Mavic during eclipse
1417 7 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdd63cb40
lvl.2
Flight distance : 788973 ft
United States

I am a relatively new Mavic owner and have a question about the eclipse.

I  thought it would be interesting to fly the Mavic up to 300' or so and have it film for about 10 minutes as the totality approaches, during totality and then a bit afterward.

My question is ... Would the Mavic hold position during the total part of the eclipse (2 1/2 minutes) or would it start to drift because of the darkness?

I imagine folks dont have a lot of experience with this but would like some opinions.

Thanks,

George
2017-8-16
Use props
fansdd63cb40
lvl.2
Flight distance : 788973 ft
United States

TO be clear... I am not planning on shooting the sun... just the landscape.
2017-8-16
Use props
Steve1503
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89104 ft
United States

I would guess that it would be just like flying at night, not recommended.
GPS will still hold it in place, that is not limited by light.
Good luck.
2017-8-16
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102359 ft
Canada

Just wondering if shooting straight into the sun if it would damage the camera in any way?
2017-8-16
Use props
MasterT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14068 ft
United States

A similar post came just yesterday (http://forum.dji.com/thread-109105-1-2.html)  to which I posted this:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 9105&pid=914417

A solar eclipse does not make the sun to emit more rays or make those rays any more "harmful" than on any other day. If fact, less rays are reaching the earth because of, you know, eclipse. So, ANY time you use ANY camera in the daytime and point it towards the sun, should, by your advise, damage it - but it doesn't.  Why?

The whole hysteria of "do not look directly at the solar eclipse" is not unfounded, but often interpreted incorrectly. The bottom line is: NEVER look directly at the sun, especially through a telescope, as it will damage your retina. With full sun out, it is actually hard to look at the sun directly as your body protects you from that (bright light - squinting). During a solar eclipse with most of sun rays blocked, it is much easier to look at the sun but the rays that do reach the earth are still harmful and will cause damage to eye retina with enough time. Many use telescopes, binoculars, and other optical tools to enhance their solar eclipse experience but not all realize that those tools are simple .... lenses. Have you ever made a fire by concentrating sunlight with a lens? So you know what happens. Looking at a solar eclipse directly through a telescope or other lenses is similar.

So, what you should've said is this: do not use lenses to concentrate sunrays on the camera of your Mavic during a solar eclipse or any other time as it will damage it. Filming sun any other time, including during solar eclipses, is just a matter of fining a correct filter to get the right exposure - that's it.
2017-8-16
Use props
MasterT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14068 ft
United States

fansdd63cb40 Posted at 2017-8-16 13:40
TO be clear... I am not planning on shooting the sun... just the landscape.

You should have no problem shooting the sun, just find the right exposure for which you might need a filter.
2017-8-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The drone will hold its position when there is a good GPS signal and the drone is in P Mode.  
2017-8-16
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

I used to think people talking about shooting the eclipse with their drone was stupid, but the more I read about it, the more I realize, I'm totally doing it!  No, it won't hurt the camera.  I'm going to 400 feet though.
2017-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules