1934 32 2017-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know most threads bring up issues or problems but I'd thought about bringing up some Good News !

Mavic totally ROCKS !  Went out for a flight and took it out 6200 meters ( 3.8 miles ) over some land but mostly water. Visited a couple of small islands and headed back home.

Landed precisely where to took off.

I was totally blown away and still today I'm complelety amazed at the technology of this copter and the distance of how far it can travel over water.

DJI thanks for created such a superb drone/quadcopter!

2017-8-20
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

thats fantastic, i plan on doing a range test from variou areas once i get my mavic pro next week.. prob be wednesday when it arrives, im ordering hopefully monday.  that's when my money should appear.  

i managed to get my little ex sparky out over 1.5 miles in some locations, those places i plane on testing mavic pro in seeing how much further it goes.  over water will be a bit more difficult until i go to the beach.. but few areas may work until i test at the beach.
2017-8-20
Use props
Capt Jack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37566 ft

United States

Great to hear the positive comment, It gets very tiring reading this forum. I always look for the positive threads
2017-8-20
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-20 14:33
thats fantastic, i plan on doing a range test from variou areas once i get my mavic pro next week.. prob be wednesday when it arrives, im ordering hopefully monday.  that's when my money should appear.  

i managed to get my little ex sparky out over 1.5 miles in some locations, those places i plane on testing mavic pro in seeing how much further it goes.  over water will be a bit more difficult until i go to the beach.. but few areas may work until i test at the beach.

Thanks ! I think you'll be quite happy with the MP.
2017-8-20
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Capt Jack Posted at 2017-8-20 14:59
Great to hear the positive comment, It gets very tiring reading this forum. I always look for the positive threads

I cracked up when I read you're responses b/c I totally agree. Although I like to read some of the comments regarding how something didn't work b/c I can learned from it...too many negative comments or problems makes me paranoid and think, is this going to happen to me/mine.

Not quite the case for most I'd say; so far so good in my case.

2017-8-20
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I just snagged a mavic pro 2 days ago for 700$ brand new. The guy got it as a gift and just wasnt into drones. He wanted 800 and i told him i had 7 cash he took it. Glad he did cuz this drone rocks. Def best signal hands down out of all dji drones. It whoops my p4 and p4p it consistent. And i can also get lower when i am farther out. Mavic is a bad machine stoked!
2017-8-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Welcome to the club!
2017-8-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We really appreciate your positive inputs. Thanks for the love of our product. This is really encouraged. Some people might prefer to post their unpleasant experiences in the forum and hope to get more attention, we also thank for this voice and feedback to our products and customers service which will help us to move forward. If there is any problem, you are welcome to post here and we will try our best to get it addressed.
2017-8-20
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear Sportbike_Pilot,
As we can see at your posts, you are a positive guy that wants to share good experiences and a good vibe.
Congratulations for your way to see the things.
Today I posted in one newbie pilot thread that was initiating here saying to him not to be panic on reading so many tragic reports.
It is quite exhausting to read only disclaims.
We know that people look for answers but it very relaxing to read some good news.
As I said: congrats.
2017-8-21
Use props
fans7744acd0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2169731 ft
United Kingdom

That's far, 6200meters! You must have balls of steel. I've only been 1700 meters, I was glad to see again!
2017-8-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I find myself 5-6 km away to be Mavic's suit spot to travel, look around and return safely. Even climbing on a way out those distances are OK. More is for the record (i  flew >7 km away but it was nervous  here and there fly).
2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-21 05:02
Dear Sportbike_Pilot,
As we can see at your posts, you are a positive guy that wants to share good experiences and a good vibe.
Congratulations for your way to see the things.

Thanks for your feedback. I also another perspective for me is that DJI has sold thousands and thousands of these copters but I haven't read as many complaints? Is another way to look at it.

2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-21 05:04
That's far, 6200meters! You must have balls of steel. I've only been 1700 meters, I was glad to see again!

Honestly I was a bit nervous but took that energy to make sure all bases were covered and kept an eye on the screen for any flags.

When I heard the Mavic over head upon hitting the home point ! It was like music to my ears.
2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-21 05:09
I find myself 5-6 km away to be Mavic's suit spot to travel, look around and return safely. Even climbing on a way out those distances are OK. More is for the record (i  flew >7 km away but it was nervous  here and there fly).

So true, 6 -7 m sounds like the sweet spot. I couldn't believe how responsive the Mavic was so far away. Left with 100% battery and started to work my way back with 70% to play it safe. Practically no wind (4 mph winds) with sunny skies. Ideal for flight I think.

BTW, I've only calibrated (compass and IMU) on MP once when I first purchased. Only believe it needs to be done if requested.
2017-8-21
Use props
fans7744acd0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I know its an amazing piece of kit! But i really think range testing will end in disaster at some point.
2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-21 09:18
I know its an amazing piece of kit! But i really think range testing will end in disaster at some point.

Possibly. If the copter is designed to meet those distance qualifications along with whatever copter capabilities (as DJI claims) and if the pilot is using good skills/judgment it should be okay would be my best guess.

There's always a risk involved when flying any copter for that matter. Improving skills is a way to become a better pilot and possibly minimize the risks.

Knowing this, if the copter is somehow lost, then be prepared to go without one or just buy another one. I'm prepared to buy another if lost at sea.

Just my opinion.
2017-8-21
Use props
KyleM
lvl.1
United States

I start getting weak signal to the controller messages at 2000'.  Anyone know why this is?  Do trees weaken the signal?  
2017-8-21
Use props
Charli27
lvl.1
Australia

Good to read some positive feedback very reassuring for a newbie coming into the world of drones than you
2017-8-21
Use props
fans7744acd0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-8-21 09:41
Possibly. If the copter is designed to meet those distance qualifications along with whatever copter capabilities (as DJI claims) and if the pilot is using good skills/judgment it should be okay would be my best guess.

There's always a risk involved when flying any copter for that matter. Improving skills is a way to become a better pilot and possibly minimize the risks.

Well i was reading on here that somebodys prop exploded mid flight! I know that could happen close or far but can you imagine the hassle for it go done over a built up area town or city, you would never get to it in time before somebody found it.
2017-8-21
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully DJI will come up with a MP2 that will be higher more intricate drone not a lower grade MP.
2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-21 13:32
Hopefully DJI will come up with a MP2 that will be higher more intricate drone not a lower grade MP.

I'm hoping that's the case and who knows when that'll be but for now I'm so enjoying this Mavic Pro !

2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-8-21 12:23
Well i was reading on here that somebodys prop exploded mid flight! I know that could happen close or far but can you imagine the hassle for it go done over a built up area town or city, you would never get to it in time before somebody found it.

Yeah I tend to fly and hover close by for a few mins to make sure all is clear before going further out. Again I've read those complaints on forum but also take stuff 'with a grain of salt".  I've read of issues concerning the copter/app/electronics etc but also have read of issues regarding complete pilot error which of course is to blame.

For me, I wouldn't want to fly through and above a city/town..but again that's my choice. I'll take my chances of flying where there aren't too many risk factors below the Mavic.
2017-8-21
Use props
Ready4Launch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51401 ft
United States

Just to be clear, that 6200 is pretty much a clear line of sight, yes?  I got mine in June, crashed it indoors, messed the gimbal, and just got it flying again after a 3 week delay in moving.  I'm flying it about 1/2 mi. away right now, but I just stand in front of my house in SW Pennsylvania where there are lots of tall trees.  When I got it the furthest away that I've had it, I got a message saying the signal was weak and to adjust the antennas.  I decided it was time to fly closer back towards the house.
2017-8-21
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ready4Launch Posted at 2017-8-21 17:03
Just to be clear, that 6200 is pretty much a clear line of sight, yes?  I got mine in June, crashed it indoors, messed the gimbal, and just got it flying again after a 3 week delay in moving.  I'm flying it about 1/2 mi. away right now, but I just stand in front of my house in SW Pennsylvania where there are lots of tall trees.  When I got it the furthest away that I've had it, I got a message saying the signal was weak and to adjust the antennas.  I decided it was time to fly closer back towards the house.

Good move to bring it closer to you and avoid the trees but more importantly you listened to the feedback about weak signal.

In my opinion, I steer very clear from trees, especially tall ones. I always try to keep my altitude higher than the tallest object around the flight path.

I tend to survey the area first then decide how far up I need to be before flying, especially if I plan to fly 'out of sight' for even just a bit of time.

Oh when I first got the MP, tried flying in the house...? ...bad move...will never do that again. Almost crashed into a wall.

I think just not meant for indoor. It's a beast of a copter that needs to be free in the wind and def not cramped up inside a house.
2017-8-22
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

So far I'm loving the Mavic, can't believe how well it performs for a small drone.

I have a racing drone and a Yuneec Q500+ ..... the racing drone is madness, the Yuneec boring but stable .... the Mavic is a cross between them but closer to the racer with some wizardry built into the electronics and software .... Best of both worlds I guess
2017-8-22
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-8-22 07:58
So far I'm loving the Mavic, can't believe how well it performs for a small drone.

I have a racing drone and a Yuneec Q500+ ..... the racing drone is madness, the Yuneec boring but stable .... the Mavic is a cross between them but closer to the racer with some wizardry built into the electronics and software .... Best of both worlds I guess

So true; super fun to fly in Sport mode I think.  I did 40 mph a couple of flights ago ! I was like woah !
2017-8-22
Use props
Dread-Pirate-Ro
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Bigga J Posted at 2017-8-22 07:58

and another thing to bare in mind, you dont know what the wind is doing far away! i nearly got court out and had real trouble getting the mavic back home, finally arrived back with 3% battery! im not risking it anymore, asking for trouble IMO
2017-8-22
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-8-22 08:21
So true; super fun to fly in Sport mode I think.  I did 40 mph a couple of flights ago ! I was like woah !

lol .... 40 feels slow to me due to my racing one that will fly at 80mph but 40 feels fast enough for the Mavic given the tech on board.
2017-8-23
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dread-Pirate-Ro Posted at 2017-8-22 11:37
and another thing to bare in mind, you dont know what the wind is doing far away! i nearly got court out and had real trouble getting the mavic back home, finally arrived back with 3% battery! im not risking it anymore, asking for trouble IMO

lol ... Squeaky bum time i guess.

I tend to land well before the warning comes up on the screen.
2017-8-23
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-8-23 01:31

Exactly. Before taking flight, I typically check the wind conditions and if all checks out fine, I'll head out to fly. I also pay attention to the warnings on the app, if it states heavy wind conditions, well I try to adjust altitude. If that adjustment doesn't work then guess what, I'm heading back home. Allowing the battery to wither away out there in heavy winds is asking for major trouble. I'm almost always coming back with at least 65% battery or at least bringing the MP closer to me to play it safe.
2017-8-23
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigga J Posted at 2017-8-23 01:31

Precisely my thought.

2017-8-23
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Those wind warnings are obnoxious i remember when i firdt got my p4p those would go on with no wimd. They have gotten better lately. Not as frequent that i got them. So there was a time where I paid those wind warnings no attention LOL....anyways love my mavic pro the 2x zoom is really impressive love how steady it is too. I find the spark pretty steady also. My p4p likes to go up and down a tad sort of like a slight drift ...the mavic rocks!
2017-8-23
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-23 06:34
Those wind warnings are obnoxious i remember when i firdt got my p4p those would go on with no wimd. They have gotten better lately. Not as frequent that i got them. So there was a time where I paid those wind warnings no attention LOL....anyways love my mavic pro the 2x zoom is really impressive love how steady it is too. I find the spark pretty steady also. My p4p likes to go up and down a tad sort of like a slight drift ...the mavic rocks!

'They have gotten better lately. Not as frequent that i got them.'

Yeah don't get them too often as well...pretty much when there's serious winds going then it pops up.
2017-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules