Feature request - pre-set smooth turning ramp
626 5 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicJazz
lvl.1
United States

I suppose there are two types of drone users - those who are primarily into flying and those who are primarily into capturing video/pictures. I belong to the latter group: Flying itself, while cool, is not the primary reason I bought the Mavic. I want to capture beautiful footage, and the Mavic is a tool for that.
For those of us willing to give up some control, it would be nice to have the drone's movements be smoothed out by the software, not our shaky hand. Many of us are very tense when flying and turning the drone smoothly is very hard. Tripod mode doesn't really solve that issue either.
I know that we can set curves to adjust the response of the sticks, but we still need to move them carefully to achieve a smooth pan, for example, and a little shake or wiggle is immediately visible. My suggestion would be to use the stick input not to control the *acceleration* of the turn, but the *maximum turning speed*, whith the start being equally smooth, no matter how far we move the stick.
Software could pre-set a slow ramp up of the turning speed, and the amount we deflect the stick would determine how far up the turning speed ramps. So, for example, moving the stick 1/4 of its travel would slowly ramp up the turn to a certain tuning speed, while moving it to 100% would use the same slow ramp, but would continue speeding up the turn. This would completely eliminate the jerky pans caused by deflecting the stick a little too far, even when the current response ramp is set to start very slowly. There could of course be unlimited adjustments to the pre-set ramp speed - not every pan must look like a dream sequence - but to at least have one of these ramps preset and selectable would be a great help for those of us, who have no ambition to be "flight-virtuosos", but would love to shoot smooth footage.
2017-8-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

After seeing a post similar to yours a day or two ago, and experiencing similar issues with jitter on the pan, I started investigating Litchi pre-programmed flight options more to dial in perfectly smooth camera paths.  I'm getting pretty close to ditching DJI's software and just use Litchi.  Although I'd like a smoother pan option, my investigation of Litchi is yielding a better overall solution to the problem.
2017-8-22
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think your idea is good as many users have difficulty getting the pan correct. It should be possible by using an Advanced Flight Mode to control the panning. I am not sure if you have used Active Track but if it is set to follow a subject around in a circle, the pan is perfect in movement.
I certainly think it is possible.
2017-8-22
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I always was thinking about that feature. I would really need an automated feature in order to pan smoothly.

You can achieve something similar by starting a POI and turning the Mavic's nose to view completely opposite to POI's direction. If you set a small radius and low speed you can achieve a relatively smooth PAN. But it's too much a hassle to do all that.  

But obviously, if DJI implemented a feature to do just that , smooth automated PANs, it would be just great!
2017-8-23
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Add my vote to the suggestion!
2017-8-23
Use props
dspecgsx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

KryptoNyte Posted at 2017-8-22 16:02
After seeing a post similar to yours a day or two ago, and experiencing similar issues with jitter on the pan, I started investigating Litchi pre-programmed flight options more to dial in perfectly smooth camera paths.  I'm getting pretty close to ditching DJI's software and just use Litchi.  Although I'd like a smoother pan option, my investigation of Litchi is yielding a better overall solution to the problem.

I use DJI Ground Station Pro (it's free) and will do almost exactly what the OP is asking for.  I use waypoints close together so I can control rotation and camera angle as the ramp ascends or descends.

http://www.dji.com/ground-station-pro
2017-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules