Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I2 Go App apparently destroyed an iPad Air after FW upgrade
1765 21 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans50001f1c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124636 ft
United States

Last night, I was using the I2, props removed for about two hours, just familiarizing myself with the Go App 4. Everything was working flawlessly. I took numerous screen captures just to remind me where various icons were.

Today when I fired everything up, the GO 4 app indicated that I had "incompatible firmware" and that I had to upgrade it. I operated the "slider" switch and the firmware upgrade appear to complete correctly, albeit with a puzzling message about disconnecting and reconnecting the data cable (as though I had been using DJI Assistant rather than the Go app).

Therefore, I power cycled the I2, the RC, and the iPad Air.

Note: I do not know what version(s) of firmware was installed where last night (I hadn't got that far), nor do I know what the compulsory firmware update this afternoon installed. There was no indication of version numbers during the update. The Go app that caused the destruction is 4.1.5 (downloaded over the past weekend). App. database 01.00.01.04.

The Go 4 app then indicated that the compass needed recalibrating (which didn't seem unreasonable given the firmware upgrade), so I went outside and completed the compass calibration. Just as I was coming back indoors (with the aircraft, RC, and iPad all still powered up, I got the "Mobile device CPU fully loaded. Related performance will be affected." I had it on screen just for long enough to do a screen capture. At which point the display on the iPad turned into a series of vertical colored lines and went black.

Now, no matter what I do, it appears that the iPad Air has been damaged and will not even start up.  so I have no option to but to take it to the Apple store to have it repaired (of course, it's out of Applecare by now).

I'm very disturbed to see that DJI's firmware is "over-driving" the iPad so badly that it will destroy itself -- especially because I was using the setup flawlessly last night for two hours. It would suggest that the new firmware -- whatever version it is, has not been adequately tested and is capable of actual destructive behavior. I've searched the forum and can see reference to "Mobile device CPU fully loaded," but I have not been able to find out whether anyone else's iPads have been irreparably damaged. Anyone else had this problem?

I do have a second iPad Air, but I hardly dare connect it for fear it will destroy a second iPad.

Thanks in advance
Andy

2017-8-21
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As posted on the other forum it is not possible for the Go app or any app to damage your IPad, it's simply not possible on many levels.

You either have a damaged screen or lose screen cable or it's hw failure, there is a lot of protection o such as thermal throttling to prevent damage with heat.  

That's not to say though using it in a case or leaving it in direct sunlight would not do it.

Have you tried pressing and holding both the power and home buttons together for 10 seconds ?
2017-8-21
Use props
ajohnson-laird
lvl.2
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-8-21 15:44
As posted on the other forum it is not possible for the Go app or any app to damage your IPad, it's simply not possible on many levels.

You either have a damaged screen or lose screen cable or it's hw failure, there is a lot of protection o such as thermal throttling to prevent damage with heat.  

Thanks for the posting. I would like to agree with you that it is not possible. I am merely recounting what happened.

It sounds like you have some evidence to suggest that it is not possible for an app. to "overdrive" hardware and thus cause damage. Can you share this information please? I am a forensic software analyst (I analyze computer-based evidence and testify about it as an expert in Court), so such evidence would be very helpful to know.

The screen was not damaged and, as far as I can tell, there was nothing that would cause a cable to come loose. It was not left in direct sunlight -- in fact immediately after the failure, the back of the iPad had no "hot spots" and did not feel particularly warm.

I have tried single button restarting, double button restarting, connecting up to a Mac (to see if iTunes would start up), and also connecting to a charging cable (to see if that would wake it up). The iPad was 100% charged and had been in used for about 20 minutes before it shut down. I have an appointment with the local Apple Store Genius bar tomorrow afternoon so I should know more once they have inspected it.

Thanks
Andy
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I agree with Mad, it is not possible that the firmware updating damage your iPad, and ''Mobile device CPU fully loaded'' is a new  APP feature, which can detect the usage of the CPU for the mobile device. This prompt will pop out when the CPU of the mobile device is fully loaded.  The mobile device may warn up and the CPU may underclock or be fully loaded, which affects flying experiences.
Hope  Apple store will help to find the reason of why it got damaged.
Besides, please connect Inspire 2 to your computer and update/refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2, please make sure the firmware is updated successfully.

2017-8-21
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-21 23:28
I agree with Mad, it is not possible that the firmware updating damage your iPad, and ''Mobile device CPU fully loaded'' is a new  APP feature, which can detect the usage of the CPU for the mobile device. This prompt will pop out when the CPU of the mobile device is fully loaded.  The mobile device may warn up and the CPU may underclock or be fully loaded, which affects flying experiences.
Besides, please connect Inspire 2 to your computer and update/refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2, please make sure the firmware is updated successfully.

Mindy, do you know why the latest firmware update causes the iPad to get so hot and to start having serious issues flying?

We don't even stay in the air long now since having so many problems. And the iPad gets so hot that we stop flying just so the heat does not cause damage.

We have seen that happen in the past -- where a certain degree of heat has actually loosened glue on the LCD of the iPad, destroying the connection to the video chip. So it really is possible; maybe not directly from a firmware update or an app, but heat can be extremely damaging.
2017-8-22
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I agree with the original poster. The last firmware update snapped the arms off my new sunglasses, drank all my beer out of my fridge then ran off with my wife. DJI won't be happy until they have destroyed all our lives, how do they sleep at night!
Seriously though, This is not possible.

Mark G.
2017-8-22
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-8-22 12:18
I agree with the original poster. The last firmware update snapped the arms off my new sunglasses, drank all my beer out of my fridge then ran off with my wife. DJI won't be happy until they have destroyed all our lives, how do they sleep at night!
Seriously though, This is not possible.

Umm ... It drank ALL of your beer? My GOODNESS Mark, this is really not good.

Bricking our Inspire 2 or melting our iPad is one thing. But, seriously though ... We need to have a moment of silence.
2017-8-22
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-22 12:31
Umm ... It drank ALL of your beer? My GOODNESS Mark, this is really not good.

Bricking our Inspire 2 or melting our iPad is one thing. But, seriously though ... We need to have a moment of silence.

I know! Right? Firmware updates suck! They are to blame for everything! DJI are out to get us, this is for sure. {:4_157:} {:4_142:}

Mark G.

2017-8-23
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-8-23 13:00
I know! Right? Firmware updates suck! They are to blame for everything! DJI are out to get us, this is for sure. {:4_157:} {:4_142:}

Mark G.

Has anyone else notice that anytime you try to use a mad emoticon, this forum just shows the code?
For example here's the fiery mad emoticon.{:4_154:}
But here is a happy emoticon.
2017-8-23
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Mark , if that thing drank ALL of my beer, I would SERIOUSLY : Enter GO app general settings and enable "calibrate map coordinates (For China Mainland)" and send it home! {:4_154:}{:4_142:}Firehead Scream head, LMAO head.Safety First! Ken.
2017-8-23
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-8-23 13:10
Has anyone else notice that anytime you try to use a mad emoticon, this forum just shows the code?
For example here's the fiery mad emoticon.{:4_154:}
But here is a happy emoticon.

Ya ... I just gave up on any non-happy emoticons.

Actually, the sad one still works. But anything worse than sad is just the code. Ha ha ...
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-23 15:42
Ya ... I just gave up on any non-happy emoticons.

Actually, the sad one still works. But anything worse than sad is just the code. Ha ha ...

I feel for you. Ha ;-)
I only use this one... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-8-21 15:44

I replaced the screen of my iPad3 on Monday. But I had to replace the iPad battery as well.
My battery was puffed up so much, that it had pushed the screen off the back.  

This iPad still heats up pretty good. Compared to my dedicated device, an iPad Air2 Cellular that remains cool to the touch.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-24 08:02
I replaced the screen of my iPad3 on Monday. But I had to replace the iPad battery as well.
My battery was puffed up so much, that it had pushed the screen off the back.  

Did you get all of your parts from IFIXIT for the iPad?  They have pretty good support for Apple stuff and DIY

Rich
2017-8-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-8-24 08:39
Did you get all of your parts from IFIXIT for the iPad?  They have pretty good support for Apple stuff and DIY

Rich

No, I visited a small device repair shop, near my home, & had them do it, right! Ha
DrFix.ca are very knowledgable about this stuff.
I didn't want to flux it up, further. Besides, you need specific tools and a special adhesive too.
Plus they charge the new battery and test it, to make sure everything is working correctly, before they button it up. For the screen and battery $160.00 plus the dude threw in a new USB charging cable. ;-)

I know there are bright folks, who challenge these tasks, and complete the mission, on a home work bench.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
ajohnson-laird
lvl.2
United States

Just to post a follow-up. I took the iPad down to the local Genius at the Apple Store and described the sequence of events that I had observed. The person with whom I spoke agreed that, even if the Go App was maxing out the CPU/GPU,  the iPad should have gone into its own thermal shutdown/protection logic, display a warning message and, if necessary power off.

Clearly this didn't happen in my case, and, because the "system on a chip" (SoC, that has the CPU, GPU and (I presume) the RAM), is dead, there was no way to access any of the system logs that might have told us what caused the SoC to pop its clogs. The Genius also observed that he had seen one or two iPad Air 1's that were also completely dead in the past months -- but, of course, not unreasonably, could not be certain of the cause of death because of the lack of syslogs.

My "workaround" was to pay $250 to get a refurbed iPad Air 1 (still perfectly viable for general tablet use), and to purchase a pair of iPad Pro 10.5's. However, that had the knock-on effect of then needing to get a Polar Pro RC extension devices so that the iPad Pro can be mounted on to the RC (it's about 5mm longer on the short axis and will not fit the standard RC mount).

Hopefully the current Go 4 app. will not push the iPad Pro 10.5's A10X Fusion CPU/GPU as hard or as close to thermal shutdown where the iPad's own thermal shutdown needs to be triggered.

Bottom line: Was the Go 4 app part of the causal chain that killed the iPad Air 1, or was it purely coincidental that it was the app that caused the SoC to get too hot and the iPad Air 1's thermal self-protection just happened to fail? Lacking the evidence from the system logs, I doubt anyone can say either way.

Andy.
2017-9-2
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

ajohnson-laird Posted at 2017-9-2 10:06
Just to post a follow-up. I took the iPad down to the local Genius at the Apple Store and described the sequence of events that I had observed. The person with whom I spoke agreed that, even if the Go App was maxing out the CPU/GPU,  the iPad should have gone into its own thermal shutdown/protection logic, display a warning message and, if necessary power off.

Clearly this didn't happen in my case, and, because the "system on a chip" (SoC, that has the CPU, GPU and (I presume) the RAM), is dead, there was no way to access any of the system logs that might have told us what caused the SoC to pop its clogs. The Genius also observed that he had seen one or two iPad Air 1's that were also completely dead in the past months -- but, of course, not unreasonably, could not be certain of the cause of death because of the lack of syslogs.

My opinion, as a datacenter engineer, is that the DJI GO 4 app has been given reckless access to the iOS system. Maybe it is Apple's fault for not being able to deal with quick overheating events ... or maybe it is DJI's fault for expecting everyone to be flying with the most cutting edge tablet hardware. (No, DJI, the most cutting edge hardware is your technology ... NOT our "viewing tablet".)

But realistically, if the iPad begins overheating, but before the Apple safety measures kick in ... if you are in direct sunlight (or even 100°F ambient temp), that could be enough to push it over the edge completely out of the scope of any preventative measures.

I have literally destroyed an iPad screen (completely unrelated to the horrible firmware) due to heat. So I know for a fact that this is possible with relatively minimal effort.
2017-9-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-21 23:28

Overloading the CPU can damage any device, nothing's impossible....
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-3 14:25
Overloading the CPU can damage any device, nothing's impossible....

This function has been much improved in the previous APP, but many customers feedback that this error still pops up quickly and easily and is quite annoying.
I just got the update from our engineers that we will keep improving this issue in the next APP, sorry again for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.
2017-9-4
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-4 01:40
This function has been much improved in the previous APP, but many customers feedback that this error still pops up quickly and easily and is quite annoying.
I just got the update from our engineers that we will keep improving this issue in the next APP, sorry again for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.

Mindy, would you be able to get an official statement from the engineers about what is happening to so many Phantom and Inspire owners?

It would be so comforting to have an actual acknowledgement. As for right now (and I think I speak for just about every DJI owner who is having issues), we just feel hopeless.

There is no question in our mind that this is a result of the recent firmware and/or the recent app updates.

2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-4 11:41
Mindy, would you be able to get an official statement from the engineers about what is happening to so many Phantom and Inspire owners?

It would be so comforting to have an actual acknowledgement. As for right now (and I think I speak for just about every DJI owner who is having issues), we just feel hopeless.

I understand your frustration, we are not trying to evade the problem, but working on locate the problem.
We have opened a thread to invite customers to join in our Inspire 2 firmware beta test. If you are willing to, please click the link in the thread to apply.
2017-9-6
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-6 04:00
I understand your frustration, we are not trying to evade the problem, but working on locate the problem.
We have opened a thread to invite customers to join in our Inspire 2 firmware beta test. If you are willing to, please click the link in the thread to apply.

Ok sounds good, thanks Mindy.

Yea I know that you aren't evading. But it is so very frustrating. I would have to think the engineers know more than they are telling you.

For us, it is just like we are sitting back wondering what the heck is going on, since it has been so long. Luckily for me, I didn't update to the June 2017 firmware until almost August! So I got an extra month of normal flight.

But still, something needs to be made available to us, whether it is a comforting acknowledgement, a firmware downgrade or a proper fix.

Thank you Mindy.
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules