Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yaw error and drift into crash in tree
734 3 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VillaUtopia
New
Flight distance : 33727 ft
Netherlands

Hi Guys,

Since last weekend i am the proud owner of a brand new Mavic Pro. Even after watching all of the clips before buying it, flying it i am still hugely impressed by what it can do.

Today however, i had a scary encounter because all of a sudden, just after take off i lost all control and to my shock the Mavic continued its path forward into a big tree. Luckily it came down, only a prop fully broken of. It seems to be ok.

However, after reading several topics here on the forum it seems more people encountered the problem. I already uploaded the log file of the flight on phantomhelp.com and it gave me a list of "yaw error" but also several on "Magnetic Filed Interference. Exit P-GPS Mode; Yaw Error". Now, i do understand that in this case it would be logical that the mavic would get into trouble but i had just made several flights on the exact same spot without any problem whatsoever. It was on a large open parking space near a lake and i did check about any possible things like antenna's, big metal structures etc.

The whole thing lasted about 17 seconds so it was quite fast to firstly realize what was going on and then realize it was just going on. What i don't really understand is why it did not immediately break. I remember trying to go for the pause button while getting the orientation to steer it backwards but by that time i saw it flying into the tree.

my question: would this be something i did wrong? Should i have calibrated even though it was the exact same place i had flown just minutes before that? What can you best do in this situation? (i have the emergency shutdown on breakdown setting) Probably someone here will tell me i should have immediately dropped it to the ground after the first message but all went fast as i was just getting used to flying the mavic and 5 seconds after starting i already lost it.

phantomhelp.com link: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LYZWHS7IGATMGHR917G1/

2017-8-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Since you took off from what appears to be a concrete parking lot my guess is that your takeoff location was geomagnetically distorted. Concrete often contains (steel) rebar that can cause problems with the Mavic's compass and sometimes a small change in location can make a big difference.

If you really want to know for sure what happened then upload the DAT file for the flight and I'll take a look at it. The instructions for retrieving the DAT file are here and the correct file will have a timestamp corresponding to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size. Once you've retrieved it you'll need to upload it to DropBox and then provide a link to it in this thread.
2017-8-16
Use props
sorka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

I've had exactly this kind of thing happen to me with my P3P but an instant flick of the switch to ATTI mode allowed me to gain immediate, even if manual, control back over my aircraft. I've just bought a Mavic and have discovered that there is no way to switch to ATTI mode. I'm boxing it back up right now to return it without ever having flown it.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear the accident. We recommend you sync the flight records and export the flight log, then contact the support to open a case, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause:http://www.dji.com/support
Besides, we also suggest sending the drone back for an overall check if it is needed.
2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules