Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new X5R, got a major issue.
1331 7 2017-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cyclops2810
lvl.1
Australia

So, I bought an Osmo+ and loved it so much that I started looking into the Osmo Raw. Downloaded raw files, fell in love with the quality and decided we should get one. Well I got it set up and turned it on, and oh my god, the fan sounded awful, but then got worse as it wound up to full speed and it sounds like a small leaf blower. Shouldn't' it go silent when I start recording? There's nothing in the menu.

2017-8-20
Use props
martinfueloep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1551401 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Nope, the Osmo Raw stays that loud all the time.
2017-8-20
Use props
cyclops2810
lvl.1
Australia

Just been looking around, this is bad. I didn't see anything about this when I was looking into buying it. Are DJI working on a variable speed firmware? Surely it has an internal temp meter that could go low on record, then slowly turn up the fan when it increases in temp, much like Red cameras.

The microphone that's included picks up nothing but the roar of the fans. You can barely hear anyone talking over it.
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry that the fans of Osmo Raw cannot be turned off and cannot be turned up slowly when it increases in temp because the camera is easily to get hot and need fans to keep working to cool itself and make sure the footage quality.
We are sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused.
2017-8-20
Use props
Major Squeeze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13947 ft
United Kingdom

I've just purchased mine today and I'm having exactly the same issue (Non Raw version). The tiny mic provided does nothing to prevent my X5 Pro sounding like an aircraft carrier. It's seriously bad.

Can I mitigate the issue by buying any external microphone so I can pin to myself or a mic on the camera pointing away from the noise? I was going to buy one anyway and need to know if mic directional technology can solve this by only picking up a mic pointed to my face? Is this possible?

This camera is unusable as it stands and a problem like this should NOT exist for a pro camera costing nearly £2000!

Many Thanks.
2017-8-22
Use props
ifonline
lvl.2
United States

I'm genuinely curious how my full frame Nikon doesn't burst into flames when I use it, but the OSMOs need obnoxiously loud fans to prevent some sort of thermonuclear meltdown.
2017-8-22
Use props
cyclops2810
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-20 22:19
Sorry that the fans of Osmo Raw cannot be turned off and cannot be turned up slowly when it increases in temp because the camera is easily to get hot and need fans to keep working to cool itself and make sure the footage quality.
We are sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused.

Thanks Mundy, can you please check with the engineers to see if there a way they can reduce fan noise when recording NON-raw files? Basically using the X5R as an X5 in situations where we need the camera to be less noisy?
2017-8-23
Use props
cyclops2810
lvl.1
Australia

Mindy when I spoke to support about it, they said to wait for the next firmware where they'll lower fan noise. This contradicts what you've said so I'm wondering who is correct? I'm absolutely floored over how good the image quality is, I've seen lower quality images come out of cameras 5 times the price, so I love the camera, but I need to be able to actually use it on a professional set with a soundie with boom and not have the Osmo raw jet squeal going in the background.
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules