Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Eclipse with P4
1067 8 2017-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Hi ya'll was just wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to use the P4 to film the upcoming eclipse? If it is ok I would assume i would need a filter? All your help is greatly appreciated.
2017-8-18
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

Well camera's work like the human eye. You might blind out the sensor/damage it, but yah I'm thinking a filter is a good idea. Maybe wait for the pro's to chime in
2017-8-18
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

In my humble opinion you would need a Solar filter.  Much stronger than any ND filter.
2017-8-18
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

The gimbal angle may be the problem.  The sun is nearly overhead for much of the country during, and the max angle is about 30 up for the camera.
Most talk more about capturing the shadow as it moves quickly across the area, which is easy...and downward.
2017-8-18
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-8-18 17:59
The gimbal angle may be the problem.  The sun is nearly overhead for much of the country during, and the max angle is about 30 up for the camera.
Most talk more about capturing the shadow as it moves quickly across the area, which is easy...and downward.

That's a good point I didn't even think about the gimbal, thank you.
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to check the previous one: http://forum.dji.com/thread-109262-1-1.html
2017-8-18
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-18 23:27
I would recommend you to check the previous one: http://forum.dji.com/thread-109262-1-1.html

Thank you Susan.
2017-8-19
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-8-18 17:59

Yes, there is no point using a drone to photo the sun/moon during the eclipse, the drone maybe a little closer to them but 400ft is not going to make much difference in 8 light minutes of distance!

Also you either wont be able to look up high enough or will have the props in full view, I guess the first.

Catching the shadow, maybe passing over your favourite view or passed you home is a much better idea and gives you something individual to you rather than exactly the same thing millions of others have photo'd.

One thing I would recommend is to get the drone out of audible range, part of the experience of an eclipse is when all the birds go to roost and everything goes silent, you don't want to spoil that experience for everyone around with drone noise.  If you are in a suitable location then maybe the time to break the 400ft rule, but do stay safe.
2017-8-19
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

As I mentioned on a different thread:

Regarding attempts to photograph/film the eclipse with a Phantom (Mavic/Spark structures are different):

Depending on latitude, the sun will likely be too high in the sky for the extra 30 degrees enabled by the Go4 app option. Since you would be shooting up anyway, the need to even be aloft would seem unnecessary--you could lean the quad back (on a table) and get the sun. (But without any zoom capability, I don't see the reasoning).

But if you wanted to be in the air, you might be able to attach a small mirror below the quad (with OA/sonar systems turned off), such that the front edge would be flush with the Phantom's front legs. That way you shoot the shadow moving over the ground, using the level (or slightly downward) gimbal, then point it downward (into the mirror) to catch totality. And if you get the edge positioned just right, you might be able to catch both the shadow and the sun in the same frame. You might need some testing tomorrow at the same time as the eclipse on Monday.

Also, time lapse would seem unnecessary, as the total time of totality at any location is about 3 minutes.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules