DJI will fix it if it is their problem but they cannot fix a problem that is the customer's responsibility to fix.  It just will not work.

Hope this helps!  

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-18
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-18 18:41
Aloha COK,

Actually, 4K@30 FPS is my normal recording setting and I have not had any problems with it at all.  Is there a problem with that setting?  Now there are two 4K recording ratio levels, 4:3 and 16:9.  I think I just changed mine to 16:9 (I forget which bird) and there are still no problems.  The last I heard was there was a problem with a 120 FPS setting in 2K (I think) but that was a while back.  It was fixed in the next firmware update, possibly by removing the over-enthusiastic option.

You keep saying it's the device causing the problems and seem to think we know it is as well. It's not the device.
2017-8-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-18 20:43
You keep saying it's the device causing the problems and seem to think we know it is as well. It's not the device.

Aloha John,

How can you say that?  Yes, many people can suffer the same result of having inadequate devices to run DJI GO 4.  It is demonstrated, or at least reported, daily here on the Forum.  How much time do you spend here on the forum?  How many threads do you read a day?  If you have read half the threads I have, you will notice that those complaining do not like to mention what device they are using, even when you ask them.

The expression of the inadequate device is expressed repeatedly and in the same way.  How can that be hard to understand?  I do not fly approved devices, but my devices are well powered and have plenty of RAM.  I have no problems but I used to.  When I recognized that the problem was from my end, I stopped having problems because I solved my problems and did not wait for DJI to solve problems that are my responsibility.

We are dealing with cutting edge technology.  You have to get involved with your responsibilities and work with DJI to solve problems, including your own problems.  Sorry, but you and others are not off the hook.  It is your problem and you have to solve it yourself.  DJI is happy to work with you, but waiting for DJI to solve your problems will be a very long wait since it is your problem, not DJI's.

The math is very simple.  Solve your problem, get a better device.  Spend the money, the technology is worth it!  The results are amazing.  

Sure some can choose to carve out a static niche that is stable with the older but still amazing technology (because they know how to do it) but they will face the same challenges you and others do if they decide to get out of that niche.  

How come hundreds of thousands of DJI customers have no problems at all since they understand the requirements of the technology and avidly follow DJI instructions?  Then there are a few tens of thousands who have a problem or two and look to DJI or the DJI Forum for answers.  Suddenly, they recognize that they missed a step for forgot a solution and they solve their problem.  Then there are the marginal thousand, or so, who do not have a clue and talk to others with similar problems and find some marginal leadership to protest the fact that they are having a problem.  Many of those discover through the conversations that there is another way - solve your problem.   

So now as many as a thousand are left with no motivation to solve their problem but instead find it easier to blame DJI - they sell the product - right!  A few of those end up here on the Forum in a confrontational stance trying to convince those who are having the time of their life flying wonderful technology that DJI is a bad guy selling an inferior product even though they dominate the marketplace with 60-70 percent of the drone sales.   Do you feel the disconnect here?

Come on man!  Get real!  You have a problem.  Solve it!  If you need help from us we are very happy to help.  For example, I need to find a good replacement for the nVidia Shield K1 which is no longer in production.  The Shield used to be the best possible flying solution for Phantoms.  Now it is gone.  What is the next best solution at the reasonable price of the nVidia Shield K1?  Now that is a real problem!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-18
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-18 23:41
Aloha John,

How can you say that?  Yes, many people can suffer the same result of having inadequate devices to run DJI GO 4.  It is demonstrated, or at least reported, daily here on the Forum.  How much time do you spend here on the forum?  How many threads do you read a day?  If you have read half the threads I have, you will notice that those complaining do not like to mention what device they are using, even when you ask them.

It's not "my" device. I'd by a new one right now if it were a problem. The iPad Air I have has way more than enough RAM. What makes me laugh is that you're so sure it is my device and you didn't even know what I have lol!!! Thanks for trying to help though.
2017-8-19
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.4
New Zealand

Aloha John,

With all due respect, I don't find your replies helpful at all for the simple reason you seem unwilling to actually believe that there could be a problem with DJI's firmware. You do put forward some good arguments re users blaming DJI too quickly, and that could be the case in some instances. However, your insistence that there is not a problem based on your experience and the assumption there are "tens of thousands" of other happy campers is a little dismissive to the elephant in the room.

These forums (and I do visit and read them diligently) are populated with intelligent and rational folk who have updated their devices only to find a raft of issues. I can't believe they are all the type of people that run around in a panic as soon as a problem is detected - credit must be given that at least a few have put in enough troubleshooting to logically conclude the firmware is the most likely cause of the problems.

For me, the firmware updates have gone well, except for the 4k issue. I use an NVidia Shield K1, but I have also tested using an iPad mini 4 and the latest iPad. The 4k issue still occurred. My conclusion is that the onboard software controlling the video recording is to blame in conjunction with the hardware versions within my device. Maybe your internal hardware versions luckily work well with the software.

I have dealt directly with the NZ distributors and they told me not to send in the drone, but to instead wait for the next firmware update. I'm happy to do that - I'm not going around in a blind panic playing a blame game. I'm rationally going to wait and see.

One more thing - you ask if there is a 4k issue, while at the same time intimating that you read the forums regularly. How have you missed the numerous posts and threads that directly address the 4k issue? They are definitely there...I just don't understand how you've missed them!
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-19 05:27
It's not "my" device. I'd by a new one right now if it were a problem. The iPad Air I have has way more than enough RAM. What makes me laugh is that you're so sure it is my device and you didn't even know what I have lol!!! Thanks for trying to help though.

Aloha John,

That is the point.  You ask us to make an evaluation with no information.  But, when information is provided, the problem most often turns out to be the device.

Have you disables all functions that do not involve flying?  Have you tested in Airplane Mode?  Etc.?  This is all important information, yet you and others do not provide it until we have to ask for it.

First off, if you use an iOS device, I do not comment.  Plain and simple.  I try to keep away from iOS devices because they are not worth it to me.  Others can help with iOS devices, but they will usually tell you that your problem is something related to your device.  Your device problems also involve the installation and re-installation of firmware and apps.

Has DJI told you that their engineers are working on your specific problem?  Once I have done all the troubleshooting and determined that I can do not more, then I ask DJI and Forum members.  If they do not have any suggestions (Forum), DJI will usually say that it is a known issue and that the engineers are working on it.  But, this has to be a very specific issue like POI does not work or I cannot follow W, Y, or Z.  If DJI says their engineers are working on a firmware issue in general, you are not off the hook.  Most often, as noted repeatedly here, it is your device and your management and installations.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
QiiFlight
First Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-19 05:27

I have heard the issue is the downward vision sensors. A post by a gentleman on Facebook who turned the VPS off showed that the issue was resolved with the VPS turned off. His post is below:

THIS IS FROM A POST ON FACEBOOK, NOT MY EXPERIENCE!
THE NEW FIRMWARE FIX update
I have just finished testing my findings and it is the downward vision positioning sensors that are causing the issues with the jerky flights and rapid descents and floating. I tried no less than 4 times with it on and off and every time with no wind it was the same when on once turned off it completely went away. For those of you who are concerned about turning it off, these are only the downward sensors it does not turn off the obstacle forward sensors.You will find the toggle in advance settings. I still received a IMU error but it went away when the imu was up and ready.I also received the high wind warning still but it does not affect the flight performance of the bird so until dji comes up with the fix you will have to put up with those things but this bird is stable and flys as it should again — in Durham, North Carolina.
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-19 12:44
With all due respect, I don't find your replies helpful at all for the simple reason you seem unwilling to actually believe that there could be a problem with DJI's firmware. You do put forward some good arguments re users blaming DJI too quickly, and that could be the case in some instances. However, your insistence that there is not a problem based on your experience and the assumption there are "tens of thousands" of other happy campers is a little dismissive to the elephant in the room.

These forums (and I do visit and read them diligently) are populated with intelligent and rational folk who have updated their devices only to find a raft of issues. I can't believe they are all the type of people that run around in a panic as soon as a problem is detected - credit must be given that at least a few have put in enough troubleshooting to logically conclude the firmware is the most likely cause of the problems.

Aloha COK,

Mahalo again for the heads-up in the other thread!  Would it be unfair for me to point out that my problem is a device problem (the same issue I keep harping on).

It was not my intention to cast aspersion on others who are unable to solve their problem.  In actuality, my heart goes out to them because they are not enjoying their bird as it was intended.  I was only trying to put the issues in perspective and motivate others to solve their problems.

I also use the nVidia Shield K1 (Bummer, it has been discontinued).  But, I am not fond of iOS products and do not deal with them, so you actually have an advantage over me in analyzing your problem.  By using the iOS devices, you have been able to isolate your problem into the bird firmware or the RC firmware.  Since the firmware works as designed for other customers, your problem is in the installation.

You need to get a fresh version of the Assistant 2-2 software and delete your existing A 2-2 software.
This will allow you to access fresh firmware that you can use to refresh your bird and RC firmware.  Be sure you delete the whole A 2-2 program for a completely new installation of app and firmware.  Otherwise, you will not have access to fresh firmware.  One of the apps or firmware was not installed properly and that could even be due to failed error correction during download.  There are many reasons but they all require a fresh start with new software.

Hope this helps!  Waiting for DJI to release new firmware only gets you fresh firmware that you could have gotten on your own by trying my suggestions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Aloha John,

Cetacean:

I seemed to have missed some of your plot, sir. What happened to your nVidia K1? Is it no longer usable with the P4 upgrade, or did the dog chew on it?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-8-19
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.4
New Zealand

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-8-19 15:12
Cetacean:

I seemed to have missed some of your plot, sir. What happened to your nVidia K1? Is it no longer usable with the P4 upgrade, or did the dog chew on it?

Don't give up on the K1 yet - mine's playing nicely with DJI Go App 4.1.5. No crashes since July firmware.
2017-8-19
Use props
Otto4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162812 ft
Norway

Cetacean:

i also use the k1 and i have to say that now it works nice but i have downgraded it to android 5.1.1 and routet it to lock it there. i had some issue with the 6.0.1 some are using the 6.0.1 firmware, but mine became slow and hung up .the android 7 cant be used with the dji go 4 app, so for me the 5.1.1 works best.

and i also downgraded the p4 and it too works just perfect just as before
2017-8-19
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Aloha John,

Where have you been man? There is a thread with literally 31 pages of complaints about the most recent p4 firmware http://forum.dji.com/thread-103711-1-1.html. There is even a beta out that is suppose to be working on the problems http://forum.dji.com/thread-108501-1-1.html. You would have to be living in a hole not to know this. How can we tell its not the device? Because it does the same thing when it flies with no device connected. Its firmware man, no doubt about it.
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean:

Aloha Augustus,

The saddest thing!  NVidia has stopped making and selling the nVidia Shield K1.  They support it but no longer sell it.  Major Bummer!

On the up side, CentralOtagoKiwi said his disconnect problems with the K1 stopped after the July updates.  In my own case, I saw much improved behavior but it still disconnected.  Then the other day, I bought Litchi and during installation, I discovered that my apps were back to loading in the background and jamming up the works.  So now there is hope that the Nougat problem may go away!  I see cause for party there!

Everything is going well on my side even though COK has given me more work, but that is part of the fun.  On the latest funny or "Go Figgah!" side of the equation, I have been on a tirade lately that our problems with apps and firmware are due to our devices.  I suppose others could even claim that i was being confrontational about it.  But, look what just happened.  COK noted success with the nVidia issue and my latest experience shows that my only problems are with my apps, etc. loading in the background and otherwise stealing processor time and RAM.  My failure to keep up with my device is causing me problems just like I keep saying to those on the forum with problems!  How they say, "What goes around, comes around!"

In a few minutes, I will be testing Litchi Waypoints to see if it does negative altitude waypoints.  It just rained, gonna let it dry out a bit.

BTW, a friend is working for an engineering company as their drone pilot and was going to get the nVidia Shield K1 for their planned purchase of the P4 Pro.  Do you have any ideas of a substitute tablet that has anywhere near the power/value ratio that the K1 has?

Welcome back!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_YF77GO9
lvl.1

United States

What if its new straight out of box and you do a update and it has a  failure what then
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_YF77GO9
lvl.1

United States

Installed the firmware update like the book said and soon as I did and tried to fly my phantom 4pro it went nuts
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_YF77GO9
lvl.1

United States

Help any one
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-19 17:43
Where have you been man? There is a thread with literally 31 pages of complaints about the most recent p4 firmware http://forum.dji.com/thread-103711-1-1.html. There is even a beta out that is suppose to be working on the problems http://forum.dji.com/thread-108501-1-1.html. You would have to be living in a hole not to know this. How can we tell its not the device? Because it does the same thing when it flies with no device connected. Its firmware man, no doubt about it.

Aloha Duchunter,

Mahalo for the heads-up!  Actually, I do live in a hole.  It is an island in the middle of the Pacific.  We have a very different time zone and some threads escape me when I sign on.  I am half way between you and China.  Six hours away from the East Coast, 12 hours away from Scotland.  Try living here one time and see what it does to communication!  That is why tourists come here, to get away from it all.

There can be 131 pages of commentary on this issue.  It does not change the nature of the beast.  The problem is not with the firmware.  The problem is with the delivery of the firmware.  You guys need to get on the right page.  Hundreds of thousands of us have no problems with the firmware.  Therefore there is no problem with the firmware.  Also, I am not only commenting just on the device, see below for the other side of the argument.  It is not all about the device.  But, it is all about the firmware.  There is no firmware issue.

So what causes the problem?  Delivery and reception of the firmware.  How do we get the firmware?  Through the Internet and DJI Assistant 2.  I recently had a big issue trying to update my P4 to the latest firmware and it would just not update.  Finally, and possibly from this Forum, I realized that I was using an old version of Assistant 2.  Each version of Assistant 2 allows access to different versions of the DJI firmware.  Newer firmware = newer Assistant 2.  It is a maxim with DJI and they say so.  

Assistant 2 allows you to refresh the firmware.  Think refresh = reinstall.  Basically, the entire firmware is reinstalled.  But, you cannot access the right firmware if you are not using the right version of Assistant 2.  The latest version is DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.2-2.  

But, there can still be problems.  During Internet downloads, error correction programs try to make sure the proper software is delivered.  Yes, it works most of the time.  But there can be times when you just need to download the firmware or program again to make up for possible problems in the delivery system.  DJI allows you to reinstall Assistant 2 and refresh firmware.  These are your tools to solve your problem.  The problem is not the firmware.  It works great as hundreds of thousand of us demonstrate every day.  It is the delivery of the software and firmware that has a problem.  You need to solve your problem.

If you do not know where the problem is, you do not know where to look for a solution.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-19 18:47
Aloha Duchunter,

Mahalo for the heads-up!  Actually, I do live in a hole.  It is an island in the middle of the Pacific.  We have a very different time zone and some threads escape me when I sign on.  I am half way between you and China.  Six hours away from the East Coast, 12 hours away from Scotland.  Try living here one time and see what it does to communication!  That is why tourists come here, to get away from it all.

OK, well I downloaded Assistant 2 at the same time I updated the firmware. The install went without a hitch. Everything installed and updated flawlessly. I never had to restart it or do anything crazy. I installed the same firmware or 2 different p4's using the same procedure and the same computer at the same location. One was very unstable and the other flew just fine and was very stable. I did everything exactly the same. I agree that its not the firmware itself exactly. It has something to do with the way the firmware is installed but its not an operator error, its an Assistant 2 error. The fact that most people having problems are having the same exact issues proves that. It is not something that we did wrong. The fact that dji has members testing beta firmware specifically for the purpose of resolving these issues also proves that. It is my opinion that something is preventing some of the data from being written and stored correctly. A certain segment of data is corrupted during the install. Owners have tried installing the firmware in every conceivable fashion with little or no luck. The problem has something to do with the vision system and or OA system. If everyone was having different issues then perhaps it could be user error but the fact that we all experience the same exact issues kinda blows that theory out of the water. This is undoubtedly an issue with the latest firmware installation. These issues have been reported in every dji group and forum that I frequent and everyone has the same story, unstable flight, weak video stream, camera/gimbal reset recording in 4k. Those that have rolled back to 0602 report that the rollback resolves the issues. Im sorry but its just not user caused problem. Its a dji caused problem. If there was a way to resolve it using the current firmware then someone would have figured it out by now but so far the only fix is rolling back to earlier firmware.
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_YF77GO9
lvl.1

United States

Did iv been flying drone for years and had no problems until this pease of junk it was straight out of the box it worked fine till it asked for a update and then when it was installed it went nuts
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_YF77GO9
lvl.1

United States

Sooooooooo true Duchunter
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-19 19:47
OK, well I downloaded Assistant 2 at the same time I updated the firmware. The install went without a hitch. Everything installed and updated flawlessly. I never had to restart it or do anything crazy. I installed the same firmware or 2 different p4's using the same procedure and the same computer at the same location. One was very unstable and the other flew just fine and was very stable. I did everything exactly the same. I agree that its not the firmware itself exactly. It has something to do with the way the firmware is installed but its not an operator error, its an Assistant 2 error. The fact that most people having problems are having the same exact issues proves that. It is not something that we did wrong. The fact that dji has members testing beta firmware specifically for the purpose of resolving these issues also proves that. It is my opinion that something is preventing some of the data from being written and stored correctly. A certain segment of data is corrupted during the install. Owners have tried installing the firmware in every conceivable fashion with little or no luck. The problem has something to do with the vision system and or OA system. If everyone was having different issues then perhaps it could be user error but the fact that we all experience the same exact issues kinda blows that theory out of the water. This is undoubtedly an issue with the latest firmware installation. These issues have been reported in every dji group and forum that I frequent and everyone has the same story, unstable flight, weak video stream, camera/gimbal reset recording in 4k. Those that have rolled back to 0602 report that the rollback resolves the issues. Im sorry but its just not user caused problem. Its a dji caused problem. If there was a way to resolve it using the current firmware then someone would have figured it out by now but so far the only fix is rolling back to earlier firmware.

Aloha Duchunter,

Mahalo for supporting my comments.  I am not saying that it is a user caused problem.  I am saying that it is a user solvable problem.  We are a do it yourself type of hobby or occupation.  As you have noted, DJI is doing their best to resolve the issue from their end.  This is how it should work.

Those without the patience to see the problem through should roll back to 0602.  This technology is intimidating and no one likes to admit they are intimidated.  I get intimidated all the time.  When I get intimidated, I try harder, but that is just the way I am.  To deal with cutting edge technology, you cannot allow the technology to intimidate you, but none-the-less, cutting edge technology is very intimidating.

Mahalo again for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-8-19 14:03
I have heard the issue is the downward vision sensors. A post by a gentleman on Facebook who turned the VPS off showed that the issue was resolved with the VPS turned off. His post is below:

Thanks. I saw other posts suggesting that and I did try it with no luck. I'll try it again to be sure I disabled VPS and not obstacle avoidance.
2017-8-19
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-8-19 14:03

That may have been one person's observation but many people (including myself) have also reported that they tried turning off the downward vision sensors and also the forward vision cameras and it made no difference at all to the jerky flights. My best guess is that the issue is something to do with the IMU which makes sense because, in this firmware version, they changed the entire IMU calibration process.
2017-8-19
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-19 20:50
Aloha Duchunter,

Mahalo for supporting my comments.  I am not saying that it is a user caused problem.  I am saying that it is a user solvable problem.  We are a do it yourself type of hobby or occupation.  As you have noted, DJI is doing their best to resolve the issue from their end.  This is how it should work.

Im not in the least bit intimidated. My p4 is under warranty and insured so whatever happens im covered. As there is no approved rollback option most people still covered under their warranty dont have a rollback option as dji states that a 3rd party rollback will void your warranty and nobody wants that. If it was as simple as operator error or having the wrong assistant 2 version then we have figured it out by now. Im sorry but it just isnt something that we can resolve ourselves. There are 31 pages of discussion on the matter and MANY other threads discussing the issue. We dont know why some p4's are effected and some are not. If I updated my 2 p4's incorrectly, which I dont see how that is possible, then dji would tell us what it is were doing wrong. Many people have sent in flight logs. Its been well over a month with hundreds, if not thousands of people reporting the same issues. If it was something simple then dji would have a solution by now. It doesnt matter is you use the Assistant 2 app or the go4 app to update, the problems still occur. To say that we could fix this ourselves by updating it properly when you werent even aware of what the problem is is just an asinine statement. Im sorry but you just cant do the update incorrectly. It either updates or it doesnt. If it does then you did it right, if it doesnt then perhaps you did something wrong. When it says that the update is complete then the update is complete and thats just the way it is.
2017-8-20
Use props
fansb6e07ce9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38586 ft
United Kingdom

At the risk of irritating many of the contributors to this forum I have to report almost negligible problems with my P4 since carrying out the latest firmware update.  For what it is worth I used both Asst 2 (upgraded) and GO 4 (upgraded) and updates went reasonably smoothly.  I use a cheap Android  Alcatel Pixi 3 10" tablet - the only reason being that the drone vendor recommended it and at that time I did not know it was not on the dji `approved list`..Not surprisingly the upgrade process was rather daunting in view of  the negative reports posted.  My experience on the first flight was that the drone was weaving slightly in the hover (as reported many times by others).  An IMU calibration was carried out and no others.  To my relief the P4 was restored to its previous performance.  i have since checked out all the new features less waypoints and am entirely satisfied with my experience of these and am grateful for the new options like Tripod .  The frequent high wind warning is probably set too low and perhaps should be adjusted somewhere.  
2017-8-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-8-20 05:13
Im not in the least bit intimidated. My p4 is under warranty and insured so whatever happens im covered. As there is no approved rollback option most people still covered under their warranty dont have a rollback option as dji states that a 3rd party rollback will void your warranty and nobody wants that. If it was as simple as operator error or having the wrong assistant 2 version then we have figured it out by now. Im sorry but it just isnt something that we can resolve ourselves. There are 31 pages of discussion on the matter and MANY other threads discussing the issue. We dont know why some p4's are effected and some are not. If I updated my 2 p4's incorrectly, which I dont see how that is possible, then dji would tell us what it is were doing wrong. Many people have sent in flight logs. Its been well over a month with hundreds, if not thousands of people reporting the same issues. If it was something simple then dji would have a solution by now. It doesnt matter is you use the Assistant 2 app or the go4 app to update, the problems still occur. To say that we could fix this ourselves by updating it properly when you werent even aware of what the problem is is just an asinine statement. Im sorry but you just cant do the update incorrectly. It either updates or it doesnt. If it does then you did it right, if it doesnt then perhaps you did something wrong. When it says that the update is complete then the update is complete and thats just the way it is.

Aloha Duchunter,

As you note, all the doors are open.  I am not saying that the bottom line is you or others are doing anything wrong.  What I am saying is that you and others should not give up and just leave it in DJI's hands.  My first lesson using a DJI product was when I screwed up my first firmware update.  Nothing worked right.  But, I did not give up and I kept at it until after about five or six update efforts (what today is called refreshing), eventually everything worked (finally).  Then there were other challenges.

The key is to not give up and leave it in DJI's hands unless DJI says that there is a problem and their engineers are working on it.  I never gave up, DJI said send in my Phantom, but I eventually solved my problem and I have been solving my problems ever since.  I also do not fly approved devices, one of which is getting old.  It is not like I never have problems, I just do not give up until the problem is solved.

Patience and tenacity are virtues on this Forum and when owning cutting edge technology.  That is all I am saying.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-20
Use props
Khadaffi Javeed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

If your on Android There rolling out Android O 8.0 This could fix it as My freind had the same issue as he Upgraded o 8.0 It seem to of fixed it Android 8.0 Google Pixel XL All Fine !!
2017-8-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb6e07ce9 Posted at 2017-8-20 10:05
At the risk of irritating many of the contributors to this forum I have to report almost negligible problems with my P4 since carrying out the latest firmware update.  For what it is worth I used both Asst 2 (upgraded) and GO 4 (upgraded) and updates went reasonably smoothly.  I use a cheap Android  Alcatel Pixi 3 10" tablet - the only reason being that the drone vendor recommended it and at that time I did not know it was not on the dji `approved list`..Not surprisingly the upgrade process was rather daunting in view of  the negative reports posted.  My experience on the first flight was that the drone was weaving slightly in the hover (as reported many times by others).  An IMU calibration was carried out and no others.  To my relief the P4 was restored to its previous performance.  i have since checked out all the new features less waypoints and am entirely satisfied with my experience of these and am grateful for the new options like Tripod .  The frequent high wind warning is probably set too low and perhaps should be adjusted somewhere.

Aloha fansb6,

Fortunately, your experience is the normal experience for DJI products.  Those who complain on this
Forum have legitimate complaints and are reaching out for assistance.  We try to help those who want to help themselves.  We can lead a horse to water, but we cannot make them drink in some of those cases.

Statistically, the vocal minority that choose to complain excessively on this Forum are really in a very small minority.  Do not worry about offending them.  Think more about all those you are helping by explaining that everything does work as designed and you can solve any problems you encounter.

Complainers are announcing their legitimate gripe with their situation.  Unfortunately, (and you see it repeatedly, in fact you say you experienced this situation) so many of the vocal minority complain on this Forum, that those who come here to look for a solution to their problem think that there is a big problem when in fact there is not a big problem, just a vocal minority.

That is the damage done by the vocal minority that want to get as many DJI customers to complain as they can - even when those customers really have no complaint.  They want to scare DJI customers about a bogeyman that does not exist.  That is why some of us, especially those with lengthy experience, have to give those complainers a reality check.  Those complainers do not realize that they are inhibiting DJI customers from having fun with their DJI products.  For some reason, complainers feel it is OK to mislead DJI customers so that they will not have fun with their purchase.

Theirs is a self induced suffering in many cases, and those in that capacity believe that if they have to suffer, then all DJI customers should suffer.  How fair is that?  Complainers need to get a reality check and see what they are really doing.  If DJI can solve their problem for them, DJI engineers will be very happy to do it and will do it as fast as possible.  If DJi engineers cannot help them with what is really their responsibility and their problem, no amount of complaining or coercion will solve their problem.

In so many cases, complainers need to take responsibility for their problems and stop blaming DJI.  They are hurting themselves and those who just want to fly and have fun.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-20
Use props
DSaunders
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2999 ft
United States

Installed new firmware in my P4 last week. Hadn't flown since June so it seemed logical that I should have to update. Everything looked fine and no indication anything could go wrong. Hadn't heard there was a problem because I've never had a problem. It would have been nice for DJI to PULL THE UPDATE so nobody else experiences problems if they knew there were issues. Flew it Friday evening and didn't get more than 1:45 into the flight - straight up to 255 ft - and suffered a major malfunction, accelerating straight down in less than 2 seconds onto my neighbors tile roof and smashing it to pieces. May be a total loss. I AM BESIDE MYSELF THAT DJI WOULD ALLOW A DEFECTIVE UPDATE TO FLOAT OUT THERE, AND ACTUALLY REQUIRE YOU TO UPDATE OR BE RESTRICTED IN YOUR FLIGHTS. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.
2017-8-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules