Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Best Altitude for Long Distance Flight
2972 11 2017-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb275d089
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1922316 ft
Malaysia

Hi Drone expert,

Regardless of law, What is the best altitude or heights for long distance flight.

Mavic pro can flight upto 5000 meter from sea level and RC limit height upto 500M.

I know the plane flight higher can save the petro and energy. How about Mavic Pro? What is the optimise altitude for Mavic Pro?

If no wind, flight higher can have longer flight time or not?

What is your suggestion?

Thanks for your sharing ....

2017-8-17
Use props
Desmond Phee
lvl.1
Malaysia

I think the best Altitude for Mavic Long Distance Flight is 100 to 150M height. This height should be able keep "Line of Sight" and avoid the attack from crow..
2017-8-17
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
United States

Desmond Phee Posted at 2017-8-17 20:08
I think the best Altitude for Mavic Long Distance Flight is 100 to 150M height. This height should be able keep "Line of Sight" and avoid the attack from crow..

This height I doubt would stop a bird from attacking it. I fly around 100m up. It really depends what your surroundings are though and if you have any mountains or obstacles in your path. I personally wouldn't want to be moving it around exploring if I were on a long flight.
2017-8-17
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Mavic is not a plane - it uses energy to hover - use more to climb and save descending, so longest flights should be done ideally on 0 m - You start from hill and run without climb
I've done 14 km (7km away) that way and had some battery to spare.
2017-8-17
Use props
Desmond Phee
lvl.1
Malaysia

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-17 23:38
Mavic is not a plane - it uses energy to hover - use more to climb and save descending, so longest flights should be done ideally on 0 m  - You start from hill and run without climb
I've done 14 km (7km away) that way and had some battery to spare.

Thanks for your sharing. You are right, flight from hill or higher sea level without climb.
2017-8-18
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The propellers generate more lift in dense air and lower altitudes correspond to higher density air, so theoretically you'll see better performance at lower altitudes. Yes, airplanes do better flying at higher altitudes, but there are no combustion engines on your Mavic so it'll do better at lower altitudes.
2017-8-18
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear fansb275d089,
I, personally, fly lower than 100 m and have great views from the horizon.
But if you are on top of, for instance a mountain or cliff, your view will be better. But your battery life will be, probably, shorter.
Cheers.
2017-8-18
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I typically stay within 90-250 feet when going the distance and haven't had a lot of wind or connection issues.
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Due to difference flight environment and many other factors, it is hard to sum up a certain spec for this question. But for the sticks, we recommend not breaking and doing complex operations for lasting the energy. Thanks for bringing us the attention.
2017-8-21
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the limited altitude envelope of a Mavic the best altitude is the altitude where you don't hit any obstacles. How high you are won't matter just keep it constant.   Air speed, wind speed, & wind direction will be what affects your potential flight distance.
2017-8-21
Use props
PaulBirman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 374177 ft
Latvia

Height depends on where the wind is blowing. A few days ago I had interesting experience where on 60 m wind blew one way and at 120 completely opposite way
2017-8-21
Use props
Desmond Phee
lvl.1
Malaysia

Thanks for yours sharing.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules