Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

The Puzzle…
You have:
1 - 128GB SD card
1 - 64GB SD card
1 - 16GB SD card (the one that comes with the P4P)

…and you have:
- a Phantom 4Pro
- DJI Goggles
- an Android Phone (for now) (you will upgrade to a Samsung Tab A later, and solely dedicate it to drone ops)

Objective: In what device do you put which Micro SD card?

My solution:
16GB in the P4P – reason, if anything (God forbid) happens to the bird you won’t lose an expensive card with it
64GB in the Goggles – reason, holds enough video/photos to capture and view for several missions
128GB in the Phone/Tablet – reason, plenty of storage for downloaded video/photos, flight data, maps, and other app data requirements

For you knowledgeable and/or experienced operators:
Does this configuration make sense?
If not, what is a better configuration?

Free for all question:
If you had any choice in SD card memory size, other than the above, what sizes would you use and in what devices would you put them?  Keep in mind larger memory size means higher costs, so be mindful of spending as if money is no object i.e. be reasonable.

Bonus question>>Also, how important is it to have onboard storage in the drone, during flight, and if it is necessary/crucial then what is the minimum size needed that can cover several missions before you have to download it to free it back up?

Enjoy…look forward to hearing what everyone thinks
2017-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's exactly what I would do, and for the same reasons. But a couple of extra 16GB cards are handy to keep in the box in case one gets left at home, or lost in the field.

16GB in a P4P, what's that about 5 minutes per 4.2GB @ 100Mb/s VBR ?

So just under 20 minutes per 16GB card, one battery (playing it safe of course). 32GB might be a better choice to cover that extended flight (plus spares :-) ). For several missions then your back up to the 64 & 128s again.

Given that the batteries have to be changed, and SD could be done at same time, then cheaper 16 or 32s might be the way to go (cheap in relative terms compared to the 64 or 128).
2017-8-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I bought a 64gb card for my Phantom 3 Pro, 4K video, and find it perfect.

Never filled it up, in my four flight battery excursions...

RedHotPoker
2017-8-17
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

I keep the 64GB in the P4P.  Why?  Because 16GB will fill up fast, and God forbid, after it fills up, that perfect photo or video opportunity arrises and your memory is full.  The 16GB card I keep as a backup, loaded in the USB transfer card as a backup and ALWAYS SWITCH PLACES, placing it in the P4P when I am transferring the data from the 64GB.  The reason I put it in the drone, is because it is so easy to lose those little things, at least this way both cards are always in a secure spot that is difficult to lose.  -I haven't purchased the goggles yet.
2017-8-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-17 13:31
That's exactly what I would do, and for the same reasons. But a couple of extra 16GB cards are handy to keep in the box in case one gets left at home, or lost in the field.

16GB in a P4P, what's that about 5 minutes per 4.2GB @ 100Mb/s VBR ?
Aardvark,
Awesome, all info I was hoping to capture, thanks!  You’ve made me think, initially I thought my bases might be covered, but had no idea about memory rate with respect to onboard video capture verses battery time, so that alone was great info.  Also, I have not even considered backups or just performing swap outs during battery changes, makes sense hearing you say it.  
Now I’m considering maybe 1 or 2 32GB and 1 or 2 16 GB cards to have on hand, as you noted.  However, I may wait to get a better idea on data capture requirements and how much memory I actually end up needing.  I’m thinking 16GB may not be large enough for a video intensive flight.  Also, you are spot on cost wise, 16s and 32s are much more affordable compared to 64 and up.

Much appreciated!

2017-8-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-17 13:50
I bought a 64gb card for my Phantom 3 Pro, 4K video, and find it perfect.
RedHot...
Thank you!
Understood, 64 will cover a 4-battery operation - using 4K video.  

However, based on that experience would a 32 work just as well for 4 batteries or maybe 3 or 2?  Tell me what you think?
You indicated that you never filled up the 64 so I'm assuming it was not close.

2017-8-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-17 14:06
I keep the 64GB in the P4P.  Why?  Because 16GB will fill up fast, and God forbid, after it fills up, that perfect photo or video opportunity arrises and your memory is full.  The 16GB card I keep as a backup, loaded in the USB transfer card as a backup and ALWAYS SWITCH PLACES, placing it in the P4P when I am transferring the data from the 64GB.  The reason I put it in the drone, is because it is so easy to lose those little things, at least this way both cards are always in a secure spot that is difficult to lose.  -I haven't purchased the goggles yet.
Kuya,
Good points, especially the missed photo or shot, I’m just looking to find that happy middle.  Based on your input and Aardvark’s it seems 16 may be too little, however, I’m looking to keep costs down so I’m hoping and thinking that a 32GB card will suffice over a 64.  Assuming memory requirements, I may need to have a couple 32s to swap out at battery changes.  It is a lot to consider, but your input is helping.
Thank you!

2017-8-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-8-17 14:06
Edit: not sure what happened, there was a glitch and this double post was made

Kuya,
  Good points, especially the missed photo or shot, I’m just looking to find that happy middle.  Based on your input and Aardvark’s it seems 16 may be too little, however, I’m looking to keep costs down so I’m hoping and thinking that a 32GB card will suffice over a 64.  Assuming memory requirements, I may need to have a couple 32s to swap out at battery changes.  It is a lot to consider, but your input is helping.
  Thank you!

2017-8-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-17 15:58
RedHot...Thank you!Understood, 64 will cover a 4-battery operation - using 4K video.  
However, based on that experience would a 32 work just as well for 4 batteries or maybe 3 or 2?  Tell me what you think?You indicated that you never filled up the 64 so I'm assuming it was not close.

The 4K video recording will cut off after 9:00 mins on its own, unless you start and stop the recording yourself.
Sometimes I will just start recording before I take off and record most of the full flight.  But it's better to plan out your video, to some degree, making sure you capture the scenes which are most important to you.

I get the reasoning behind some folks recommending multiple 16gb cards and switching the cards with each subsequent battery change. But that's just too much fiddling for me. And seems like a way that cards would more likely get misplaced or lost. I've never filled up a 64gb card on my excursions/missions.

I've never thought to check free space on my 64gb card upon returning from recording.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-18
Use props
KEDDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I would go for at least 32GB in AC, the 16GB fill up too fast IMO. I just keep the empty 16GB in the RC so i have it at hand in case i need a little extra before i can copy and format my 32GB.
Placed in the RC the card has no function, is not used but in near reach.

@RHP: The P4P does not cut off by itself as you describe (Unless the buggy FW gives some issues as some have reported :-) )
2017-8-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

KEDDK Posted at 2017-8-19 03:07
I would go for at least 32GB in AC, the 16GB fill up too fast IMO. I just keep the empty 16GB in the RC so i have it at hand in case i need a little extra before i can copy and format my 32GB.
Placed in the RC the card has no function, is not used but in near reach.
KEDDK,
Yes noted, and I believe good advice.    
See this thread for some good info on this related subject.  Note post #13 especially:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-73995-1-1.html  

After reviewing everyone’s advice here and elsewhere, I have concluded that for the P4P you need at least a 32GB card onboard during flight, and especially so if you are taking 4K video.
Thank you

2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules