Mavic: Whats wrong with my image quality?
823 8 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daniel Reuber
New
Germany

Hey guys, I recently got my Mavic back from repair and it got updated to the latest firmware 3.900 something. Since then, I feel like the image quality is way worse than it was before. Especially in the details (trees and branches, textures) everything looks just blurry. Is anyone else having issues with that or did I miss something?

My settings are
auto white balance
D-Cinelike
-1 0 0
Think thats the important stuff... iso always 100

Thanks for any advice!

Ps. I will attach sample images later on!
2017-8-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

They added too much anti-noise, so try +1 on the sharpness. Sounds weird, but that's the solution to getting the anti-noise tamed.
2017-8-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

How about posting some images?
2017-8-18
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-18 17:43
They added too much anti-noise, so try +1 on the sharpness. Sounds weird, but that's the solution to getting the anti-noise tamed.

This. Make sharpness +1, and you may just see an improvement.
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Could you please provide us with the original photos from the SD card of the drone? We'll help to check.
2017-8-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Agreed, -1 sharpness can certainly give you that effect, especially in lower light. If you used those settings with your Mavic before with success, I'd be willing to bet your previous shots were taken in stronger lighting conditions. Like everyone else is saying, don't use negative sharpening and add some smoothing in post where you have finer control over your detail. Personally I think +1 pushes you into over-sharpened territory, but YMMV.  
2017-8-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-18 20:27
Agreed, -1 sharpness can certainly give you that effect, especially in lower light. If you used those settings with your Mavic before with success, I'd be willing to bet your previous shots were taken in stronger lighting conditions. Like everyone else is saying, don't use negative sharpening and add some smoothing in post where you have finer control over your detail. Personally I think +1 pushes you into over-sharpened territory, but YMMV.

Normally yes, but it seems "0" is not truly zeroed (it used to be). +1 is the only way to turn off that effect in lower light and vegetation. I tried a bunch of test shots to confirm in the shade or just dark trees & such.
2017-8-19
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Depending on the light conditions ISO 100 might be too low, it will set up a slower shutter speed which won't be fast enough to freeze action and AC movement, resulting in blurring.
2017-8-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-8-19 10:28
Normally yes, but it seems "0" is not truly zeroed (it used to be). +1 is the only way to turn off that effect in lower light and vegetation. I tried a bunch of test shots to confirm in the shade or just dark trees & such.

Can't say I've had the same experience. Zero may or may not turn off NR entirely but I don't see the smudgy watercolor effects in my videos when shooting at zero sharpening. Now, I'm also not shooting with color profiles currently if that makes a difference, using True Color because I'm too lazy to grade.
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules