Charge options for mavic controller on the go?
5660 23 2017-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

All set with three drone batteries for my new mavic but I had the controller, and then my iPhone :/, pop up low battery warnings first.
Any suggestions on portable power banks that are safe for use with the controller (and phone)? Think hiking, no outlets around..
thanks!!
2017-8-16
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Amazon.com and search for ANKER. I have one with 32000mAH and can charge your remote dozen times.
2017-8-16
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

I've heard that using powerbanks with the remote controller is a big NO NO, but I've never tried it.
According the the DJI FAQ page for the Mavic:
"It is not recommended to charge the remote controller with a mobile power bank. This may damage the coulometer. Battery level readings for the remote controller may become incorrect, and the battery consumption speed may become greater than the charging speed".
2017-8-16
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Depending on if you want to add TWO more batteries to your kit the extra batteries with DJI's own charging adapter are a PERFECT solution.  Of course any power bank will do (min 2+ amps per charge port) .  What I do is use the residual power left in one Mavic battery to charge my phone and  RC controller between flights when on the road.  I've used my Mavic extensively on road trips and travel with 7 batteries.  A bit overkill; I find that 5 is perfect; of course rarely is the 6th of 7th battery needed; only just in case or for that one heavy day of flying.  A good practice is always begin your flying day wiith a full 100% on the RC and you should never have to need to charge it; even if you fly 5 batteries.  I find that a full flight sucks approx. 10-12% out of the RC controller.  I tend to not fly the Mavic's battery below 25%.  This leaves plenty of 'spent' batteries to charge my phone throughout the day.  I have the DJI car-charger but never found it advantageous to use it vs charging my things using the DJI power adaptor.  It is a great tool!
2017-8-16
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-8-16 21:07
Depending on if you want to add TWO more batteries to your kit the extra batteries with DJI's own charging adapter are a PERFECT solution.  Of course any power bank will do (min 2+ amps per charge port) .  What I do is use the residual power left in one Mavic battery to charge my phone and  RC controller between flights when on the road.  I've used my Mavic extensively on road trips and travel with 7 batteries.  A bit overkill; I find that 5 is perfect; of course rarely is the 6th of 7th battery needed; only just in case or for that one heavy day of flying.  A good practice is always begin your flying day wiith a full 100% on the RC and you should never have to need to charge it; even if you fly 5 batteries.  I find that a full flight sucks approx. 10-12% out of the RC controller.  I tend to not fly the Mavic's battery below 25%.  This leaves plenty of 'spent' batteries to charge my phone throughout the day.  I have the DJI car-charger but never found it advantageous to use it vs charging my things using the DJI power adaptor.  It is a great tool!

@randy.sauder you're gonna laugh probably but is that what that cube-like little gizmo with the battery port is for? Sounds great! lol I'll look at that first..
and from what you're saying that controller MUST not have been fully charged, died before the drone batt did ://
2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Tango_B Posted at 2017-8-16 21:06
I've heard that using powerbanks with the remote controller is a big NO NO, but I've never tried it.
According the the DJI FAQ page for the Mavic:
"It is not recommended to charge the remote controller with a mobile power bank. This may damage the coulometer. Battery level readings for the remote controller may become incorrect, and the battery consumption speed may become greater than the charging speed".

@tango_b 'nuff said, you scared me off the power bank idea for the controller
2017-8-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

wglovett Posted at 2017-8-17 08:44

Nothing wrong with charging your controller with the portable power station, just don't do it while using the controller, I use a Mini Max 20,000 Mah and I can charge the RC many times from it before it even puts a dent in the Mini Max battery.

2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-17 08:53
Nothing wrong with charging your controller with the portable power station, just don't do it while using the controller, I use a Mini Max 20,000 Mah and I can charge the RC any times from it before it even puts a dent in the Mini Max battery.

that sounds promising!
2017-8-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

wglovett Posted at 2017-8-17 08:43
@randy.sauder you're gonna laugh probably but is that what that cube-like little gizmo with the battery port is for? Sounds great! lol I'll look at that first..
and from what you're saying that controller MUST not have been fully charged, died before the drone batt did ://

Ya- that cheap-looking cube thing is GREAT.  You get fast-charging from both ports at the same time.  The Problem with powerbanks is that often they are not charged up when you need them the most.  If you rely on your Mavic batteries for charging it is very convenient because you always have a them and they always have enough charge to be used very well as a 'powerbank'.  My phone is always running out of power- but since I maintain charging this way; it is never a problem ever.  Also I should add that when your phone is connected to the RC it is charging the phone too.  The RC has a super battery live so in a single day you never have to recharge it after say 6 battery uses (I don't use the RC if it's battery is around 20 % or less; just in case.  Even around the house I use the Mavic batteries as powerbanks...very convenient.  Trust me- there are two absolute things you must own with your Mavic...1). The power adapter (or two), and 2). Use a ND filter for video- the Mavic is all but useless for video without a ND filter.
2017-8-17
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Someone knows what a "coulometer" is?
2017-8-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-8-17 09:03
Ya- that cheap-looking cube thing is GREAT.  You get fast-charging from both ports at the same time.  The Problem with powerbanks is that often they are not charged up when you need them the most.  If you rely on your Mavic batteries for charging it is very convenient because you always have a them and they always have enough charge to be used very well as a 'powerbank'.  My phone is always running out of power- but since I maintain charging this way; it is never a problem ever.  Also I should add that when your phone is connected to the RC it is charging the phone too.  The RC has a super battery live so in a single day you never have to recharge it after say 6 battery uses (I don't use the RC if it's battery is around 20 % or less; just in case.  Even around the house I use the Mavic batteries as powerbanks...very convenient.  Trust me- there are two absolute things you must own with your Mavic...1). The power adapter (or two), and 2). Use a ND filter for video- the Mavic is all but useless for video without a ND filter.

"The power adapter" what is that a cable that plugs into your Mavic Battery to a micro connection that plugs into the charge port of the RC?
2017-8-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

wglovett Posted at 2017-8-17 08:44

Charging the RC with a powerbank is no different that charging it using the usb power ports from DJI's OWN power cube (supplied as part of the AC charger).  Both charge with 5V DC...nothing 'unsafe' with that.        DJI is Chinese..so their manual and comments often are poorly worded: 100% what they MEAN TO SAY is "Do not charge the RC unit at the same time as using the RC".  
2017-8-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-8-17 09:16
Charging the RC with a powerbank is no different that charging it using the usb power ports from DJI's OWN power cube (supplied as part of the AC charger).  Both charge with 5V DC...nothing 'unsafe' with that.        DJI is Chinese..so their manual and comments often are poorly worded: 100% what they MEAN TO SAY is "Do not charge the RC unit at the same time as using the RC".

Right, but I think he is talking about charging the RC using the Mavic flight battery ??
2017-8-17
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-8-16 20:46
Amazon.com and search for ANKER. I have one with 32000mAH and can charge your remote dozen times.

I own this one and it's pretty amazing how long and fast it charges my devices.
2017-8-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just bought a https://www.ravpower.com/26800ma ... Smart2.0-black.html pack and charged my RC last night.  Get the charger too (separate).  The charger has two 2.4A ports.  It did quite well, and I'll carry it just in case when flying away from home.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-17 09:15

A coulometer is a device to determine electric charges.
2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Like this?
image.jpg
image.jpg
2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Wow huge pics..

Okay so still thinking power bank for my phone at least. Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll come back to this post before shopping!
2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Note: double press battery to ON for charge
Trying it out on my phone now. Woohoo
2017-8-17
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wglovett Posted at 2017-8-17 13:49
Wow huge pics..

Okay so still thinking power bank for my phone at least. Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll come back to this post before shopping!

You can't go wrong with this one, $79.00 and I have been using it since last October. You can IPHONE, IPAD, MP REMOTE and batteries.

Power Banks RAVPower 32000mAh 6A Output Portable Charger External Battery Pack (3-Port, 2.4A Intput, Triple iSmart 2.0 USB, High-density Li-polymer Battery)

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017-8-17
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Beauty, thx! Doesn't ship to Canada but I'll see if the local outfitters have em
2017-8-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-17 09:15

Wikipedia explaination:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulometer

2017-8-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-17 09:23
Right, but I think he is talking about charging the RC using the Mavic flight battery ??

Yes- of course charging the RC with the flight battery is exactly what I do using their adapter; it is a perfect solution.
2017-8-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

Perfect.  I do this for my phone too and is a great way to guarantee charging while on the go; since you can't depend on your powerbank (Ankler or other) from being charged and ready when you need it to be...
2017-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules