1740 13 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a iPad mini 2 32GB and a iPad Pro 9.7 128GB (technically is my GF's)   after digging around alot in dji-Go app i cannot find downloading offline maps, i know feature of andriod versions..  will DJI-Go ever get native downloading of offline maps for iOS, if not, why not?  is apple handcuffing developers?  i know google maps has offline maps and downlaoded maps for iOS..     i have the free space to download and install it and i really dont want to pay extra money to get a new iPad mini with LTE or pay extra per month..  

second part of my question is i know wifi only models of iPads do not have GPS built in, would that matter for my app useage to controller if i want the mavic pro to follow me and my controller around? or does the controller have a GPS built in?    or will i have to get a device with gps built in to make it work properly?  if i have to its not huge problem, i can sell my iPad mini 2 and get one with LTE and GPS if i have to...i really want to use a tablet..

final part of the question here is which tablets have a GPS in it that are good, reccomended and i can install offline maps on (andriod right now)..?  i keep getting mixed signals from people at the store when i asked them about it... then someone else says no need cellular version..

sidenote: im preparing for my mavic pro im going to be getting next week at some point whener my bank and amazon put my money back into my account.. just want to be ready
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, are you using Spark? If yes, you can cache the map by this route: connect your device to internet WiFi, launch DJI GO 4, navigate to where you're flying, and the location had cached on the map.
For the Follow Me flight, the drone is following the GPS signal from your mobile device, and the RC doesn't have GPS model in it. Thus if your device doesn't have GPS model, Follow Me function is not available. But you can use Active Track function instead.
2017-8-18
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-18 20:05
Just to verify, are you using Spark? If yes, you can cache the map by this route: connect your device to internet WiFi, launch DJI GO 4, navigate to where you're flying, and the location had cached on the map.
For the Follow Me flight, the drone is following the GPS signal from your mobile device, and the RC doesn't have GPS model in it. Thus if your device doesn't have GPS model, Follow Me function is not available. But you can use Active Track function instead.

no im not using a spark anymore, im buying a mavic pro next week..because the spark frustrates me endlessly...and second one died... im droneless at the very moment...again.

cached maps suck, they very limited and i cant change location.. i have to re-cache if i significantly move to a new place such as on travels...  whereas offline/downloaded maps is the way to go, where i fly doesn't always have cell signal either...like my farm....at best i pick up signals if im overlooking the valley but if im on my land its dead....
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-18 20:54
no im not using a spark anymore, im buying a mavic pro next week..because the spark frustrates me endlessly...and second one died... im droneless at the very moment...again.

cached maps suck, they very limited and i cant change location.. i have to re-cache if i significantly move to a new place such as on travels...  whereas offline/downloaded maps is the way to go, where i fly doesn't always have cell signal either...like my farm....at best i pick up signals if im overlooking the valley but if im on my land its dead....

For now, only cache map works for the iOS device. And I think it works great for me. I traveled a place to a long distance with Mavic Pro the other day and I had cached the location previously. When I launched the app, it showed me the name.
2017-8-18
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-18 23:35
For now, only cache map works for the iOS device. And I think it works great for me. I traveled a place to a long distance with Mavic Pro the other day and I had cached the location previously. When I launched the app, it showed me the name.

well im not sure why but it didn't work for me.   only works in a smaller area.. i traveled only just across town and its just blank.  i have to load up wifi and let it recache..  it maybe because my iPad mini 2 is only 1GB of ram?    i know some stuff that caches to storage is limited to amount of ram provided..  

either way i would like to have offline maps on iOS.  
2017-8-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-19 00:03
well im not sure why but it didn't work for me.   only works in a smaller area.. i traveled only just across town and its just blank.  i have to load up wifi and let it recache..  it maybe because my iPad mini 2 is only 1GB of ram?    i know some stuff that caches to storage is limited to amount of ram provided..  

either way i would like to have offline maps on iOS.

I'll forward this request to our engineers. And if you would like, you can try again, cache the location of another place, shut down the internet service and check the same location again.
2017-8-19
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-19 00:53
I'll forward this request to our engineers. And if you would like, you can try again, cache the location of another place, shut down the internet service and check the same location again.

yea, it only works in those exact areas i just cached tho and only a smaller region of that area.. again maybe limitation of ram and way its cached off that ram.   and that maybe fine if all i was ever doing was going one location to another without stopping somewhere in between or deciding mid way their to go somewhere else.  trust me, im very spontaneous when i travel, i dont just go point A to point B.  i sometimes randomly want to dive over onto back roads off the highways and it would be nice to have offline maps for areas i didn't expect to go down..   also some areas where cellphone signal dead spots, those areas tend to be quite rural and in some of the most beautiful untouched areas..and having offline maps at the ready while flying would help..
2017-8-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-19 09:36
yea, it only works in those exact areas i just cached tho and only a smaller region of that area.. again maybe limitation of ram and way its cached off that ram.   and that maybe fine if all i was ever doing was going one location to another without stopping somewhere in between or deciding mid way their to go somewhere else.  trust me, im very spontaneous when i travel, i dont just go point A to point B.  i sometimes randomly want to dive over onto back roads off the highways and it would be nice to have offline maps for areas i didn't expect to go down..   also some areas where cellphone signal dead spots, those areas tend to be quite rural and in some of the most beautiful untouched areas..and having offline maps at the ready while flying would help..

Understand that. Hope our engineers also take the offline map to iOS device into consideration.
2017-8-20
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:00
Understand that. Hope our engineers also take the offline map to iOS device into consideration.

yea, would be amazing.  let me know if you hear anything.  
2017-8-21
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-20 23:00

any good updates for iOS offline maps?   i believe iOS now officially supports it.  i dont know when they started but it seems like at very least ios 10 and iOS 11 fully support offline maps from 3rd parties.
2017-8-25
Use props
AidanKless
lvl.2
Hong Kong

We will add this feature in future release,thank you!
2017-8-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AidanKless Posted at 2017-8-31 01:04
We will add this feature in future release,thank you!

uhmm...?   i dont see a dji staff badge next to your name are you part of dji staff/dev/etc?  or just hanging out here like rest of us?
2017-8-31
Use props
JMX46
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101220 ft
Canada

It looks like the DJI GO 4 app for IOS is using Apple Maps. If you open that app and browse the areas you want to fly your device caches that data and it's ready for DJI Go when it's needed without downloading again
2017-9-5
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JMX46 Posted at 2017-9-5 18:22
It looks like the DJI GO 4 app for IOS is using Apple Maps. If you open that app and browse the areas you want to fly your device caches that data and it's ready for DJI Go when it's needed without downloading again

caching barely works,in fact it didn't work when i was at centralia i cached the map back a few towns ago while having lunch.. got map loaded in memory didn't close the app only slept iPad being extra cautious since i was unsure about the environment..  luckily i didn't need it, it was epically small area... but it would have been nice to have some offline map of it availble for reference...especially if i lose it..knowing rough area of where to look in comparison to the abandoned streets would been nice if i needed to...

i had caching half work on some trips .. where it only loads partial streets, just basic vector form of larger streets and throughways, smaller side streets did not appear or looks stretched..

then times where i am just driving somewhere without any reason or cause and again having a map availble offline if i have no plans would be awesome..
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules