Firmware .0400 on Mavic and .0900 on Goggles head tracking yaw
1620 12 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markol
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11913 ft
Canada

I'm currently running .0400 FW on my Mavic as it's the most stable and don't want to upgrade to a newer firmware. I received my Goggles yesterday and they had .0900 firmware installed and whenever I try to enable head tracking with the Goggles, only the Pitch moves, but the yaw does not.

Does anyone know a way I can get the yaw head tracking to work without having to upgrade my Mavic firmware? I tried connecting Goggles to DJI Assistant to downgrade to .0800 as I heard that might work with the yaw tracking but only .1000 is listed as available firmware to upgrade to. Nothing to downgrade.

Anyone can help?
2017-8-23
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

What makes you think old firmware is more stable?
2017-8-23
Use props
markol
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11913 ft
Canada

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-23 17:56

Just reading about a lot of people having issues with disconnecting and random crashes/drops using newer firmware. Many people have said that .0400 seems to be the most solid build so far.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Markol, we suggest upgrading the drone's firmware because we can not confirm more about this due to the firmware's inconsistent. Thanks for your understanding.
2017-8-23
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-23 19:10
Hi Markol, we suggest upgrading the drone's firmware because we can not confirm more about this due to the firmware's inconsistent. Thanks for your understanding.

That is actually a lucky configuration. We can't choose to turn on or off pitch or yaw, and pitch head tracking is really the one you want for making nice shots.

In fact, the best mode would be gimbal-pitch + mavic-yaw with the head tracking. Please sexy forum staff put this wonderful recommendation to the programming staff. I know they will just love it!
2017-9-26
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Yes, .400 is the most stable build., and you only need to upgrade the Goggles only to .1000 for full head tracking.
.700 is another build that folks are really happy with.
They have had issues with gimbal resets, and NFZ's in the builds inbetween.
You should be able to set the tracking speed and damping in the App, once you have the Goggles updated to .1000, paired and running.
And just keep an eye on the firmware releases for the Maivic itself, and wait and see how others are finding it before you roll the dice.
At least you will have a solid baseline for how the Mavic did operate BEFORE you go ahead and update the firmware, and can notice if anything is amiss.....
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Flycaster Posted at 2017-9-26 11:29
Yes, .400 is the most stable build., and you only need to upgrade the Goggles only to .1000 for full head tracking.
.700 is another build that folks are really happy with.
They have had issues with gimbal resets, and NFZ's in the builds inbetween.

OK I have bumped Goggles up to 1000 from 0700, and then had to revert Mavic down to 0400 because head tracking was lost upgrading Goggles, and I must admit the gimbal pitch tracking is much better with this configuration, and since I don't need gimbal yaw tracking, I will stay with this setup for now. Thanks a bunch Flycaster!
2017-9-26
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-8-23 17:56

It's possible he was just being polite, and was trying to find a nice way to say:  "I want to be able to fly my Mavic without DJI's BS restrictions".  And .400 to the rescue.
2017-9-26
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

No go for Mavic 0400 with Goggles 1000. Yes indeed the gimbal pitch from head tracking is much smoother, but it still steps when starting or coming to a stop, just enough to look cheap. It is a shame because obviously the gimbal itself is capable of perfectly smooth motion.
2017-9-27
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Have you reset/recalibrated the gimbal after the firmware work? And then did you try to adjust speed and decel. of the gimbal ? there are 2 parameters that control speed and the decel. of the gimbal when you tilt up/down.
2017-9-27
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Flycaster Posted at 2017-9-27 05:56
Have you reset/recalibrated the gimbal after the firmware work? And then did you try to adjust speed and decel. of the gimbal ? there are 2 parameters that control speed and the decel. of the gimbal when you tilt up/down.

If you mean the two parameters in the Goggles to adjust sensitivity, I did try them, they don't not apply any smoothing, they just make the tracking less responsive. If you mean the gimbal settings in the GO app, they have no effect on tracking.

Also, it is not a calibration issue. The gimbal is buttery smooth with very high resolution motion, but with the head tracking, it steps and lurches, and appears to have no smoothing applied to it, rather it responds instantly and directly to the limited resolution of the tracking gyro in the goggles, possibly to reduce lag.
2017-9-27
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Did you try .700 on the Mavic, with .1000 on the Goggles?
2017-9-28
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Flycaster Posted at 2017-9-28 12:00
Did you try .700 on the Mavic, with .1000 on the Goggles?

I did. Mavic on 0700 has no head tracking on Goggles 0900 or 1000 at all. Nothing. Zero, zilch, none, nada, zip, rien, niets, nichts, niente.
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules