Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it safe to travel with a fully charged battery?
5982 24 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluebus19
United States

Hello everyone, I'm planning a trip to Maui and I'm taking my spark along for the ride. But I wanted to know if it would be safe for me to travel (in an airplane) with my batteries fully charged?
2017-8-17
Use props
SparkyPilot
lvl.1
Portugal

I think it would be allowed, but if you want to be safe you could put it at 60%. That is the recommended battery percentage for travel.
2017-8-17
Use props
Surface2Air
First Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

The chance that they check your battery percentages is very slim. I've seen people who travel with 10+ LiPo's (FPV race quad batteries) with no problems.
2017-8-17
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to check with your airline on their policies.  I've read other places that people travel with fully juiced batteries without issue.  I've also read that in the US some airline baggage claim attendants didn't understand proper FAA regulations, which caused difficulties.

It might be best to find the airline policies and print them if they are available in such format.
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would not suggest to take a fully charged battery in an airplane. Please discharge it to below 5% if available.
Travel Notice.png
2017-8-17
Use props
milksteak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137369 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-17 19:15
I would not suggest to take a fully charged battery in an airplane. Please discharge it to below 5% if available.

Uh oh.   I recently flew with 5 batteries fully charged a day before 6 flights around china and Thailand.  Oops.  I hope it wasn't dangerous

Nobody behind the x-ray machines seemed to talk to me or ask about the drone or the batteries.  I only had take out my iPad and power bank.  
2017-8-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-17 19:15

How do you discharge batteries? (other than just using them of course)
2017-8-17
Use props
video.jdinges
New
Flight distance : 709 ft
United States

I'd be more worried about the spark dropping like a brick from the sky onto property or nearby children than travelling with the battery.  
2017-8-17
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Defo no 100% charged batteries. Not safe at all. Every airline will have a list of do's and don't rules. I could not find any rules for my recent trip so I contacted them direct. It took them a while to find someone who knew the rules but they were happy that I respected the safety of the aircraft and all on board.
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-17 22:53
How do you discharge batteries? (other than just using them of course)

Please check this one:
Battery.png
2017-8-19
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I'm on my way back from a trip right now, the airlines require batteries to be carried on, and they must be below 75% charge. Usually downloading your footage to the phone burns through the batteries pretty well so that's what I've done. Another option is to just fly indoor for 7-10 minutes to run them down.
2017-8-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So fly empty it is.
2017-8-19
Use props
djiuser_IFCu2SaaEyAA
New

Bulgaria

Getting along with travel stuff is usually a good stuff and it's nice yo know that you are on a ride. It's totally safe and you could be safe and sound, comfortable and convenient. If you do not have any ride on your side, you can always get one with car in Hawaii . Consider this as a solid travel advice.
2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_IFCu2SaaEyAA Posted at 2018-7-31 02:04
Getting along with travel stuff is usually a good stuff and it's nice yo know that you are on a ride. It's totally safe and you could be safe and sound, comfortable and convenient. If you do not have any ride on your side, you can always get one with car in Hawaii . Consider this as a solid travel advice.

But you understand, this topic is from August 2017, right?
2018-7-31
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-31 02:09
But you understand, this topic is from August 2017, right?

SPAM - see the link after his gibberish?
Some kind of economy booking BS

2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-31 02:15
SPAM - see the link after his gibberish?
Some kind of economy booking BS

Ups, missed that one! so: do we report it as spam?
2018-7-31
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-31 02:19
Ups, missed that one! so: do we report it as spam?

Icon after downvote
2018-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

I know, but do we? Ok, I did! ;-)
2018-7-31
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.4

Guidelines for air travel with lipo batteries and why it's important to handle them properly (fire at 30,000 feet is bad).

https://travel.stackexchange.com ... commercial-airlines
2018-7-31
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

i've travelled with my spark without any questions or issues.  Check with airlines and FAA first as there might be regulations in place to the condition and restrictions on batteries.
2018-7-31
Use props
Cravenfan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-19 03:28
Please check this one:

I assume you just let it sit there on the floor until the batteries run down vs flying indoors...3 batteries take 45 minutes total to get to 5% or so?  Interesting that this is the only way.  
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Cravenfan Posted at 2018-7-31 11:47
I assume you just let it sit there on the floor until the batteries run down vs flying indoors...3 batteries take 45 minutes total to get to 5% or so?  Interesting that this is the only way.

Hey Cravenfan, sorry for the late response. If the battery level is high, you may connect with the simulator or similar to consume the battery.
2018-8-3
Use props
djiuser_GiPhON5WYimQ
New

India

I would say travelin with fully charged battery is safe if you have good companies phone or battery.I also love to travel and I do my booking on [with the help of Smartphone and it can be only possible if phone is fully charged , so it depends upon what kind of phone you are using while Traveling.
2019-7-21
Use props
djiuser_VRtEmaXDOZaD
lvl.1

India

Traveling is good with your battery fully charged or it could have happened that you won't get the charging point on your way through or you can get a car through Car Rental sites on https://travelsites.com which offer the extra batteries with you to go on a long trip and never allow you to go with a discharged battery anyway
2019-7-22
Use props
Shervin Koushan
First Officer
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

It is safe, I do it all the time. Technically they shouldnt be though
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules