Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark does not keep stable height after launching (goes up and down)
2087 6 2017-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bastosboi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 232300 ft
Spain

Since three days, my Spark does not keep a constant height directly after launching.

I have waited for >10 GPS satellites, before launching.
In the past, it would rise to 120cm above the ground and keep its position.

However, since three days it goes up into the air, but then goes up and down up and down, sometimes touching the ground, then rising again. When I steer it upwards, it rises and then after some seconds "fighting" the drone, which wants to descend, it somehow keeps in the air.

Could this be due to steel in the ground? I was launching off a concrete structure, maybe it was reinforced with steel?
Should I maybe recalibrate compass and IMU? Have not calibrated IMU since I bought the Spark three weeks ago.

Thanks for some information.

2017-8-19
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

When you first start, in the DJI go 4 app are all the pre-flight checks  normal,  are there any warnings e.g imu or compass calibration "red triangles" ?

If there was magnetic interference of the compass it should show up in the pre-flight checks, you can check on the interference around the launch area by looking at the sensor page in the Go 4 app, if they are red bars instead of green and yellow, you need to move or do a re-calibration
2017-8-19
Use props
Anuvis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

If you are taking of from a surface like grass or shiny surface maybe thats the problem.The down sensors see the movement of the grass from the air in my situation and moves up down if you go for example 10 meters it stabilizes?
2017-8-19
Use props
bastosboi
lvl.3
Spain

lannes Posted at 2017-8-19 10:29
When you first start, in the DJI go 4 app are all the pre-flight checks  normal,  are there any warnings e.g imu or compass calibration "red triangles" ?

If there was magnetic interference of the compass it should show up in the pre-flight checks, you can check on the interference around the launch area by looking at the sensor page in the Go 4 app, if they are red bars instead of green and yellow, you need to move or do a re-calibration

I always screen all the pre-flight checks, nothing warns me or is out of the normal.

Regarding surface: One time the start was a in between rocks in the mountains, so the spark did not see a flat surface as a reference. There I could understand that the Spark could not determine the ground and so it could not keep the height. Once I "forced it to go up" by sending it straight upwards (like the 10meters you mentioned), then yes, it stayed stable.

The other time however, the launching surface was dead-flat concrete surface (no moving grass or the like)... maybe was filled with reinforced mesh. But the compass did not show any warning.
2017-8-19
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Try cleaning the downward sensors.
2017-8-19
Use props
bastosboi
lvl.3
Spain

Thanks guys for the tips.
I have found out the issue. before the issues started, I had changed one of the propellers, since one was slightly damaged.

The replacement propellers I have bought from Amazon, but these were not original DJI ones. The bearings seemed quite stiff compared to the original ones and I just found out that the props do not properly unfold, i.e. they do not stretch out to 180 degrees once the motors have started.

This caused the Spark to compensate with the other three propellers and therefore the Spark did not keep the height (and it also was drifting aside).

I will file a complaint with the vendor for a replacement or return. Thread can be closed. thanks for your assist.
2017-8-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

bastosboi Posted at 2017-8-19 13:56
Thanks guys for the tips.
I have found out the issue. before the issues started, I had changed one of the propellers, since one was slightly damaged.

Thanks for your feedback. Please feel free to contact us if there is any further issues.
2017-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules