Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG cable connection issues
3996 33 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans58154395
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1691749 ft
Italy

Until yesterday I was happily flying my spark with an RC connected to my smartphone by a OTG USB cable. In this way the video feed is much better, and I understand that many users take advantage of this possibility, even if it's not officially supported (I also have a chat with the customers service and they told me that the OTG cable use is not recommended).

Today, this function stopped working: now when I connect the RC to the smarphone by OTG, I have no image (I get some random frames sometimes but the DJI GO app is mostly on "No Signal" status).

I've tried everything I can think of: use another cable, unpair and pair again the aircraft to the RC, downgraded and upgraded again the RC firmware... None of these worked.

As I understand the OTG connection is almost a "debug" feature for now (it's quite clear from the "tricks" you have to do in order to change the WiFi frequency), so can I even ask a repair for a feature that it's not officially supported? This sucks Any helpful thoughs? What's DJI official position about this? Will this feature ever became official (since many users take advantage of it)?
2017-8-17
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I doubt is broken.
Although not supported, DJI sell the OTG cable for use with the Spark and Goggles, so in theory it must be viable and even supported as the goggles are just an Android phone.
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-17 11:25
I doubt is broken.
Although not supported, DJI sell the OTG cable for use with the Spark and Goggles, so in theory it must be viable and even supported as the goggles are just an Android phone.

I really hope that it's not broken, but what else I can try to make it work like before? I forgot to mention I also have reinstalled the DJI 4 app...
2017-8-17
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FrenchiVIII Posted at 2017-8-17 11:40
I really hope that it's not broken, but what else I can try to make it work like before? I forgot to mention I also have reinstalled the DJI 4 app...

This is my procedure, seems to work every time:

Start craft
Start RC
Wait for Green light
Plug OTG in RC
Plug cable into Phone/Tablet
You should get prompt to open the app.
Click ok
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-17 11:46
This is my procedure, seems to work every time:

Start craft

Yup, that have always worked for me too until today... I'm flying Spark since 22 july for a total of 55km in 167 flights, and have always worked for me. I was also able to switch the frequency to 2.4 GHz for better reach by connecting the remote with WiFi and then with OTG after changing the wireless settings. Since today, nothing works anymore with the OTG cable...
2017-8-17
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

My procedures vary slightly from those above.  In fact I've had many problems when plugging into RC first.  My procedures are:

Start RC
Start app running on device
Wait for solid orange light
Plug cable into Phone/Tablet
Plug OTG into RC
Wait for app to say RC Connected (happens in about one second)
Start spark.
Wait for solid orange light to turn solid green

I don't know why, but whenever I've plugged into RC and THEN into device, I've had lots of issues.  So I plug into RC last.

I save the spark for last because I want to preserve battery.
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-17 12:18
My procedures vary slightly from those above.  In fact I've had many problems when plugging into RC first.  My procedures are:

Start RC

thank you for sharing this, I've just tried but it doesn't work for me...

Maybe I found another RC issue in the meanwhile; when the RC is connected with WiFi, I am able to change the WiFi frequency/channel. After changing it, it says that the WiFi will restart. After that the WiFi network of the RC disappears, and I won't find it even after rebooting it. The only solution is to reboot the aircraft, so that the WiFi frequency is restore to default (5.8 GHz). Am I doing something wrong or there's another issue there? Why I cannot change the connection frequency if I'm connecting to RC with WiFi? (before today, I was able to use the 2.4 GHz frequency by connecting the OTG cable after the frequency switch)
2017-8-17
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

FrenchiVIII Posted at 2017-8-17 12:51
thank you for sharing this, I've just tried but it doesn't work for me...

Maybe I found another RC issue in the meanwhile; when the RC is connected with WiFi, I am able to change the WiFi frequency/channel. After changing it, it says that the WiFi will restart. After that the WiFi network of the RC disappears, and I won't find it even after rebooting it. The only solution is to reboot the aircraft, so that the WiFi frequency is restore to default (5.8 GHz). Am I doing something wrong or there's another issue there? Why I cannot change the connection frequency if I'm connecting to RC with WiFi? (before today, I was able to use the 2.4 GHz frequency by connecting the OTG cable after the frequency switch)

There may be one other explanation.  This did in fact happen to me...

My first OTG cable I bought was not very durable.  I started having many connection issues with it, and I went through a whole lot of analysis about the order of starting things up, connecting things, rebooting things, etc.  I finally checked the OTG cable itself.  Turns out the metal of the female receiver had become loose, and was pulling out slightly from the plastic.  Because of use, I had separated the metal housing from the rest of the wires.

When I replaced the cable (I bought two, different model) things worked again.
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

I've tried three different cables and two otg adapters and found no differences... one of these is the cable found in my galaxy s7 bought on june so it shouldn't be cheap quality...
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

Is there some way to do something like a factory reset to the rc? I've tried to downgrade/upgrade it with no luck...
2017-8-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just following this thread now. OTG would be a must have for me.
Is it just you who has the problems, or are there mroe?
2017-8-17
Use props
fans07aae7d8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32516 ft
United States

do you have other device to try other than the galaxy s7?
2017-8-17
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-17 13:24
Just following this thread now. OTG would be a must have for me.
Is it just you who has the problems, or are there mroe?

I have seen others have issues, some get fixed by doing different connection procedures.  I expect this may be the reason DJI say it is not yet supported as it can be buggy.
2017-8-17
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

I haven't tried different devices, tomorrow I will be doimg this but I'm beginning to loose hope... Let's hope this feature will be fully supported soon!
2017-8-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I think, it is the phone!
I have tried my LG G4 some day in the last week, it worked. I tried my OP5, it worked.
Yesterday, I needed to use OTG-connection, it doesnt work with LG, but still with OP5

This inconsistence maybe one reason for "not supportet" by DJI, right now

Try another phone, restart yours. Maybe you get it back on.
There was no update since last time working, on the DJI side, right?
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I have not idea whether the feature will be added in the recommended list for now. For the broken USB port, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-8-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-17 22:05
I have not idea whether the feature will be added in the recommended list for now. For the broken USB port, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis: http://www.dji.com/support.

I sure hope so.
2017-8-17
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Have you got this OTG Cable ? http://amzn.to/2wfYAdr IT might have a loose connection.... maybe you could try one of these adapters:  http://amzn.to/2v77DZb
2017-8-17
Use props
Koppo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191726 ft
Germany

Did you check your USB connector in the RC? I read on the forums it likes to get damaged because its usb A and the cable from DJI is usb B.
Anyway, I ordered a DJI cable from a drone store, it has an angled plug Type C for my Samsung S8. Works fine (i just cant switch to 2.4 anymore, i dont know why).
2017-8-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

In the case that DJI is NOT finding a way, to make the OTG a feature/option for controlling the spark, it is my opinion that the value for flighing the spark in urban areas is going down!
The controller is acting as a repeater for a signal, which is affected by home wifis fromm all around.
Next stop mavic, huu?
2017-8-18
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

Koppo Posted at 2017-8-17 23:39
Did you check your USB connector in the RC? I read on the forums it likes to get damaged because its usb A and the cable from DJI is usb B.
Anyway, I ordered a DJI cable from a drone store, it has an angled plug Type C for my Samsung S8. Works fine (i just cant switch to 2.4 anymore, i dont know why).

The connector still works fine for charging and seeing telemetries, it's just the video feed that it's almost completely absent.
I'm not sure that the connector could be damaged by using a regular micro usb cable, because regardless the shape the cable won't fit in both sides.
2017-8-18
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

So I can still send it to support even if this feature it's not officially supported? That's a relief...
I don't know if this may be of help, but even when I have the "No Signal" status, the aircraft speed is correctly updated in telemetries, meaning that some data exchange from remote controller to smartphone actually exists.

Today I've tried using another phone (Moto G2 Plus), same results. I don't think is a cable issue, as I've stated many times everything worked like a charm since yesterday, and I've already tried multiple cables and adaptors. On the top of that, I'm expecting that if the cable is faulty i should receive some notification from the smartphone, but the connection itself seems to be flawless except for the video stream.
2017-8-18
Use props
Koppo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191726 ft
Germany

FrenchiVIII Posted at 2017-8-18 00:47
The connector still works fine for charging and seeing telemetries, it's just the video feed that it's almost completely absent.
I'm not sure that the connector could be damaged by using a regular micro usb cable, because regardless the shape the cable won't fit in both sides.

I don't know how it could be damaged. Frankly, I did not even realize they are not the same type until I read about that on the forum.
2017-8-18
Use props
FrenchiVIII
lvl.2
Italy

I have some update on the issue. I tried using an iPad of a friend and the OTG connection works :\ tried again with my Samsung Galaxy S7, with my brother's S8 and my friend's P9 Light and does not work...

With the iPad I was also able to switch the frequency to 2.4 GHz without using the remote (this is not possible at all using Android, read these threads (https://forum.dji.com/thread-109477-1-2.html, https://forum.dji.com/thread-108416-1-1.html).

It's quite bad in this way since I will only be able to use the 5.8 GHz frequency without OTG, whitch has low reach and laggy... It's quite a loss of the product quality since when I was able to use the 2.4 GHz frequency with the OTG cable, so I think i will send it to repair as soon as I come back from holidays...
2017-8-19
Use props
do fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 884019 ft
South Korea

I think this is dji go app problem or dji app can resolve it. Because other FPV apps like CAVU works even though dji go don't.
2017-9-5
Use props
fans79908aad
New
United States

Yes. Im having same problem.  Hadn[t flown Spark in past two weeks. It was working great with OTG cable.  Today it would not work.
2017-9-5
Use props
do fly
lvl.3
South Korea

OMG!!!
T-flash memory is the reason of this?
After remove it from Spark. OTG is working.
And I changed the memory, this also resolved this problem.

Thanks a lot!
2017-9-6
Use props
do fly
lvl.3
South Korea

do fly Posted at 2017-9-6 07:07
OMG!!!
T-flash memory is the reason of this?
After remove it from Spark. OTG is working.

I dont know and I wonder why this problem is related a kind of smart phone.
Additionally, after format the issued memory, OTG is OK.
2017-9-6
Use props
GPIE Sparky
New

United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-17 12:18

Start RC

Charles Adams,

Thanks!  Your steps worked flawlessly for me.  The only thing is that I haven't updated my batteries to firmware 0900 and my RC to 0400 yet.  Do I need to do this?  If not, do I just ignore the popup in the app?  If so, will this stop the OTG from working?  

As with you I live in the US.  I am starting to see that most of those who have problems with the latest DJI GO 4 app version, live in the UK.  Is that true or are people in the US also having this issue?  I still have a few days to return my Spark if this is the case.  I didn't pay five hundred dollars for a WiFi only drone!!  Even if the camera and video is much better.
2018-1-6
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

GPIE Sparky Posted at 2018-1-6 17:35
Charles Adams,

Thanks!  Your steps worked flawlessly for me.  The only thing is that I haven't updated my batteries to firmware 0900 and my RC to 0400 yet.  Do I need to do this?  If not, do I just ignore the popup in the app?  If so, will this stop the OTG from working?  

" I didn't pay five hundred dollars for a WiFi only drone!! "

Yes you did...No where in the Spark manual does it mention the word OTG.  Secondly, when/if DJI does allow for a OTG connection, the connection from the RC to the Spark is still WIFI.
2018-1-6
Use props
GPIE Sparky
New

United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-6 17:55
" I didn't pay five hundred dollars for a WiFi only drone!! "

Yes you did...No where in the Spark manual does it mention the word OTG.  Secondly, when/if DJI does allow for a OTG connection, the connection from the RC to the Spark is still WIFI.

Tviscomi, I appreciate the response, but now I am more confused.  I thought that the only way you can fly beyond 100-150 meters in the US with a Spark was via an RC and an OTG cable, not on WiFi.  I also heard that without the OTG cable that the video monitored on a phone/tablet was too grainy (basically unusable) and that a potential fly away could happen due to periodic loss of WiFi connection.  Is this true?  I am not saying that I need to fly 1-2 miles away, but 100-150 meters is useless to me.  I haven't got to try this yet.  What is the max distance you can fly a spark with an RC, but without an OTG cable on Android?  
2018-1-8
Use props
GPIE Sparky
New

United States

GPIE Sparky Posted at 2018-1-8 19:58
Tviscomi, I appreciate the response, but now I am more confused.  I thought that the only way you can fly beyond 100-150 meters in the US with a Spark was via an RC and an OTG cable, not on WiFi.  I also heard that without the OTG cable that the video monitored on a phone/tablet was too grainy (basically unusable) and that a potential fly away could happen due to periodic loss of WiFi connection.  Is this true?  I am not saying that I need to fly 1-2 miles away, but 100-150 meters is useless to me.  I haven't got to try this yet.  What is the max distance you can fly a spark with an RC, but without an OTG cable on Android?

I heard the problem is not the WiFi between the RC and the Spark, but between the RC and the phone/tablet.
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

GPIE Sparky Posted at 2018-1-8 20:03
I heard the problem is not the WiFi between the RC and the Spark, but between the RC and the phone/tablet.

Correct, here in the US many seem to have an issue with the WIFI video between the phone/tablet and RC.  I've flown mine over 2,500 feet with no issues in a very controlled environment (i.e. open field with no congested wifi).
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules